Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwalls won't pair with phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new 2 PW install and I was going to switch to off-grid mode while I wait for PTO. I see the PWs in my Tesla app and they have the green lights so I assume they are working on some level. But when I go to pair them with my phone (iPhone 13), it doesn't work. I click the start pairing button, it briefly flashes the screen with instructions about toggling switches, then it jumps to the screen where it says to toggle the switch back on. If I do, nothing happens, and it sits at this screen until it times out. I've tried this in several ways - switch off first, switch on first, toggle off and on, etc. - all to no effect.

After googling, I also tried logging all the way out of my Tesla app and back in, and then I tried deleting the Tesla app outright and reinstalling it. Nothing. Same exact behavior.

I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious here, so does anyone have any guidance? Appreciate it.

I am curious to see what responses you get. I did not know you could pair your Powerwall with a phone. I have the Tesla app and see the generic production Powerwall icon and associated energy flow. I also have applications I wrote using that connect to the Gateway using the published API to get individual and aggregate Powerwall statics and settings.

I am curious to see what responses you get. I did not know you could pair your Powerwall with a phone. I have the Tesla app and see the generic production Powerwall icon and associated energy flow. I also have applications I wrote using that connect to the Gateway using the published API to get individual and aggregate Powerwall statics and settings.
The go off grid mode is only enabled after you pair your phone. I am not sure what other functions it enables.

Reactions: jboy210
I have a new 2 PW install and I was going to switch to off-grid mode while I wait for PTO. I see the PWs in my Tesla app and they have the green lights so I assume they are working on some level. But when I go to pair them with my phone (iPhone 13), it doesn't work. I click the start pairing button, it briefly flashes the screen with instructions about toggling switches, then it jumps to the screen where it says to toggle the switch back on. If I do, nothing happens, and it sits at this screen until it times out. I've tried this in several ways - switch off first, switch on first, toggle off and on, etc. - all to no effect.

After googling, I also tried logging all the way out of my Tesla app and back in, and then I tried deleting the Tesla app outright and reinstalling it. Nothing. Same exact behavior.

I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious here, so does anyone have any guidance? Appreciate it.
I'm having the exact same problem on a new system. It's doing the same as you described. It looks like an opportunity to see what response I get from support.
I click the start pairing button, it briefly flashes the screen with instructions about toggling switches, then it jumps to the screen where it says to toggle the switch back on.

Both of you, make sure you are standing next to your powerwalls when you try to pair a phone with them, if you arent standing right next to them. Meaning, take your phone to the powerwall location, click the start pairing, then toggle (turn off, wait 1 second, then back on) the power toggle button on the side of only one of your powerwalls.

• Helpful
Reactions: n.one.one
The go off grid mode is only enabled after you pair your phone. I am not sure what other functions it enables.

I dont know if it does anything other than this either... it seems to me that the phone pairing only appeared when the go off grid option appeared in the app, and it appears to be a check / balance to ensure that you have physical access to the powerwalls before you are given the ability to plunge a house into darkness / no power using a cellphone. :)

Both of you, make sure you are standing next to your powerwalls when you try to pair a phone with them, if you arent standing right next to them. Meaning, take your phone to the powerwall location, click the start pairing, then toggle (turn off, wait 1 second, then back on) the power toggle button on the side of only one of your powerwalls.
Although I had already done what you suggested (multiple times) you gave me the confidence to try it again and it worked. The reality is I think it had been a temporary glitch because when I started the process it stayed on the instruction screen as opposed to only showing it briefly. When I toggled the PW switch it connected the phone. @NoxGrimstad you might want to try again to see if it's also solved for you.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin