Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Quarter -- New Incentives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q4 is the last time you can get tax credit, so if there is enough demand based on that alone, Tesla may not give much at the end of the quarter.

Makes sense. Q1 2020 is when they have to deal with the loss of the credit. Small supercharger credits, etc. are really not much of an incentive. The cars are (and should be) the incentives.

I think we are so used to traditional dealers giving little bits of stuff here and there that we expect Tesla to do it all the time. Late 2020 and 2021 is when the competition will start to roll out and Tesla will have to stop it with the production defects, attitude, etc. and realize that they have to sell cars. Tesla shareholders will have to be a lot more forgiving too. Stocks are best as long term investments (think Amazon) - and "internally" struggling from quarter to quarter is no way to run a car company. I can't imagine the stress of working there. It can't be helpful.

I guess it says it all when some people report their front "Tesla" badge is on crooked. A little thing that says so much! I mean does anyone even take 5 minutes to look at the fit and finish of the car when shipping to a customer?

Last edited:
Reactions: iKhalid
I think a lot will depend on what the market does with Tesla stock after the 3rd quarter numbers are released, and how much (if any) pressure that puts on Tesla to try and deliver to meet stock market expectations. I do think the last quarter of tax credits will play a role, but not as much as when it was the last quarter of 7500, or 3750.

Yes, if we had a functional government, they would re-instate all EV credits. There just is the prejudice of people who think EV owners have big money to buy these things. Not true. People with normal incomes go out of their way to drive EV's because they want to.

The government should be helping Tesla - not making it harder for them to sell cars. If there was still a $7500 EV credit, then Tesla would sell more cars. It's called "give people a break who are going out on the cutting edge to buy an EV!"

Reactions: vickh
You just missed the end of 3rd quarter sales, however last quarter we got sprinkled with quite a few incentives like $5-10K price drops on AWD/Performance cars, pearl white became the standard, and stealth performance vehicles.

Problem gaming the system is that Tesla often changes configurations when they adjust pricing.

They may remove leather seating, adjust free Supercharging allowances, change motors, battery series, eliminate EAP, change wheels, interior colors or standard exterior colors.

Tesla is in a constant state of flux and improvement.

Best to just order a car when you feel the time is right for you, and let the cards fall where they may.

Example...Last quarter they ran a promotion, where if the car you ordered was not going to be ready for delivery before EOQ, they would substitute an in stock car, with perhaps better wheels or a premium color at no extra charge to get the car delivered on time. They did not give everyone the upgrades, only those who could expedite delivery.

I am new to the Forum and wanted to get some insight and suggestions.

I know I am going to order a Model 3.

I came close due to the end of the quarter incentives and a very, very helpful Sales Consultant who found precisely what
I wanted -- Black on Black, All Wheel, Long Range.

I was curious as to what to expect with the new quarter -- will free supercharging return? Any particular time that might be better to order?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Ordered a red AWD with full autopilot September 25 and it was exquisitely delivered in Burbank CA on Sept. 30. 2 years unlimited charging, plus 1000 miles ( or is it 2, I forget), tagged on when that ends as I signed on through a referral link. The vehicle is truly amazing, especially here in CA in a lot of traffic. Unreal. Scary as hell at first, and I am a Pilot, but you learn to trust it. Can not say enough good things about the entire process from test drive through delivery. Amazing. Aside from an amazing vehicle, They have redefined car buying and ownership. Looking for the V 10 update sometime soon. You go Elon!

Reactions: vickh
My OA says they have a significant backlog of orders and people have been waiting for custom orders for months now (and potentially will be waiting until December). He also says a price increase might even be in the cards considering how the demand exceeds the supply at the moment. Apparently the factory is currently building cars for the rest of the world and you have to be lucky to find a new Model 3 until December if you are shopping here in the States...

My OA says they have a significant backlog of orders and people have been waiting for custom orders for months now (and potentially will be waiting until December). He also says a price increase might even be in the cards considering how the demand exceeds the supply at the moment. Apparently the factory is currently building cars for the rest of the world and you have to be lucky to find a new Model 3 until December if you are shopping here in the States...

I guess we will see, but not the first time I heard that song from an OA/SA. It seems like there are over 200+ 3's in inventory right now, so these must be some pretty "custom" configurations.

Reactions: Daniel_6
I'm not sure I agree with this... I ordered last week and scheduled for pick-up Oct 22nd. My Tesla rep said most orders are about 3-4 weeks out. Although I am on the east coast and he said we get cars significantly quicker.

Not sure I agree with this either. A price increase would be very short sighted. Apple can get away with that, but Tesla is just starting out.

Also to be building out world sales and not taking care of the overwhelming demand from USA customers would again be short sighted. When people feel confident (in the US) that they can buy a Tesla and get it in a reasonable time frame, orders will increase. Many people I talk to still think of Tesla as a "boutique" car company that builds a few cars relative to demand.

The last thing a fledgling company wants to do is spread out all over the place and create demand and not be able to come close to supplying it. In 18 months or so, the competition is going to hit hard - and Tesla has to have the network that the competition already has. Better products help, but only to a certain extent.

That's why pandering to the shareholders is not a good strategy. If TSLA takes a dive here and there - it's not important. People will keep investing. You can't build a radical car company in a few years. What has it been - about 10 or so?

In case anyone is still on the fence, Tesla is now recommending customers order by December 8 for a delivery before the end of the year and the end of the tax credit:

y1ix59wp2g241.jpg

Reactions: ZappCatt
To the extent there are incentives will they usually be the available online or do you need to go to a showroom in order to get them?

In Q3, only the double SC referral (1k mi => 2k mi) was officially advertised online. The free 2-yr SC was only mentioned by SAs in store and customers online. The free upgrades was also only available by SAs (for a very short window, like one week or so).