Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New public EV chargers at the Grand Canyon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think tmoz is talking about the Havasupai trail. I have not been so cannot comment. Can confirm that the road out to Skywalk was unpaved about 3 years ago and I assume it still is. Was not a tough road though. I would be willing to take a Tesla out there and just drive slowly and hopefully avoid windshield dings. That being said, the Skywalk was such a tourist trap that we turned around and left rather than pay their exorbitant FEES for everything (they were seriously charging like $20/pic for pics taken with your own camera lol).
Yes, I was talking about the Havasupai trail that goes down to Havasu Falls/Mooney Falls/Village of Supai.
I've been tempted to see the Skywalk, but out of first principles, wish to avoid it.
Next thing you know, they'll put some garbage structure in near the Little Colorado River junction with the Colorado River - which has actually been proposed and has horrified anyone who has been down there. Current status is that those plans are on hold, I do believe.

Google Maps

tmoz, the prices have gone up for the falls. $600 for 2 of us to camp for three nights which is the minimum. Pretty crazy amount to sleep in a tent for a few nights, however figured once in a lifetime trip. I am hoping I can get a trickle charge at the Hualapai Lodge in Peach Springs which is 65-70 miles to Supai. Still figuring out if I can take the tesla there or not.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
tmoz, the prices have gone up for the falls. $600 for 2 of us to camp for three nights which is the minimum. Pretty crazy amount to sleep in a tent for a few nights, however figured once in a lifetime trip. I am hoping I can get a trickle charge at the Hualapai Lodge in Peach Springs which is 65-70 miles to Supai. Still figuring out if I can take the tesla there or not.
Yes, I did hear the rates went up to $100 per night. While this is a lot, I do think it is totally worth it.
The helicopter rides used to be $75 one way, which I also thought was crazy low. Mules used to be about $120 to carry 4 packs one way. Used to carry my own, but if too many people in the group needed a mule, I wasn't opposed to taking the 4th spot.
Peach Springs is a hole in the wall. I'd really suggest going there in an ICE for your first time, check everything out, and then decide if you want to bring the Tesla. We would often spend the night in Seligman, and then drive to the trail head in the morning, but leaving Phoenix at 5 am is almost as good.

For Havasupai, I've been going there for 30 years. There is no way to get there in a Tesla. Zero. The road is paved to Hualapai Hilltop and from there you either hike 11 miles in (8 miles to the village, another 3 to the campground), or helicopter in. The closest supercharger or destination charger is in Flagstaff. If we could convince Grand Canyon Caverns Motel / Hotel to install a few destination chargers, that would be perfect. That's 65 miles from the trailhead... just 65 miles... enough to charge up, stay parked for 4 days, return and charge up again, eat and get to Flagstaff. Let them know that you'd stay at their property, you'd eat at their restaurant, drink at their bar, and visit their attraction, spending money... their email is [email protected] - but I just updated this with a reply below - hold off, as it sounds like they have 50 amp outlets for use in their campgrounds or something... will let everyone know next week. If so, then Havasupai is a possibility. I'll be pulling up in a Model X and parking right next to where the US Mail is carried by horseback to one of the most genetically isolated places on earth.

Last edited:
Update - I just spoke to them and they said that YES, they have a charger there... but I think it's a 50 amp outlet... waiting for confirmation from them, I'll update everyone here. Just booked a room for next Monday night so I can report back on my findings for sure. Nervous, because if I cannot charge up overnight, I'm SCREWED. eeks!
Be sure to call day of your stay and let them know you need to use it. Ask them to block the spot with a cone or something.

Just returned from GC Village trip -- Model 3 LR - charged 90% @Kingmen and did some Route 66 driving along the way and Willaims before up the hill to GC Village -- pulled into Village -- 2 tesla Level 2 in East lot Yavapai lot with another 2 chargepoints there. Burned at about 280wh per mile during that Kingmen-GC segment going just under 80MPH freeway driving

Car Service center has a Level 2 chargepoint and Maswik Lodge has another 2.

We stayed in Kachina Lodge and there's a NEMA 40AMP plug along the wall there in the '15min' spot that management said okay to charge overnight . Used our portable charger and got to 316Miles by sunrise. :)

Just returned from GC Village trip -- Model 3 LR - charged 90% @Kingmen and did some Route 66 driving along the way and Willaims before up the hill to GC Village -- pulled into Village -- 2 tesla Level 2 in East lot Yavapai lot with another 2 chargepoints there. Burned at about 280wh per mile during that Kingmen-GC segment going just under 80MPH freeway driving

Car Service center has a Level 2 chargepoint and Maswik Lodge has another 2.

We stayed in Kachina Lodge and there's a NEMA 40AMP plug along the wall there in the '15min' spot that management said okay to charge overnight . Used our portable charger and got to 316Miles by sunrise. :)
Did you see other EVs there, or were all plugs unused?

Update - I just spoke to them and they said that YES, they have a charger there... but I think it's a 50 amp outlet... waiting for confirmation from them, I'll update everyone here. Just booked a room for next Monday night so I can report back on my findings for sure. Nervous, because if I cannot charge up overnight, I'm SCREWED. eeks!

Did you make it? I'm going this weekend and debating on bring my LR RWD Model 3. The cold temps are making the drive back from the trailhead a bit scary...

FYI, we made it with no problem. In fact there were 2 other model 3's in the parking lot of the Havasupai Trailhead... so we weren't alone.

In my Model 3 LR RWD... We left Kingman supercharger with 308 rated miles. Got to the trail head with 180. The drive there is mostly uphill so we went 45 and bested the rated range. Did the hike and came back after 3 days with 153 rated miles on the screen.... so 27 miles lost, 9 miles a day. I had the power off, security/sentry off, cabin overheat off (it was freezing at night anyway). The vampire drain is no joke in the cold. But that was plenty to make it the 120 miles back to Kingman without worrying about speed or heating limits.

Epic journey... highly recommended if you've never been.