Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Rear Brake Calipers For non-Performance Model S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model S and X are now being delivered with a different rear brake setup for non performance cars. (60/75/90kW cars) Performance trim cars retain the previous design.

Highlights
  • Single Piston rear brake caliper now replacing 4 piston rear caliper for non performance models
  • Integrated parking brake in the unit (no longer needs the smaller secondary caliper)
  • Braking performance and safety remains unchanged (rear brakes only account for a small fraction of overall braking force)
  • simpler overall design

Today I took a peek at our Model S 75D which was just dropped off at the SC yesterday. It now appears all new Model S and X cars that are not performance trim will be using the new unit. I will try and film a comparison when we take delivery of the car. I am curious to see if these new rear calipers are any quieter when engaging the parking brake than the previous design. (will try to get a better picture as well)

IMG_20161206_153038435_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161206_153012197_HDR.jpg

Interesting change. If performance actually remains the same, why have the original 4 piston design on the Performance vehicles? I suspect the original design is higher performance.
The original design is inherently a higher performance unit, but it is important to remember how little force the rear brakes normally contribute to slowing the car. If this change was made in the front it would matter. I think they may only be keeping them on performance cars for looks. The older units may also cope better with heat or after heavy extended use.

Reactions: Fiddler
Nope, they will continue to be sold with the 4 piston rear brakes in red only
How do you know that?

Edit: I see others are also questioning if this is a real source inside Tesla Corporate and not some speculation or rumor from Service Center or Sales personnel. I see you don't have a lot of posts so you may not be aware that we get a lot of speculation around here! ;)

Last edited:
One of the things that really caught my attention on my very first test drive (2012) was how the low CoG allowed Tesla to use such large rear brakes and associated more rearward brake bias. The car did not dive anywhere near as much as normal ICE and out stopped my Maranello. It would be interesting to see how reducing the stopping power of such a strong contributor actually affects stopping distance.

How do you know that?

Edit: I see others are also questioning if this is a real source inside Tesla Corporate and not some speculation or rumor from Service Center or Sales personnel. I see you don't have a lot of posts so you may not be aware that we get a lot of speculation around here! ;)
I dont make speculations, I am just relaying information that I have heard from Tesla Employees that know, it is reckless and a large cause of miss-information, which as many of you know is a large issue when it comes to Tesla. The assumption that they would be getting rid of performance brakes on performance cars is one of those.