TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Product= P75D?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Ingenieur, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Member

I heard from former employee that was developed and is basically in drawer, back when he was with Tesla they didnt greenlight it (P70D back then) fearing it would canibalize P85D, now with P100DL, there is more distance.

He expects it to be priced around same as S90D but to have somewhere around 3,5 sec 0-60 time.

Its about only thing Tesla could use to increase short term demand, as AP 2.0 software isnt finished yet.
    They may also start putting AP 2.0 hardware in cars though.

• Dislike x 1
  2. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

Interesting. Although I think short term demand can also be supported by 5 seat Model X

3. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

In this thread it looks like someone may have come across one

P75D Model S???

• Dislike x 1
  4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Interesting...as I read another post earlier today where someone said they were considering the P70D (or was it P75D). I thought about pointing out there is NOT a P70D...but maybe they knew something I don't.

5. DIL

DIL Member

They seem to be homing in on the sweet spot for price/performance/range. P75D may be ideal. Fueling the speculation for 10/17?

6. HumanGenome

HumanGenome Member

Doesn't really make sense economically. $30k of performance upgrades compared to the cost difference of the 75 and the 100 kw batteries ($15-20k) is a big difference for a huge loss in range.

7. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Rampant speculation that doesn't really make any sense.

• Like x 1
  8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

You know this is TMC, right?

A better name would be the TMRSC.

• Funny x 3
  9. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Well now.... There's shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

To a common consumer, getting a P75D would be basically a $40-50k discount off a P100D (which includes $10k Ludicrous mode). It would actually cannibalize the future non-P 100D but it would be a good seller since it is going down-market.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I just want Tesla to bring back the + suspension as an option for any P-D car.

Wait! Maybe that's what the big reveal is on the 17th!

Like the Spanish Inquisition, nobody would expect that.

(j/k)

• Like x 2
  12. Boourns

Boourns Member

If they are going to do it, they would want to slot it above a loaded Model 3. So P75D Model S is $80k-$90k and a PxxD Model 3 is $60k -$70k? I guess that might make some sense. The Model 3 will have a Performance w/ Ludicrous version, which almost certainly will have a smaller battery than 100kWh. So if they are going to put that drive train in a 3 why not an S. If it happens I think we would have confirmation that the highest Model 3 will also be P75D.

13. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

X60 is gone and I expect S60 to be gone by the time M3 comes out to make room down below. Especially with the 75-battery being used in today's MS 60.

Something like:
    360, 375, X+S 75 variations, and X+S 100 variations

• Like x 1
  14. DIL

DIL Member

^^This.

It's quite disappointing that "P" only gives better straight-line performance. This is basically a muscle car. Instead, P should be a refined sport-tuned options package that includes:
    - modified suspension calibrated for performance or better still, adaptive variable suspension using magnetorheological dampers (like the new NSX)
    - RWD (non-D) as an option
    - "added lightness" as they say at Aston Martin, like increased use of composite materials to push CG even further down, lightweight sport bucket seats and lightweight forged wheels to reduce unsprung mass
    - additional s/w settings tailored for different performance drive modes
    - torque vectoring aka yaw control from side to side, not just front to back
    - improved high capacity cooling system for track days**

**I know, I know. It's just a wish list folks!

• Like x 1
  15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm just disappointed that likely *any* Tesla I buy in the future won't have the + suspension that I love so dearly.

I might have to buy another M5 instead.

• Like x 1
  16. oneday

oneday Member

The occasional complaint that often comes up is that the electric refrigerant compressor is too loud, this could be a feature/option (for certain gear heads) on the P models as well. It might not fully replace the exhilaration from hearing the roar of a 500 big block, but refrigerant compressors can get pretty loud. J/S

17. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

As far as my knowledge goes, you can still 'retrofit' that suspension type on your future Model S's.
    To support the Classic (and few AP) models, they still have to keep those parts available for purchase, anyhow. And there'll be enough supply from salvage, as most damages seem to be on front parts.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

For the right price, you could maybe talk me out of my Dec. '14 P85D...