Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New price adjustment to upgrade Sr to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"assuming" is normally not a great idea, especially when it comes to anything tesla related. Until an existing owner buys the upgrade for the price you specified, we could also "assume" that the SA was talking about the fact that the difference in cost between an SR and SR+ is 2990 (as an example).

Are you an existing model 3 SR owner, and succesfully purchased the upgrade to SR+ for the price you specified?

I chatted with a Tesla agent today, and he assured me that applies to new buyers and existing ones.

I chatted with a Tesla agent today, and he assured me that applies to new buyers and existing ones.

Thats great! So, are you an existing owner who was able to successfully buy it from that tesla agent for that price?

It may seem like I am being "picky" but these forums are littered with "A tesla agent told me XXXX" that turns out to be incorrect, so if you actually were able to confirm buying it for that price yourself, rather than the tesla agent just "telling you" that would help those who are looking to do that a lot.

I have zero skin in this game myself, because I have a model 3P with FSD already, so am just interested in what tesla may or may not do.

It makes sense for them to do this, so hopefully they do and someone can confirm they successfully did it for that price, if you havent.

EDIT: Let me be clear, I dont doubt you were told that. I am not trying to say that the tesla rep didnt say that. What I am saying is, many times, tesla reps say things that turn out to be incorrect, so confirmation someone was actually able to do it helps validate.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have an SR without AP (voluntarily downgraded from an early SR+ without AP last year) and got it in writing from Tesla corporate that if I want to "re-upgrade" that my price is the difference between the SR+ price at the time that I choose to re-upgrade and $35,000. I was very specific about what I wanted him to say, anticipating that a price drop like this might occur in the future.

I've learned the hard way that it really doesn't matter what they say. You need to get it in writing. Because Tesla Corporate doesn't care what you where told. They don't even care if the dealer makes the change.

Just make sure you have him show it to you in writing, its added to your documentation. Then enjoy!

Lots of folks were told, in 'writing' by the CEO of Tesla, that if they paid $3000 for FSD they'd get a $1000 refund when Tesla (briefly) dropped the price to 2k.

Then when they asked for said refund were almost universally told- no, sorry, he only meant if you bought it in a really narrow date range he never mentioned and nobody else ever did either

AP by itself is now 2k, anyone try asking what going to SR+ would be after the change?

I went to my local service and they told me it wasn't possible to go from SR to SR+ which I knew wasn't accurate. I called Tesla support who gave me an internal document number of 53611 which describes the entire upgrade process and how to do it. I took that back inside to the service center and they still told me they had never heard of it, but would look it up and call me back. I didn't have much faith that would happen so I called yet again to Tesla support and they called a "more experienced" service center who ran my car and got the numbers. They said I can buy autopilot in the app for $2k and then the upgrade to SR+ would be $2k. I asked for an email stating that price but they said they couldn't do that and instead would get the service manager for my local service center to contact me. I'm not buying yet until someone can generate the SR+ order immediately after I add autopilot because we only have 48 hours to request a refund if that extra $2k ends up not being the case. I started my journey with a 2014 S85 with AP1, then my wife bought a LR RWD 3 when they were released, and then I swapped my S for the SR 3 last summer. It seems to be a crapshoot in regards to getting a straight answer from them on pretty much anything. I can't imagine a first time owner dealing with this sort of runaround.

Reactions: peakshaving
I went to my local service and they told me it wasn't possible to go from SR to SR+ which I knew wasn't accurate. I called Tesla support who gave me an internal document number of 53611 which describes the entire upgrade process and how to do it. I took that back inside to the service center and they still told me they had never heard of it, but would look it up and call me back. I didn't have much faith that would happen so I called yet again to Tesla support and they called a "more experienced" service center who ran my car and got the numbers. They said I can buy autopilot in the app for $2k and then the upgrade to SR+ would be $2k. I asked for an email stating that price but they said they couldn't do that and instead would get the service manager for my local service center to contact me. I'm not buying yet until someone can generate the SR+ order immediately after I add autopilot because we only have 48 hours to request a refund if that extra $2k ends up not being the case. I started my journey with a 2014 S85 with AP1, then my wife bought a LR RWD 3 when they were released, and then I swapped my S for the SR 3 last summer. It seems to be a crapshoot in regards to getting a straight answer from them on pretty much anything. I can't imagine a first time owner dealing with this sort of runaround.

Please let us know what you end up paying total for SR to SR+... I've gotten a 4500 quote from my service center in the past, they tell me it's 5000 now (but will honor the 4500). I probably wouldn't take it even at 4000 total that you got quoted. If it goes down to 3000 Elon can have my money!

Yeeesh. thanks for posting an update. I'm in the same boat as you except I am that first time owner running around. First time owning any car actually.

Debating getting regular autopilot or just getting the full upgrade. Please keep us updated and thanks for the hard work wrangling with Tesla Support!

If you have an SR why not just buy AP for $2K before the end of the month while it’s on sale. That gives you the main upgrade anyway. Is the extra 20 miles really worth $1000?

I agree. also SR @ 100% SOC is safe and almost the same as 90 % SR+ for daily use. The only time it makes a difference is road trips.

20 miles range (factor for trips only really, I do 100%SR anyways)
immersive sound
foglights.

Fog lights is a maybe because the current SR+ does not include them. Only full premium interiors now include the fog lights. Nobody would realistically pay the current upgrade price from SR to SR+ when AP is on sale for $2K. If the upgrade price is really $4,500 you are paying an extra $2,500 for 20 more miles and immersive sound. That’s crazy.

Reactions: vickh