Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New price adjustment to upgrade Sr to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever people say "it's just software", despite being in the tech industry, i mostly agree with them. Developing hardware requires lots of upfront cost as well as an ongoing cost to produce. Software usually has a smaller upfront cost and a largely nominal ongoing cost so that scaling is infinite compared to hw. Tesla does pay their developers to continue to develop their SW but that fixed/stable cost is not impacted by whether they have 500 customers or 500,000 (customer service is another discussion).

That's why Tesla typically values FSD very low for trade-in's. It has value to the customer but no real inherent value to Tesla. They can just update any car with it because the SW already exists. Just like pushing SR to SR+ upgrade costs Tesla nothing.

"Software usually has a smaller upfront cost"?!?!?! NO! I've worked in software for decades and software products can be in development for years with zero income to the company. Dozens of software engineers making six-figure salaries plus a QA department plus a technical documentation department plus expensive servers and workstations and networks and an IT department to support it all. Software development is a HUGE money sink.

"Software usually has a smaller upfront cost"?!?!?! NO! I've worked in software for decades and software products can be in development for years with zero income to the company. Dozens of software engineers making six-figure salaries plus a QA department plus a technical documentation department plus expensive servers and workstations and networks and an IT department to support it all. Software development is a HUGE money sink.
I work in software development...i know. The upfront capital expenditure is far less than hardware and the profit margin potential is far higher because of how scalable it is. Just look at the most valuable companies in the stock market for the proof... they are all tech companies. Their high valuations are based on the idea that these tech companies can grow revenue with very little additional costs. Hire 10 developers, pay them $200k w/ no sales for 2 years and you've spent $4m and you could have a $1bn tech startup, or you could spend $1bn upfront building a manufacturing plant and have a product that fails in the market. The risk is much lower w/ SW and that is a pretty accepted maxim at this point. I'm not saying anything crazy here.

What's the SR price after the recent price adjustment? Is it sub-35k or still 35k?

still 35k. I doubt they'll lower it since it's a loss leader..

It isn't really just software. As it also unlocks more capacity out of the battery that they will have to warranty.

well AP upgrade is and to OP's point it makes no sense to buy SR at current price.

If it's 5k, I almost don't want to unlock the buffer. I feel it might be worth something to a buyer as a protected range boost in the future and I can charge to 100% w/o fear of damaging battery

So, I've sent Tesla customer service an email to ask about the new price on the SR+. I current have the SR with AP, which at the time, paid $38000, but the new price now for SR+ is $37990, when asked about this upgrade, they said I wouldn't be able to just get an upgrade, but will forward my question to corporate. They didn't say, what it would take to upgrade to SR+ for me and left it at that. I might pursue the question further, but I don't think there's a clear answer yet from Tesla corporate.

So, I've sent Tesla customer service an email to ask about the new price on the SR+. I current have the SR with AP, which at the time, paid $38000, but the new price now for SR+ is $37990, when asked about this upgrade, they said I wouldn't be able to just get an upgrade, but will forward my question to corporate. They didn't say, what it would take to upgrade to SR+ for me and left it at that. I might pursue the question further, but I don't think there's a clear answer yet from Tesla corporate.

keep us posted, but I'd expect a too bad, prices change reply. I hope I'm wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla should offer a reduced price for this upgrade or the SR is no longer a good value.

I also hope they offer some sort of price protection period or buyer might stay on the sidelines (typical deflation problem)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla should offer a reduced price for this upgrade or the SR is no longer a good value.

I also hope they offer some sort of price protection period or buyer might stay on the sidelines (typical deflation problem)

That’s not how any tech company works.
No tech companies, including Tesla would exist, if they gave money back to customers every time prices on tech dropped, or products improved and dropped in price.

If you owned a tech company, you would know why they, and no one else can do that.

My SA told me that if you want to upgrade from SR to SR+, all you have to do now is pay the difference, $2990.

Reactions: peakshaving
Well, a new buyer can just buy the SR+ if they want to. I would assume, it's only for existing owners.

"assuming" is normally not a great idea, especially when it comes to anything tesla related. Until an existing owner buys the upgrade for the price you specified, we could also "assume" that the SA was talking about the fact that the difference in cost between an SR and SR+ is 2990 (as an example).

Are you an existing model 3 SR owner, and succesfully purchased the upgrade to SR+ for the price you specified?