TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Problem

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Doug_G, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Ouch. When it's like that you step outside and your face hurts. Hate that!

2. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

You are right, there was nothing wrong with the brake switch because you were able to start the car and drive. The brake switch is fed from Fuse 43 and the brake switch has 2 contacts - Brake off and Brake on. These 2 lines are then fed to the Drive Inverter, Central Gateway, and Body Control Module ( BCM ). If there is a fault in the brake switch, then the Drive Inverter would not get a proper Brake off signal voltage and you wouldn't be able to drive. That leaves the Central gateway and BCM to be diagnosed.

• Informative x 3
  3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

When it drops below -30 I wear a balaclava. Better dealing with the discomfort of that than frostbite.

4. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Also very stylish when doing a bank withdrawal.

• Funny x 6
  5. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

Sounds like corrosion on one of the "posts". I had the same issue in the Fall and was getting all sorts of warnings on the big screen.
    Eventually, I had to have it towed as the power steering failed while driving. Luckily I was able to pull off to the side of the road.
    At this point I had enough.
    Service cleaned the contact points of this "post", not sure what it means, but the problem was gone after that. Sounds like a battery contact post that powers all the driving electronics.

6. green1

green1 Active Member

And that's where technicians get in trouble. If they can't reproduce the problem, they MUST take your input as authoritative. Sure, they can feel free to ignore you when you say "it must be module Y", but they can't ignore you when you say "it does X when I do Z" which is exactly what they did to you. When they do that they guarantee that they won't fix the problem, which costs their employer money, and contributes to long delays for appointments, and customer dissatisfaction.

I was a technician for 15 years, and supervised for another 2. I hate it when techs ignore what the customer says just so that they can do the easy thing instead of the right thing.

Intermittent problems are hard to solve, but they become impossible if you don't listen to the person who's actually experienced the issue.

As for "not getting the details [you] passed along", That's why I strongly believe that "service advisors" have no place in a repair shop. You should explain your problem to the mechanic.

• Like x 5
  7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Surprise! It needs a new drive unit. Didn't see that coming.

• Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I wonder if too much moisture got into the inverter.

9. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Let's hope thats it and not an intermittent in the "brake off" line from the brake switch to the inverter.

10. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Member

Your car will be essentially new with all the repairs you have had to endure.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yep. I think half the car has been replaced over the years.

12. CadillacJack

CadillacJack Member

Wow Doug - I read your posts with a bit of angst knowing that my S2077 will probably run into similar challenges in the future. I'm only at 45k so it might take a while. I did start getting the 'clunk' during acceleration/regen and they're going to look at that next week.

13. Shorty

Shorty Member

Funny I said the same thing to my Tesla rep when I traded my S2018 in! Don't get my wrong, I loved my original S, but I find that the new cars are just so much more refined.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, the P90D Ludicrous I had during my annual service was simply awesome.

Psst Tesla - wanna trade? You can avoid 4 more years of trucking S2006 to Montreal for free!

• Funny x 1
  15. Shorty

Shorty Member

I traded my car in against an inventory AP2 75D. I thought that Tesla was pretty fair in assessing trade in values.

16. dj905

dj905 Member

Hi Doug, I traded my '13 P85 for a '16 P90D in September... very happy so far.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Jealous! But I'm reluctant to give up my Anywhere Plan until they build an Ottawa service center.

• Helpful x 1
  18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Still waiting for the new drive unit. Apparently it is back-ordered.

Between the annual service and this problem I've been driving loaners for almost four weeks now!

19. BBone

BBone Member

Mr Elbe - had a great LOL chuckle on that one. We are sooo Canadian!

20. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Do you always manage to get Tesla loaners? My last 3 have been Enterprise. Is there a trick?