TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New pricing not as rosy as it appears

Discussion in 'Model S' started by brucet999, Apr 9, 2015.

1. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

At first glance, I thought the price for my soon-to-be-ordered S85 configuration had gone down by $2800 under the new pricing. Then I looked more closely:

-$4200 Tech package is gone, replaced by Auto Pilot at $2500
    -Automatic lift gate, door handle puddle lights and cornering lights from Tech Package moved to Premium package for $5,000 - OK, I can live without those anyway, although the ability to limit how high the hatch would open would have been useful to clear my garage door.
    -Destination and Doc fee increased to $1200 and no longer is included in the posted price and options list, but has to be added to the price.

Conclusion: Price declined, but only by $1600 and some nice options disappeared from the mix.

2. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Destination and Doc fee increased $30. I know that will push down the demand curve but hey Tesla is production constrained not demand constrained.

Only $1600 in savings? The Bastards!

Seriously, putting the power liftgate in the premium package (i.e.premium materials package) is dastardly. :cursing:

3. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

My point was not that the delivery fee was increased slightly, but rather that it is now a fine print add-on instead of included in the prominently posted price.

4. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

The fact the supercharging is now includes is an effective $2k price drop for the person who would have been buying a 60.

5. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

I park in a mulit-floor garage, rated for 6'6". The Chevy Tahoe (w/Z71 rack) works fine. Without limiting liftgate height, the Tesla's hatch goes right into the pipes. Its a small detail, within new "rosy" pricing. I don't know how many people spend for 'Auto Pilot Convenience' features, and what you get in the $5k Premium Package, but believe Tesla landed well if they were attempting to separate necessity from "premium" function. I'm still bummed they want $2,500 for Sirius XM.

6. Electric1

Electric1 Member

Not only $2500, but you must buy the pano roof. A real bummer

7. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

You do get a few extra speakers and a heck of a lot of extra bass for that $2500, too. :)

I used to be a big Sirius XM fan on previous cars, but now I find that the music selection and sound quality is so much better with Slacker and Tunein that I hardly ever use XM any more. You can even find some of the same live news streams on Tunein, like CNN, NPR, and Bloomberg.