Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right, there was nothing wrong with the brake switch because you were able to start the car and drive. The brake switch is fed from Fuse 43 and the brake switch has 2 contacts - Brake off and Brake on. These 2 lines are then fed to the Drive Inverter, Central Gateway, and Body Control Module ( BCM ). If there is a fault in the brake switch, then the Drive Inverter would not get a proper Brake off signal voltage and you wouldn't be able to drive. That leaves the Central gateway and BCM to be diagnosed.

Ouch. When it's like that you step outside and your face hurts. Hate that!
Sounds like corrosion on one of the "posts". I had the same issue in the Fall and was getting all sorts of warnings on the big screen.
Eventually, I had to have it towed as the power steering failed while driving. Luckily I was able to pull off to the side of the road.
At this point I had enough.
Service cleaned the contact points of this "post", not sure what it means, but the problem was gone after that. Sounds like a battery contact post that powers all the driving electronics.

As for the precise pattern of the symptoms... I doubt they considered my input as authoritative, and may not have actually gotten all the details I passed along. Very few of their customers are engineers experienced in debugging complex systems...
And that's where technicians get in trouble. If they can't reproduce the problem, they MUST take your input as authoritative. Sure, they can feel free to ignore you when you say "it must be module Y", but they can't ignore you when you say "it does X when I do Z" which is exactly what they did to you. When they do that they guarantee that they won't fix the problem, which costs their employer money, and contributes to long delays for appointments, and customer dissatisfaction.

I was a technician for 15 years, and supervised for another 2. I hate it when techs ignore what the customer says just so that they can do the easy thing instead of the right thing.

Intermittent problems are hard to solve, but they become impossible if you don't listen to the person who's actually experienced the issue.

As for "not getting the details [you] passed along", That's why I strongly believe that "service advisors" have no place in a repair shop. You should explain your problem to the mechanic.