Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Rear Brake Calipers For non-Performance Model S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if anyone ever looked into retrofitting the pre-facelift rear brakes (4 piston caliper with separate parking brake caliper) on a newer model. It seems like Tesla made a downgrade when they decided to use the single piston caliper with the integrated parking brake.

If we also had the parking brake, could we add that on?

It’s all technically possible if you get the right parts, brackets, etc. it just depends on what you’re looking for, how much you want to spend, and the effort you want to put in.

If you just want red brakes, powder coating your existing ones is the easiest path. Keep in mind the parking brake on the performance brakes is grey, so they don’t match.

If you’re looking for performance. Depends if you want unsprung weight reduction (single pistons integrated are lighter) or if you want better brake modulation with the dual pistons, etc.

Anyone know if we can fit the peformance brakes on the single rear caliper model X?

I would think that the knuckle would have to be changed to the pre 2017 models to accommodate the 4 piston caliper and parking brake caliper. I think the electric parking brake connection is also different from what I can tell from pictures. It is a shame that Tesla got rid of the performance oriented Brembo rear calipers for the Mando floating calipers made by Mando.

• Informative
Reactions: pkodali
I would think that the knuckle would have to be changed to the pre 2017 models to accommodate the 4 piston caliper and parking brake caliper. I think the electric parking brake connection is also different from what I can tell from pictures. It is a shame that Tesla got rid of the performance oriented Brembo rear calipers for the Mando floating calipers made by Mando.
Sorry to bump a super old thread but has anyone confirmed if the knuckles are different between Brembo rear calipers and non brembo rears?

Sorry to bump a super old thread but has anyone confirmed if the knuckles are different between Brembo rear calipers and non brembo rears?
According to the EPC, the part number to the knuckles appears to be the same for pre 2017 models and up to the Raven. The parking brake connections definitely different and need to be modified to use the separate caliper for parking brakes.