Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New price rise??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just talking about IE with my wife yesterday. She works in the medical field and their facility mandates its use for displaying info to patients. Being in a technologically-proficient area, she constantly has the "Why in the hell are you trusting IE with my medical information?" discussion. She doesn't blame them, it is troubling, but their IT and the field in general are gung-ho on Microsoft proprietary tools so there's not much she can do.

I sent her this to show IT the next time they give her trouble for using Chrome on her own desktop. :biggrin: They already hate her because she uses a Mac at home.

I was just talking about IE with my wife yesterday. She works in the medical field and their facility mandates its use for displaying info to patients. Being in a technologically-proficient area, she constantly has the "Why in the hell are you trusting IE with my medical information?" discussion. She doesn't blame them, it is troubling, but their IT and the field in general are gung-ho on Microsoft proprietary tools so there's not much she can do.

I sent her this to show IT the next time they give her trouble for using Chrome on her own desktop. :biggrin: They already hate her because she uses a Mac at home.

The problem is many of these old tools have been made for IE6, require ActiveX and stuff like that. Another aspect comes down to the fact that IT is lazy. It is much easier to just take one version of IE and apply security policies to it and keep it up until the end of that Windows extended support timeline. Even going with FireFox ESR which needs to only be updated once every year is too much hassle.

But if you see what those IT are using themselves at home, they most likely are not using IE.

The problem is many of these old tools have been made for IE6, require ActiveX and stuff like that. Another aspect comes down to the fact that IT is lazy. It is much easier to just take one version of IE and apply security policies to it and keep it up until the end of that Windows extended support timeline. Even going with FireFox ESR which needs to only be updated once every year is too much hassle.

But if you see what those IT are using themselves at home, they most likely are not using IE.
Right. It's understandable, but amusing. Apple, Mozilla, and Google are within a few miles of here, their employees are constant customers, and they're using IE because of ActiveX. There are alternatives to ActiveX other offices use, but IT there is pretty rabidly pro-Microsoft and anti-Apple/Google/Mozilla. I'd be incredibly surprised if they used anything but IE at home.

I thought it was funny because this affords a little "Look, IE costs people money!" comeback after they make fun of her for using Chrome/Macs/whatever for the hundredth time.

I tried Chrome. Hated it. Google tracks you system and collates the data to use for data mining also.

I use Firefox because I can personalize it to look and behave how I like. That, or Tor Browser. I use Tor for sites I know will track your off-site activities. Yahoo has said they will ignore the "Do Not Track" request in browsers.

IE is end of life anyway. Microsoft is coming out with new browser called Edge.

Yes, but users are reporting it's not working in Edge either.

It's possible Tesla has some IE specific code that is incorrect. Lots of development shops have one set of code that runs on IE and another for other browsers (instead of just making the one set of code work on both browsers). Obviously Tesla didn't fully test their site on IE before releasing the latest changes yesterday.

The website code for IE11 has a lot of problems. Tesla did not test with IE 11 or they would have seen it. As to "IT not liking Apple/Google" that is an incorrect assumption. There are lots of enthusiasts of all stripes in IT. Believe it or not, IBM has more iOS users then just about any other company, including Apple.

Right. It's understandable, but amusing. Apple, Mozilla, and Google are within a few miles of here, their employees are constant customers, and they're using IE because of ActiveX. There are alternatives to ActiveX other offices use, but IT there is pretty rabidly pro-Microsoft and anti-Apple/Google/Mozilla. I'd be incredibly surprised if they used anything but IE at home.

I thought it was funny because this affords a little "Look, IE costs people money!" comeback after they make fun of her for using Chrome/Macs/whatever for the hundredth time.

Well different areas have their fanboys so I can't comment for your area in specific. But talking from a general standpoint, enforcing use of IE at work is pretty much the easy way to go even if they at home prefer a different browser. And replacing ActiveX is the smart way to go but unfortunately a lot of companies are still dependent on old software. And they will not switch until it breaks or they have no choice.

I tried Chrome. Hated it. Google tracks you system and collates the data to use for data mining also.

I use Firefox because I can personalize it to look and behave how I like. That, or Tor Browser. I use Tor for sites I know will track your off-site activities. Yahoo has said they will ignore the "Do Not Track" request in browsers.

There is always Chromium for people who do not want Google's version. I use both Chromium and FireFox personally with Opera on the side. As far as Yahoo ignoring Do not track, I think that is IE only.

Yes, but users are reporting it's not working in Edge either.

It's possible Tesla has some IE specific code that is incorrect. Lots of development shops have one set of code that runs on IE and another for other browsers (instead of just making the one set of code work on both browsers). Obviously Tesla didn't fully test their site on IE before releasing the latest changes yesterday.

My guess is the developers made the site on a Mac, checked Safari, Chrome, FireFox and it all worked so they thought it was fine. And making 1 set of code work on all browsers is kind of hard. Generally webkit/blink and Gecko try to keep compatibility in rendering, IE often times renders differently so you need to make custom code for IE plenty of times.

Instead of Chrome you can use Chromium. It's the open source part of Chrome with none of the Google stuff. You miss out on a few things, though. I can't remember what, but it's not very much.

My guess is the developers made the site on a Mac, checked Safari, Chrome, FireFox and it all worked so they thought it was fine. And making 1 set of code work on all browsers is kind of hard.

Not really, I've been doing it for nearly 20 years and libraries such as jQuery usually help avoid such browser issues.

Normally, I find that if it I develop it in IE, it will work in IE, Chrome and Firefox. If I develop in Chrome or Firefox, it doesn't always work in IE. While I prefer Chrome for personal use, I typically use IE when developing to ensure it works on other browsers as well.

- - - Updated - - -

It's completely inexcusable that it's still wrong.

I can't imagine no one let them know. I just sent them a quick email just in case.

I let them know right away via two different methods. The email that I sent received an automated response right away but no other response since. The bug tracking site that I used said it wasn't a vulnerability and rejected it. I pointed out that it was a BUG, not a vulnerability but haven't heard back.

The website code for IE11 has a lot of problems. Tesla did not test with IE 11 or they would have seen it.
I see the problem in IE10, IE11, and Edge. What's odd is that historically they've gone to apparently some lengths to support even ancient IE flavors. This can be seen in the page content itself:
<!--[if lt IE 7 ]> <html class="no-js ie6" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en" dir="ltr"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7 ]> <html class="no-js ie7" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en" dir="ltr"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8 ]> <html class="no-js ie8" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en" dir="ltr"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 9 ]> <html class="no-js ie9" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en" dir="ltr"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if (gt IE 9)|!(IE)]><!--> <html class="no-js" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en" dir="ltr"> <!--<![endif]-->

Not really, I've been doing it for nearly 20 years and libraries such as jQuery usually help avoid such browser issues.

Normally, I find that if it I develop it in IE, it will work in IE, Chrome and Firefox. If I develop in Chrome or Firefox, it doesn't always work in IE. While I prefer Chrome for personal use, I typically use IE when developing to ensure it works on other browsers as well.

Yes, jquery does help manage some of those issues, my point was on the rending front. And your experience matches mine that webkit/gecko try to render with compatibility, but for IE unless you develop on IE it often times renders differently. This becomes more of a problem when someone is developing on a Mac where developing on IE is not really an option for the most part.

Yes, jquery does help manage some of those issues, my point was on the rending front. And your experience matches mine that webkit/gecko try to render with compatibility, but for IE unless you develop on IE it often times renders differently. This becomes more of a problem when someone is developing on a Mac where developing on IE is not really an option for the most part.

I'll have to admit that I have to run some things by my coworker (who uses a Mac). He typically develops using Firefox or Safari and often has IE related issues that I have to point out to him.

Things definitely can render differently in different browsers but this is a business logic issue and should work exactly the same in all browsers. Obviously, they have a problem in their code and it's not the browser's fault.

There may be another issue. I just did the same with IE and Firefox, the prices on the sites are identical. Both Cash Prices are $85,000. Odd. I uninstalled Chrome due to security issues, and use Firefox mainly with IE as a back up browser (crashes).