TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New price adjustment to upgrade Sr to SR+

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by drosass, Jun 3, 2020.

1. NelsonC

NelsonC Member

I bought the AP last week at 2K.
    What I want to know is if the upgrade To SR+ will give me 240 or 250 mi.
    Hopefully they will have a discount for a full transition in the near future.
    Until then, I will stick to what I have.

2. vickh

vickh Active Member

I agree and took the AP on sale for $2K, mainly for resale, since my car is already labeled as SR+ and has fog lights/immersive sound. Just missing 20 miles of range is a non issue at 100% charging (only 200 now :( though)

BTW is the AP $2K sale price gone?

• Disagree x 1
  3. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

Just keep the SR and charge it to 100% instead of paying for SR+ and charging it to 90 routinely. Yes you lose that extra bit for road trips but really you are getting most of the benefit of the extra battery space already by having a software limited battery you can charge to 100% without having to worry about it.

4. smashcz

smashcz Member

I purchased SR for $35k, then later added AP for $3k. I asked service how much to upgrade to SR+ now, they said $2k. And if I didn't have autopilot it would cost $5k.
    It should be free now haha :) (I paid 38k and new SR+ now is 37,990)

5. vickh

vickh Active Member

I agree 100% (pun intended) , I just wish Tesla would disable the nag, makes me worry about warranty/ battery health

6. vickh

vickh Active Member

welcome to dynamic pricing :) The moral with Tesla is wait for quarter ends for good deals. Hopefully, you got better tax credits and are still ahead (I am with a 6/30/19 SR purchase+ 6/30/20 AP purchase!)

7. fritzner

fritzner Member

Now that there is only a $3k price difference between SR and SR+, I am just sitting back and holding out for the upgrade to drop to $3k ... seems like it should happen sooner or later.

We should all start tweeting at Elon around year end to help boost year end numbers.

• Like x 2
  8. fqueiroz

fqueiroz Member

Any updates on this?

9. Grubsteaks

Grubsteaks Member

I'm thinking of just buying the SR+ upgrade (no autopilot) for 2k. That gets me the added 10% range and a bit quicker acceleration. Immersive sound too I think. Then if autopilot goes on sale again for 2k, I'll pick that up too.

10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

#70 MP3Mike, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    I didn't think they offered it split out. You either do the whole upgrade or no upgrade. (Well you can add AP by itself, but not unlock the battery range.)

Has that changed?

11. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

I would be interested in seeing what @Grubsteaks shows in their tesla app as far as upgrades.

12. fritzner

fritzner Member

The way I understood it, someone added AP 1st then somehow negotiated a $2k upgrade to a full SR+. I am not sure if they would do it the other way around. But I could be wrong.

13. Grubsteaks

Grubsteaks Member

The upgrade is not in the app, however several TMC users have said it's possible. You have to send a service request essentially saying you want to upgrade to SR+ but you are not interested in Autopilot. Apparently it used to be $1500, now $2000. I think depending upon when you purchased your vehicle. A discussion took place on this thread:
    Upgrade from SR to SR+

14. jjrandorin

I remember that thread (and read it again to be sure). The statemet you are making is not anywhere in that thread. There is a person saying "Now that the price difference between the two cars is less than 5k, the service center thinks the price should go down." I think there was a person who bought just the AP upgrade, but there wasnt anyone who bought everything but the AP upgrade.

Maybe my reading comprehension isnt very good, but please point to someone saying "I paid for the full SR+ update without autopilot, and paid XXXX". The statements in that thread were "So and so told me to contact so and so" and after that, the person saying " So and so told me all upgrades are in the app".

TL ; DR, I am fairly sure what you are asking for doesnt exist (upgrade to SR+ features without AP, for 2-3k less than the regular upgrade which continues to be 5k). You could contact tesla and ask, and I am fairly sure you wouldnt get anywhere doing so.

15. Grubsteaks

Grubsteaks Member

On that thread, the user who said it was possible is:
    smashcz

I posed this question:
    "can you buy the update (range, speed, sound) without Autopilot for 2k?"

He responded: "Yes."

I've heard it's possible from other users on the official Tesla forum also.

16. jjrandorin

Reach out to tesla, and find out, and report back. He was asked to "post it here to help others" and did not post anything that would help anyone else go to tesla and do this.

In any case, like I said, reach out and get someone at tesla to actually give you a quote for that you can purchase, and report back.

17. Grubsteaks

Grubsteaks Member

I will reach out to Tesla when I'm ready to make the purchase. Not sure why you haven't reached out to Tesla if you're so interested in this issue??

18. jjrandorin

Im not interested in the issue other than being interested in tesla model 3s in general (I have a model 3 performance, so it doesnt impact me). What I am interested in, though, is trying to ensure that we have accurate information here on TMC as much as possible as one of the moderators.

Currently, there is no proof that someone can purchase a SR+ upgrade without purchasing autopilot. Its not available in the app (which is where tesla will drive all people who want to purchase) and you are stating "it can be done". There are quite a few people (even in this thread) who might be interested.

So, since you say "it can be done" but there is no proof anywhere that it can be, but you own a car where tesla will talk to you about it, I figured I would ask you to help the community by proving that someone from tesla would actually approve this, with some proof.

I cant ask, because I dont have an SR, so they wont talk to me about it even if I ask. Only someone with an SR could possibly get an exception (which is what it is, if its not in the app to be purchased). Its my guess that whenever you reach out to try to do this, you will find that its not possible, but I would love to be proven wrong on this because many SR owners would be happy.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  19. Grubsteaks

Grubsteaks Member

So update on this topic. They will not let me do the SR+ Upgrade WITHOUT Autopilot. I spoke with a service manager who said this may have been possible in late 2018/early 2019, but no longer is. It is technically possible but it can't be authorized in their systems. So bottom line, if you own an SR and want to unlock the full potential of your vehicle, you're forced to purchase Autopilot.

• Informative x 4
  20. jjrandorin

Really appreciate you taking the time to ask, and also circle back around and report out your specific results.