Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Raven Model S Long Range - Range Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Model S Long Range (Raven Update) mid June. From day 1, my 90% charge is only 324-326. 90% of the advertised 370 should be about 333. Obviously this isn't a major issue. I understand the batteries will degrade over time, but I would have expected the range to be at advertised rate when new. I did charge it 100% one time to see the range and it was 362 instead of 370, which is consistent with the 90% charges I get. Anyone else with Raven's have this issue? What is your range at 90% and or 100%. If this is normal, than fine. If it's not I want to get to service in case I have an issue with the batteries that will get worse. Thanks!

The EPA rating is done with Range Mode on, which will add a few percent to the rated range. My 85D would charge to 265 without and 270 with Range Mode. 2% on your numbers would be right in the ballpark of rated range.

I'm seeing similar relative numbers to yours.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
A shot in the dark might be that you need to run it down to 1-2% from full to get a proper calibration of your pack. I'm not an expert on the Tesla BMS but I do know it will adjust over time and an occasional top up and run down can help it perform an accurate calibration.

This is normal. The range is a fleet average and there will be variation from pack to pack within an acceptable margin (as determined by Tesla). It hasn't really degraded at all yet so there is nothing to be concerned with. Over 2K miles, my 90% is consistently 324 - 326.

• Love
Reactions: BruceL
Just got a new Raven S. Same thing. 90% range calculates to about 361 miles if charged to 100%.

More than enough range for me. Biggest thing for me though is that the wh/mi in the Raven is far less than it was in my prior S. So far, only 279 wh/mi versus 328 wh/mi in my old S. So, the Raven appears will be able to achieve closer to the rated range much easier in real world driving than the older S.

Same here; my equivalent 100% on new Long Range S is about 362, not 370. This is my 3rd Telsa. First MS never charged to advertised range either, but my wife's X did, and has lost only about 7 miles rated range in first year/12K miles. My new MS is already starting 8 miles under advertised rated range. Not a huge deal, and I love the new car, but I do want Tesla to explain why a brand new car doesn't charge to advertised level.

I have had my Raven LR for just over a month now with almost 4k miles and on day one my 100% was about 362 and most recently it is more like 358. Just heard Elon on the earnings call today say that technically the new Raven has 373 range. I have been a bit curious why I'm not getting near the full range but am very happy to hear everyone else is in the same boat as me at least.

I have a September 2019 build Raven S with 3K miles. All of my battery charges have resulted in 360-362 miles range. The 362 miles was after a 20% to 95% charge. Most of my charges are 30% to 85%. My model 3 MR always charges to a calculated 262 miles. Which is 2 miles more then when I purchased it a year ago. I was also wondering why the S was not closer 370.

I have a Model S Long Range (with FSD.) I took delivery of it at the end of September. The car was set for 80% Charge Limit from factory, and I haven't changed the setting since.

With 80% it showed 325 miles range. Overnight it would lose 1 to 2 miles range, if I tried not to wake it up. I did turn off the Sentry Mode at Home, as well as turned off the Summon Standby.

Mine has been right at about 360 since day one. No clue where the 370 number came from as it appears nobody has ever seen that number. Supposedly it's the EPA number. Tesla's estimate generally matches, at least when new. For all of my prior Tesla's, there was always a notable drop in range in the first few months, then it stabilized with more steady degradation. It was annoying that the rated range barely lasted a month or two. I always said it would be nice if Tesla just advertised the range after that first couple of months so keep people from asking the same question. So, maybe they did that as far as what the car shows, but they're still advertising 370. Either way, it's normal. 360 is a lot more than the 265 I had on my last Model S.

Same here as everyone else... upgraded my 2017 Model S 90D to the Long Range Raven at end of September. No matter what I charge to and even if I recalibrate by going low on percentage to 90% or even 100% I get the equivalent of 360 miles. Looking at my TeslaFi Battery report it ranges between 359 and 361... I certainly LOVE the added range but am interested why we all get 360 instead of the 370

325 miles of range at 90% SoC here too. I leave mine plugged in every night, but not always charging. Might try and run the battery down to 100 miles of range, charge to 90% and see if that helps with overall calibration. This is my first TSLA and I absolutely love the car.

I get the same thing. It's got to be consumption rates they're using. This is an interesting site because it shows the calculation of exactly 370 miles of range. Might shed some light on that number

Tesla Model S Long Range

upload_2019-10-24_6-52-8.png

upload_2019-10-24_6-50-26.png

Dividing 100 kW by 275 Wh/mi is 363 miles of range.
Dividing 100 kW by 270 Wh/mi is 370 miles of range.
The 5 Wh/mi difference averaged over hours of driving is a very small number, especially given that the battery pack wouldn't let you use all 100 kW and the effects of wind, elevation changes, road conditions, tire pressure, etc.
If I want 10 miles more range, I drive slower for awhile.

Reactions: bhzmark
I normally charge my MSLR Raven to 333mi with more left to go. Once tried to go to 100% and made it to 365 with room left but it was taking sooooooooo long I just killed it and left the supercharger. Never plugged in at home before. Wonder if I came home with 330 and plugged into 110 overnight if I'd get to 100%
car picked up 9/13

110 will give you ~3 miles and hour. Assuming you want to top at 370 (long range) the other 40 miles would take nearly 12-13 hours on a convenience outlet. It is normal for the last few miles to max out the battery (365 to 370) to take more time even on the SC. It is like filling a bottle of water exactly to the top. When empty, you can put water in quickly. The last few drops go in very slowly to fill all the way.

Keep in mind the Battery management is trying to fill all the individual modules and cells, to trying to "squeeze" to last 5 miles in is seldom worth the time and effort. Generally, one charges enough to drive the day, trip or to next charger. That is more time efficient. Additionally, it is not good for the battery to be charged fully continuously. If you do so the system will give you a warning not to charge fully unless planning a long-distance trip. If you need to charge at home, it is advisable to have a 50 am 220 circuit installed and a 14-50 plug. That will charge about 25-30 miles an hour.