Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I make the annual service reservation well ahead of time - that helps.

Frankly I was surprised to get a Model S when my car failed the day after I got it back. We were into the holiday season so maybe they didn't have as much on schedule.

LOL the current loaner also has some intermittent issues, apparently started when I got the car. I'm cursed! Tesla says they think it has a bad ground. Parking sensors randomly fail, the frunk latch alarm goes off for no reason and goes away a fraction of a second later. Occasionally the theft alarm goes off spontaneously.

Tesla offered to take it back and give me an Enterprise, but the problems are mostly just amusing, and you never know what you're going to get with a rental. I had a kinda terrifying adventure with one a couple of years ago. Ford Fiasco... uh Fiesta.... with worn summer tires in the worst snowstorm of the season!

Apparently so. The loaner is glitchy, but it's just a source of amusement. The car alarm has gone off a few times. Other than that it's just momentary glitches while driving. The only real annoyance is that I can't use the cruise control because it kicks off when the glitch happens. Not the end of the world.

My car is still at service, waiting for a drive unit. Apparently they are back ordered. Between the annual service and this problem the car has been gone a month.

I offered to go down to Fremont and kick somebody, but it didn't help. :p

They're now saying the drive unit will arrive on the 24th. Fingers crossed.

They're now saying the drive unit will arrive on the 24th. Fingers crossed.

Hi Doug,

Do you think the drive units being back ordered is because Tesla is too focused on new sales and they are not reserving enough units for existing owners until it's needed? This is my concern with the 3, I just haven't seen the company prepare as best it could even with just the S and X to deal with but when I get a 3 like the hundreds of thousands of others how can this work out really?

Maybe the GF1 will be shooting out drive units as fast as bullets! We'll need them!

PS - Amazing to see 16,000 messages hit!

Oh wow, I didn't notice the 16,000 until you pointed it out!

If history is any guide, the Model 3 launch will be a bit rocky, and then it will settle down. Scaling up suddenly is very hard to do. You don't want to build out gobs of infrastructure in advance because then you're paying people and facilities to sit around doing nothing much. Any delay in launch makes this worse. But if you wait it's impossible to ramp up fast enough to keep up. So it's a bit rocky, and then things settle out, and then they make the next big move. Tesla has gone through waves of this over the years, and we can expect it to continue. But there's no reason to expect this to be worse than the Model S launch; it's just the same thing scaled up 10X - it's actually not as big a jump as it was in 2012. Tesla had very little infrastructure when they launched the S. I'm hopeful it will go more smoothly - their product and the company itself have had time to mature.

My approach for the Model 3 was to wait until they had 100,000 on order, then put mine in. They'll have some time to work out the glitches in the cars and in service before mine arrives. In the meantime I have my Model S.

As for my drive unit, they're probably using refurbs for servicing cars. Maybe they don't have enough broken drive units! :p

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
I've had my drive unit replaced twice. The first time, in May 2015, there was a 10-week wait for it to come in. At that time, they were dealing with many drive unit replacements for the "milling noise" problem (including mine) so there was probably a waiting list for refurbished units. Then in May 2016 it was replaced again and there was no wait. That time, I had just asked them to check it while it was in for other service because there was a bit of new noise again, and they replaced it while it was there for 3 days. I don't know why there would be a long wait again now.

In 2015 they installed a rev M unit, and last year it was rev Q. Hopefully they have all these issues sorted out by now.

Reactions: Falkirk
I've had my drive unit replaced twice. The first time, in May 2015, there was a 10-week wait for it to come in. At that time, they were dealing with many drive unit replacements for the "milling noise" problem (including mine) so there was probably a waiting list for refurbished units. Then in May 2016 it was replaced again and there was no wait. That time, I had just asked them to check it while it was in for other service because there was a bit of new noise again, and they replaced it while it was there for 3 days. I don't know why there would be a long wait again now.

In 2015 they installed a rev M unit, and last year it was rev Q. Hopefully they have all these issues sorted out by now.
Mine was just done before Xmas, and it runs better now than it ever has.

Reactions: SmartElectric

This will be my fourth drive unit.

The first one developed the milling noise in February 2014. It was replaced quickly with a rev B.

In April 2015 the second one failed catastrophically while driving; the car stopped dead in the middle of the road. That was replaced promptly with a Rev H.

December 2016 the third drive unit apparently developed some kind of electrical glitch that caused the car to think I was braking when I wasn't. I'm still waiting for a replacement; they're saying it should arrive around the 24th. That will be my fourth. Sounds like I need a Q! (Or better.)

My car was supposed to come back today, but it didn't show up. Then they sent me a quick message saying they had "another kind of alert" and their field engineer was looking at it.

Poor thing. :(

UPDATE! They located a bad connector, which happens to be under the passenger seat. They're working overtime to replace it. They plan to do an extended road test tomorrow, and I should have the car back on Monday.

Gotta love intermittent problems...

Last edited:
LOL now the loaner has an electrical problem. It had an intermittent glitch earlier, but now it's failed hard. Lots of error messages, but front right headlight, DRL, and turn blinker are all dead, and that's a show stopper. Time for Enterprise.

I'm cursed!
Headlight Probably went bad or another loose connector.
With the issue your telling me doesn't sounds like a drive unit but hey can't complain for free new parts.
sounds like a connector was loose or a circuit fault.

Headlight Probably went bad or another loose connector.
With the issue your telling me doesn't sounds like a drive unit but hey can't complain for free new parts.
sounds like a connector was loose or a circuit fault.

Not the headlight. I also got errors from front hood latch, air suspension, low coolant, amd weird flashing patterns from the parking loghts and fog lights.

Anyway not my car... someone else's problem!

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike