Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New purchase option - Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Transition to what? Your post says it all - the yoke is "not a hinderance". The yoke does not improve driving in any way - the best that anyone can say about the yoke is that it's not that bad. It is clearly NOT better than a wheel. A wheel is better than the yoke in certain cases (see below) and the yoke is better than a wheel in zero cases.

I drove with the yoke for 9 days and hated every day. I could have adapted (humans are adaptable creatures after all) but why? As I said above, the adaptation would have been for zero benefit. I have other things to spend my mental energy on.

Tesla's 180 on this proves my point - they were wrong.

Agree. They drove the Nurburgring with a yoke. But carparks and u-turns are a nightmare. Good riddance.
I have no issue in tight parking garages like at SFO or shopping malls with the yoke. Just requires a little more turning. Most of the day-to-day driving is better because of the clearer view of the driver display in my X. The horn in the middle is the biggest thing I want.

Reactions: Cattledog
Transition to what? Your post says it all - the yoke is "not a hinderance". The yoke does not improve driving in any way - the best that anyone can say about the yoke is that it's not that bad. It is clearly NOT better than a wheel. A wheel is better than the yoke in certain cases (see below) and the yoke is better than a wheel in zero cases.

I drove with the yoke for 9 days and hated every day. I could have adapted (humans are adaptable creatures after all) but why? As I said above, the adaptation would have been for zero benefit. I have other things to spend my mental energy on.

Tesla's 180 on this proves my point - they were wrong.
Ha! I presumed too much! The transition away from a wheel, with a a yoke being a incremental improvement, is inevitable. Also just better from a user experience perspective:
- wider so you can rest your arms more easily and have greater leverage,
- more comfortable to rest one's hand on the flat bottom,
- easier to quickly spin lock to lock in your palm than a wheel (cupping is more secure than using friction),
- doesn't block the binnacle or your forward view

Sure, Tesla might be wrong the way Steve Jobs was wrong about tablet computing in 1987. That never worked out!

Reactions: henderrj
Ha! I presumed too much! The transition away from a wheel, with a a yoke being a incremental improvement, is inevitable. Also just better from a user experience perspective:
- easier to quickly spin lock to lock in your palm than a wheel (cupping is more secure than using friction),

Sure, Tesla might be wrong the way Steve Jobs was wrong about tablet computing in 1987. That never worked out!
Your points 1-2 are not unique to a yoke. The width is independent of yoke vs/wheel and most wheels these days have a flat bottom.

Your point 3 is categorically wrong. With a yoke there are times when you do not have positive contact with the wheel. Here's an example. Say you are making a left turn. You are pushing up with your palm from under the right side. If you need to stop the turn quickly you can't because you cannot pull the yoke back down. Also, you cannot keep one hand cupped through 2.4 turns. Your arms do no bend that way. You have to transfer to your other hand and in that moment you do not have contact with the wheel (and your arms are crossed in front of you which is terrible if the airbag deploys). With a wheel your arms can remain aligned with your body no matter how tightly you're turning because (shocker) it's a circle and you can hold it at 9 and 3 regardless of how much the wheels are turned.

A wheel should never block your forward view - it has never done so on any car I have driven. If it's blocking your forward view then you have it or your seat adjusted wrong. Same for the binnacle.

I will concede that a yoke can work if you never turn more than 90-degrees in either direction. This is how Lexus is implementing their yoke - with a variable ratio. The way Tesla did it is classic Tesla - do something because it's "cool" and not think about how it will work in the real world. The Tesla implementation of the yoke (leaving the fixed 2.4 turns lock-lock) is an absolute fail on all levels. If you love it, great, carry on. But Tesla's pivot on this proves that they made a mistake. Elon emphatically stated that there would be no wheel option and yet here we are. It's good that they have pivoted. It is rare for Elon to admit he made a mistake. I am glad that he is maturing.

There is no transition away from a steering wheel amongst anybody but a bunch of weirdos with $100,000 cars who bought too soon to have a steering wheel. Love invoking steve jobs too, as if you can somehow obscure a dumbass design decision by just throwing out names. Guess you didn't know JULES VERNE preferred wheels see I can do it too

Love my Yoke and would not give it up for anything now. After quickly getting used to it.. Round wheels look like old dated tech to me now. I love the look and the feel of the yoke. Even looking at the picture in on the website the new interiors look horrible to me with a regular wheel.

MY owner here…. When I sat in X at Tesla store during service visit, I was surprised about how nice the view of the driver display and windshield was with yolk. So I can appreciate a bit why people like it.

Hopefully there is a new S in my future and I can spend time in cars with each option to decide on wheel or yolk .

Yoke hater here. Plan to retrofit, but ONLY if the horn moves to the center. Per a local service tech, he is not aware of the horn moving. Does anyone know? If not, I'll just keep the incredibly stupid yoke.
Yoke hater here, also. I tried to like it. I tried to get used to it. It made driving uncomfortable and less fun. I switched using a 3rd party wheel from Secret-EV before the new Tesla wheel was offered. It wasn't until that switch did I realize how much I hated that yoke. My driving style just didn't match well with the yoke. I have no problems with seeing the instrument cluster and don't feel like there's any visual obstruction at all.

I would've loved to have the horn in its rightful place and I'm still getting used to the turn signals, but for now, going back to a round wheel has made a BIG difference in my driving pleasure.

The yoke does not improve driving in any way -
A wheel is better than the yoke in certain cases (see below) and the yoke is better than a wheel in zero cases.
Not true. I've driven with a wheel and a yoke. The yoke has better hand and arm positions for the majority of driving situations. Also, the yoke provides a completely unobstructed view of the dashboard.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, as am I, but your blanket assertions are wrong.

Yoke hater here. Plan to retrofit, but ONLY if the horn moves to the center. Per a local service tech, he is not aware of the horn moving. Does anyone know? If not, I'll just keep the incredibly stupid yoke.
According to everything I have seen the horn has not moved. The rendering on the Tesla site shows the round wheel with the same buttons as the yoke and no stalks.

I got the yoke - and I started to really like it. It’s a bit rough for low speed parking lot stuff but feels awesome on the roads.

But since my car is in the shop - the round wheel model X loaner is driving me nuts. I keep skipping to the next audio track instead of activating the right blinker. :mad:

/rant

Last edited: