TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vendor NEW - Premium Audio for the Std. Tesla Audio Package - Light Harmonic's S.4D 2

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by LightHarmonic, Aug 15, 2016.

1. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

Light Harmonic appreciates all the interest and feedback from all the posts here on TMC. Because of the feedback we have decided to move forward on finding a great Premium Audio solution for Tesla's with the Standard Audio Package.

Friday we announced our latest update: Tesla S.4D system will be released in two parts.

Why two parts? First, we’re releasing our custom-designed, 1.2 Ohm, four piece door speaker set for Tesla Model S, 100% compatible with the OEM speakers. Second, we’ll release an intuitive Class D amplifier and a 10in subwoofer and enclosure all specially engineered, designed, and built by our team. The amp will deliver 600W of continuous power to your sub, which will feature proprietary technology and custom impedance specifically designed for the Tesla Model S.

Because the Tesla standard audio package was an afterthought for Tesla, the vehicles do not come with the required wiring and amplification needed for higher quality audio. Our team is currently working off our S.12P package to make the most efficient modifications necessary for this system to bang the way we want it to, but perfection takes time. We want to build an incredible product, and you want to listen to one, hence a special 2-part release!

Here is feedback from reviewers at Teslarati:
    “A quick studio test, even partially mounted, showed that the LH set has significantly more depth, clarity and punch than the stock speakers. The factory ones sounded like a tipped over boom-box by comparison, but the LH ones could convince us the band was in the room.” - Teslarati

If you have any feedback or possible ideas on how we can make this package even better, we would love to hear it! It's because of you that S.4D 2 exists.

LH Labs

• Like x 1
  2. Dan43

Dan43 Member

One question about HiRes audio. New Model S75D due in 2 weeks and I have an entire HiRes collection based on a home NAIM system and is WAV 96/24 and 192/24 mostly.

Can the LH upgraded audio playback full WAV HiRes audio, apologies if this is answered on other threads. Thank you.

3. davidc18

davidc18 Member

I will be curious to see what they come up with.

• Dislike x 1
  4. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

Hello,

We are running some preliminary linear images along with textured renderings (for a more visual effect) of the enclosure for our in-house CNC machine purchased for the project. I was able to get some 3D images out on our Feedback page before we cut out prototypes of the enclosure. I would love to get your feedback HERE.

5. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

The Light Harmonic Amp will only amplify the outputed Audio signal. It will not do the decoding of a Digital to Analog converter (which we have much experience making). The Tesla head unit does the actual processing. Here is what we have seen so far.
    "Tesla supports a broad range of music formats from the more common MP3, MP4 and AAC (without DRM), as well as formats such as FLAC, AIFF, WAV, WMA and lossless WMA."

Thank you,

6. Marc_GA

Marc_GA Member

This looks a little cube-ish for the side trunk area. I would expect something a little more contoured.

I assume this is a ported sub from the pictures. I was really expecting a sealed unit.

7. Dan43

Dan43 Member

#7 Dan43, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Thanks.

I understand that WAV and FLAC can be replayed at differing compression levels, such as 320kbs which is a setting in Tesla audio I believe, when the full bandwidth is a lot wider bitrate.

Another issue is 24bit files replayed at 16bit. 96khz played as 44.1khz.

So a 96/24 or 192/24 bit file could be played as 16/44.1 at 320kbs, well below its Master original.

A 16-bit, 44.1kHz song requires a bitrate of 1.35 megabit/second of data, and a single minute of stereo audio takes up about 10 megabytes of space while a 24-bit song with a 96kHz sample rate requires a bitrate of 4.39mbps and requires 33 megabytes of storage for a single minute of stereo audio.

WAV/FLAC at 320kbs is nowhere near enough for full playback of these files, if uncompressed as Masters. (home rips or bought online from say HDTracks)

Is it then the case that Tesla audio unit is responsible for this level of processing? If yes are you in the market for supplying HiRes Audio at full bandwidth playback?

Apologies for the questions, those into their HiRes files are very much aware of some issues of true HiRes playback, especially in car audio. Thank you.

• Informative x 1
  8. marty2112

marty2112 Member

+1. I was expecting sealed and a more custom enclosure to fit into the side space. I can do without the couple extra low frequency Hz and port noise.

9. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

Yea, the enclosure needs to be a bit more than just a cube with some mounting brackets.

10. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

If you use FLAC or WAV in 192K, 176.4K, 96K, 88.4K. You could have the bit perfect playback without any issues. The DAC IC that Tesla us e in their head unit and Linux system with ALSA there is fully capable to work with highest 192K/24 bit.

Cheers,

11. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

So the great premium custom-designed specially engineering proprietary custom impedance subwoofer is a ported square box with 2 L-brackets on it?

• Funny x 4
  12. Caboom

Caboom Member

who does installs of your product in Los Angeles in the W Hollywood area?

thanks!

13. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

These are just prelims Max, It will evolve to an entirely different beast, please feel free to post any changes you would like in the design forum thread HERE.

14. JMG

JMG Member

Following with interest. Would love to add one to my LH upgraded amp and 4 door speakers.

15. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

We will have a good listening test for the original S12P + the new 10'' sub. to see if we could get even more synergy here.

16. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

Check it out guys, Look like Good Day Sac made a stop by the Lab. :)

part 1
    part 2

17. Naonak

Naonak Member

Is this intended to replace the factory sub? I'm not interested in a sub that goes in the side hole on the left side of the car. I store stuff there and i can get an NVX system if I wanted that. I'm only interested in one replacing the factory sub. Unde the trunk isn't an option either, I use that for storage as well.

18. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

This is for the standard audio system, not the upgraded system.

19. JMG

JMG Member

But I think he's asking if it goes where the stock sub would normally go or where the NVX sub would go.

To answer that question, I am pretty certain they are designing this to go where the stock sub goes. Judging by the two brackets that protrude out front.

Like you, I don't want to take up the storage space on the left, and have rear facing seats.

• Like x 1