Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New price adjustment to upgrade Sr to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fog lights is a maybe because the current SR+ does not include them. Only full premium interiors now include the fog lights. Nobody would realistically pay the current upgrade price from SR to SR+ when AP is on sale for $2K. If the upgrade price is really $4,500 you are paying an extra $2,500 for 20 more miles and immersive sound. That’s crazy.

I agree and took the AP on sale for $2K, mainly for resale, since my car is already labeled as SR+ and has fog lights/immersive sound. Just missing 20 miles of range is a non issue at 100% charging (only 200 now :( though)

BTW is the AP $2K sale price gone?

• Disagree
Reactions: lateulade
Just keep the SR and charge it to 100% instead of paying for SR+ and charging it to 90 routinely. Yes you lose that extra bit for road trips but really you are getting most of the benefit of the extra battery space already by having a software limited battery you can charge to 100% without having to worry about it.

I purchased SR for $35k, then later added AP for $3k. I asked service how much to upgrade to SR+ now, they said $2k. And if I didn't have autopilot it would cost $5k.
It should be free now haha :) (I paid 38k and new SR+ now is 37,990)

Just keep the SR and charge it to 100% instead of paying for SR+ and charging it to 90 routinely. Yes you lose that extra bit for road trips but really you are getting most of the benefit of the extra battery space already by having a software limited battery you can charge to 100% without having to worry about it.

I agree 100% (pun intended) , I just wish Tesla would disable the nag, makes me worry about warranty/ battery health

I purchased SR for $35k, then later added AP for $3k. I asked service how much to upgrade to SR+ now, they said $2k. And if I didn't have autopilot it would cost $5k.
It should be free now haha :) (I paid 38k and new SR+ now is 37,990)

welcome to dynamic pricing :) The moral with Tesla is wait for quarter ends for good deals. Hopefully, you got better tax credits and are still ahead (I am with a 6/30/19 SR purchase+ 6/30/20 AP purchase!)

I'm thinking of just buying the SR+ upgrade (no autopilot) for 2k. That gets me the added 10% range and a bit quicker acceleration. Immersive sound too I think. Then if autopilot goes on sale again for 2k, I'll pick that up too.

I didn't think they offered it split out. You either do the whole upgrade or no upgrade. (Well you can add AP by itself, but not unlock the battery range.)

Has that changed?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of just buying the SR+ upgrade (no autopilot) for 2k. That gets me the added 10% range and a bit quicker acceleration. Immersive sound too I think. Then if autopilot goes on sale again for 2k, I'll pick that up too.

I didn't think they offered it split out. You either do the whole upgrade or no upgrade. (Well you can add AP byitself, but not unlock the battery range.)

Has that changed?

I would be interested in seeing what @Grubsteaks shows in their tesla app as far as upgrades.

The upgrade is not in the app, however several TMC users have said it's possible. You have to send a service request essentially saying you want to upgrade to SR+ but you are not interested in Autopilot. Apparently it used to be $1500, now $2000. I think depending upon when you purchased your vehicle. A discussion took place on this thread:
Upgrade from SR to SR+

I remember that thread (and read it again to be sure). The statemet you are making is not anywhere in that thread. There is a person saying "Now that the price difference between the two cars is less than 5k, the service center thinks the price should go down." I think there was a person who bought just the AP upgrade, but there wasnt anyone who bought everything but the AP upgrade.

Maybe my reading comprehension isnt very good, but please point to someone saying "I paid for the full SR+ update without autopilot, and paid XXXX". The statements in that thread were "So and so told me to contact so and so" and after that, the person saying " So and so told me all upgrades are in the app".

TL ; DR, I am fairly sure what you are asking for doesnt exist (upgrade to SR+ features without AP, for 2-3k less than the regular upgrade which continues to be 5k). You could contact tesla and ask, and I am fairly sure you wouldnt get anywhere doing so.

I remember that thread (and read it again to be sure). The statemet you are making is not anywhere in that thread. There is a person saying "Now that the price difference between the two cars is less than 5k, the service center thinks the price should go down." I think there was a person who bought just the AP upgrade, but there wasnt anyone who bought everything but the AP upgrade.

Maybe my reading comprehension isnt very good, but please point to someone saying "I paid for the full SR+ update without autopilot, and paid XXXX". The statements in that thread were "So and so told me to contact so and so" and after that, the person saying " So and so told me all upgrades are in the app".

TL ; DR, I am fairly sure what you are asking for doesnt exist (upgrade to SR+ features without AP, for 2-3k less than the regular upgrade which continues to be 5k). You could contact tesla and ask, and I am fairly sure you wouldnt get anywhere doing so.

On that thread, the user who said it was possible is:
smashcz

I posed this question:
"can you buy the update (range, speed, sound) without Autopilot for 2k?"

He responded: "Yes."

I've heard it's possible from other users on the official Tesla forum also.

On that thread, the user who said it was possible is:
smashcz

I posed this question:
"can you buy the update (range, speed, sound) without Autopilot for 2k?"

He responded: "Yes."

I've heard it's possible from other users on the official Tesla forum also.

Reach out to tesla, and find out, and report back. He was asked to "post it here to help others" and did not post anything that would help anyone else go to tesla and do this.

In any case, like I said, reach out and get someone at tesla to actually give you a quote for that you can purchase, and report back.

I will reach out to Tesla when I'm ready to make the purchase. Not sure why you haven't reached out to Tesla if you're so interested in this issue??

Im not interested in the issue other than being interested in tesla model 3s in general (I have a model 3 performance, so it doesnt impact me). What I am interested in, though, is trying to ensure that we have accurate information here on TMC as much as possible as one of the moderators.

Currently, there is no proof that someone can purchase a SR+ upgrade without purchasing autopilot. Its not available in the app (which is where tesla will drive all people who want to purchase) and you are stating "it can be done". There are quite a few people (even in this thread) who might be interested.

So, since you say "it can be done" but there is no proof anywhere that it can be, but you own a car where tesla will talk to you about it, I figured I would ask you to help the community by proving that someone from tesla would actually approve this, with some proof.

I cant ask, because I dont have an SR, so they wont talk to me about it even if I ask. Only someone with an SR could possibly get an exception (which is what it is, if its not in the app to be purchased). Its my guess that whenever you reach out to try to do this, you will find that its not possible, but I would love to be proven wrong on this because many SR owners would be happy.

Im not interested in the issue other than being interested in tesla model 3s in general (I have a model 3 performance, so it doesnt impact me). What I am interested in, though, is trying to ensure that we have accurate information here on TMC as much as possible as one of the moderators.

Currently, there is no proof that someone can purchase a SR+ upgrade without purchasing autopilot. Its not available in the app (which is where tesla will drive all people who want to purchase) and you are stating "it can be done". There are quite a few people (even in this thread) who might be interested.

So, since you say "it can be done" but there is no proof anywhere that it can be, but you own a car where tesla will talk to you about it, I figured I would ask you to help the community by proving that someone from tesla would actually approve this, with some proof.

I cant ask, because I dont have an SR, so they wont talk to me about it even if I ask. Only someone with an SR could possibly get an exception (which is what it is, if its not in the app to be purchased). Its my guess that whenever you reach out to try to do this, you will find that its not possible, but I would love to be proven wrong on this because many SR owners would be happy.

So update on this topic. They will not let me do the SR+ Upgrade WITHOUT Autopilot. I spoke with a service manager who said this may have been possible in late 2018/early 2019, but no longer is. It is technically possible but it can't be authorized in their systems. So bottom line, if you own an SR and want to unlock the full potential of your vehicle, you're forced to purchase Autopilot.

So update on this topic. They will not let me do the SR+ Upgrade WITHOUT Autopilot. I spoke with a service manager who said this may have been possible in late 2018/early 2019, but no longer is. It is technically possible but it can't be authorized in their systems. So bottom line, if you own an SR and want to unlock the full potential of your vehicle, you're forced to purchase Autopilot.

Really appreciate you taking the time to ask, and also circle back around and report out your specific results.