Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New quieter door latches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my 90D Model X in June 2016 (March 2016 build), so it was a pretty early delivery car. The front door latches always made a loud whirling noise when they opened and closed. On opening, you would hear a mechanical whirling and then a pop. On closing, you would hear a similar whirling. I wish I had recorded it.

I was having some difficulty with my driver's side latch. Sometimes when I went to open the door, it would whirl and not open for a second or two. I recently visited my SC for them to have a look.

I got a 100D Model X loaner and was amazed by how quiet the front doors were. When I went to pick up my car, the SC had replaced both latches with the upgraded version that's much quieter. I think all new calls have this type of latch but I didn't know that it could be retrofitted into the older cars.

Anyways, much happier with the new latches. The car seem much more refined. :). It was also interesting to note the changes they've made to the seals around the front doors. Looks a lot different from my car.

If you have the old type of latches you may want to ask your service center if they can be retrofitted.

After getting my car back from FWD replacement, my driver door started to have the latch issue just like described above. I think my latch is starting to fail. My new replacement FWD is having issue now where it would close about half way and stop with the *beep beep*. Sigh, when will this ever end?

I had a X100D loaner with the new latches. The pax side latch was failing. Many times it would not latch. I had to press the door-close button on the screen like 10 times to get it latched. The only way to reliably get it latched was to slam the door shut manually.