Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New project: Credit Card sized Key Fob, measuring interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting idea! What about the frunk/trunk buttons? I wouldn't need to have my key fob with me at all if the credit card -sized thingy would have some way of opening frunk/trunk. No need for a lock/unlock button since I use the walk-away locking.

I could probably most of the time just use the credit-card key even if it had no buttons, but it would be difficult to know for sure before a trip. :)

Edit: Is this the same thing? Tesla credit card key - who's interested?

Ya know if you're feeling particularity ambitious why not shoot for something like a ring. It could have sections around it for pressing to replicate the fob buttons or even include a gyroscope to support being spun around your finger in various directions for different controls. After wearing it a few hours owners would forget they even have it on and it would become completely natural. Just my $.02.

Looking into the interest level of creating a key fob that is the approximate size of a credit card. Put it in your wallet or purse and forget it is the idea.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I like this a lot. The car is accessible. The frunk can be opened from the dash, the rear opens with the push handle. The app on your phone does many things without the fob. The only time I need my fob is when I walk up to the car and it presents handles. I believe that takes generating a signal, and don't know how that works in a card. I know that with a dead battery in the fob, you must put the fob in certain specific places in order to get some kind of work around, so your card must be able to send more than a low power RFID reflection signal. Not sure how this is going to work, but I bet it would be doable, maybe common in ten years.

This was a good idea a while ago. The rumors are that 6.0 firmware allows starting the car from the iPhone app, and android app to be added soon. I think the app will be able to replace the keyfob entirely, so it's a bit late to the party to be designing a wallet key fob... Yes, the app has to be opened, run etc, but you don't have to carry anything special, most already have a smart phone.

This is not a new concept. My Lexus LS600hL came with just such a key 6 years ago.

DSC_0017.jpg

count me in.... I primarily park in two 2 locations and they are both secure. I generally leave the fob for my Range Rover in the car all the time. I am awaiting the arrival of my P85 and am dreading the thought of having to carry a fob and the inevitable loss that follows.