TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New Rear Brake Calipers For non-Performance Model S and X

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Hubris, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Hubris

Hubris Member

New Model S and X are now being delivered with a different rear brake setup for non performance cars. (60/75/90kW cars) Performance trim cars retain the previous design.

Highlights
    • Single Piston rear brake caliper now replacing 4 piston rear caliper for non performance models
    • Integrated parking brake in the unit (no longer needs the smaller secondary caliper)
    • Braking performance and safety remains unchanged (rear brakes only account for a small fraction of overall braking force)
    • simpler overall design

Today I took a peek at our Model S 75D which was just dropped off at the SC yesterday. It now appears all new Model S and X cars that are not performance trim will be using the new unit. I will try and film a comparison when we take delivery of the car. I am curious to see if these new rear calipers are any quieter when engaging the parking brake than the previous design. (will try to get a better picture as well)

IMG_20161206_153038435_HDR.jpg IMG_20161206_153012197_HDR.jpg

• Informative x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Seems like a big change. Thanks for the update

3. Hubris

Hubris Member

I thought it would be worth knowing! I'm looking forward to testing them against the old rear brake design to find if there are any additional differences.

• Like x 1
  4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Another interesting simplification and cost savings... Thanks for the information.

5. msnow

msnow Active Member

I wonder what's better about the previous design that they kept it on the higher priced "P" model.

• Like x 1
  6. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Interesting change. If performance actually remains the same, why have the original 4 piston design on the Performance vehicles? I suspect the original design is higher performance.

7. Hubris

Hubris Member

The original design is inherently a higher performance unit, but it is important to remember how little force the rear brakes normally contribute to slowing the car. If this change was made in the front it would matter. I think they may only be keeping them on performance cars for looks. The older units may also cope better with heat or after heavy extended use.

• Like x 1
  8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

#8 MP3Mike, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Aren't the calipers red on the performance model?

9. Hubris

Hubris Member

They are however these new rear brake caliper units are for the non performance cars only. Performance cars still get the big red ones on the front and back :)

10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Maybe only until they run out of them.

• Like x 1
  11. Hubris

Hubris Member

Nope, they will continue to be sold with the 4 piston rear brakes in red only

12. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

seems like another change to the Model S based on Model 3 design.
    In fact seems like a possible preview of how the Model S and Model 3 will be positioned. The performance S/X will be differentiated with multiple performance features.

• Like x 2
  13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

You know that for sure?

14. Hubris

Hubris Member

yes

• Informative x 1
  15. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Do you have any other inside information you can share?

16. Hubris

Hubris Member

I have no inside information, I am just speaking about the current Tesla line up. They could very well change the Performance rear brakes with these at some point but that is not their current intent from what I have heard

17. cmd_keen

cmd_keen Member

Very interesting info, taking delivery of an inventory S on Friday, so I assume it should have the older 4 piston calipers...

18. msnow

msnow Active Member

#18 msnow, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    How do you know that?

Edit: I see others are also questioning if this is a real source inside Tesla Corporate and not some speculation or rumor from Service Center or Sales personnel. I see you don't have a lot of posts so you may not be aware that we get a lot of speculation around here! ;)

19. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

One of the things that really caught my attention on my very first test drive (2012) was how the low CoG allowed Tesla to use such large rear brakes and associated more rearward brake bias. The car did not dive anywhere near as much as normal ICE and out stopped my Maranello. It would be interesting to see how reducing the stopping power of such a strong contributor actually affects stopping distance.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  20. Hubris

Hubris Member

I dont make speculations, I am just relaying information that I have heard from Tesla Employees that know, it is reckless and a large cause of miss-information, which as many of you know is a large issue when it comes to Tesla. The assumption that they would be getting rid of performance brakes on performance cars is one of those.