Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got the service invoice, and it looks like I've got my original (3rd) drive unit still. Sounds like they swapped it, found the problem wasn't fixed, and swapped back again. Given that drive units are apparently in short supply, I can understand...

The reason i asked is I've experienced a situation where the left front wheel well was jammed with enough snow that the wheel wouldn't turn initially, it just slid on the snow. Even though the wheel quickly freed, the car had detected a problem and the speedometer read a fixed 6 km/hr and the odometers froze until I could pull over and restart the car (got out to check for problems and when i restarted the car, everything worked).

So the display always shows my trip starting at 3:28 PM. It's currently at 53 hours something. I've seen negative. So it's many days in the past. All other values are zero no matter how much I drive.

But the main speedometer and odometer works just fine.

IMG_6031.JPG

The Energy App simply doesn't work at all.

IMG_6035.JPG

Last edited:
After working perfectly for several weeks, we have weird gremlins again!

I got in the car after work, closed the door, and it bounced open again. The door wouldn't latch. The window raised up so it knew the door was closed, but the latch wouldn't fire. Spent five minutes fiddling with it and finally got the door to stay closed.

Then we arrived home, parked in the garage, and closed the doors and went inside. I came back out an hour later and the passenger door had popped itself open. The handle lights were lit and the HVAC was running. Go figure.

Drove off to a club meeting. A few hours later drove home, and while on the highway the glove compartment popped open.

Then I noticed that the air suspension failed icon was lit. Sure enough, the suspension is now stuck on LOW.

WTF???

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Doug, maybe it's time to upgrade :) , especially with the new rebate. Signature issues are really interesting...
Yesterday I was almost convinced to upgrade to an inventory 75D, but we have to buy a house in Ottawa in the next 2 months for when we move back.
I just returned a P90DL loaner I had for a week and man, the new cars are much better quality-wise. Mine is treating me well so far so I can wait for a bit.

I just returned a P90DL loaner I had for a week and man, the new cars are much better quality-wise. Mine is treating me well so far so I can wait for a bit.

The early cars are often described as "snowflakes" since they are very unique as this was when Tesla was iterating their designs very quickly. I also had a P90FL loaner a while back and honestly can say I didn't think the build quality was any better than my Feb 2013 build S85. Sure, it had a lot more features, but my car is still very solid, rattle-free and the tan interior has held up extremely well after almost 130,000 km of use.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Doug ...the woes you seem to have on your 12' signature...it does make one wonder about the long term virtues of holding onto the T past the 4yr-5yr mark. If it were any other ICE vehicle, perhaps a trade in would be further considered? The number of issues you are going through on a continuous basis...I'm sorry to hear of ANY Tesla owner having to experience it. (Reminds me of a used bmw...amazing for the 4yr/80k and then usually plagued with non stop issues afterwards.)

I leased vs bought my 16' 90D for 4yrs...not knowing the longevity of this design and it's long term build quality vs short term. By 2020 and after 8yrs of model S reviews, I'll be more sure of whether to buy out or trade in.

You must really love your 'Signature' Doug to go through it all so calm. I'm sure you've done the cost/benefit on maintaining your model vs an upgrade! I'm not sure many of us would have held on by now lol.