Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Rear Drive Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-bumps-model-s-model-x-performance-with-hardware-software-tweaks/

A Tesla spokesperson confirmed the changes via email, although the company did not provide specifics regarding the updated hardware and software. Electrek believes that the changes include a new rear drive unit, which is the primary motor for all Tesla vehicles, because the affected vehicles carry a new part number. Dual-motor Teslas feature a smaller motor on the front axle, as well, but that one hasn't changed.

Can someone find out the new part number in hopes of getting the performance boost that everyone is talking about?

Maybe this can be retrofitted for the older Model X or S.

I believe it can be easily retrofitted, but rather Tesla will offer this to existing owners or not. It's another story.

I think it is about time Tesla should take care of existing owners by offering retrofitting option this time.

www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-bumps-model-s-model-x-performance-with-hardware-software-tweaks/

A Tesla spokesperson confirmed the changes via email, although the company did not provide specifics regarding the updated hardware and software. Electrek believes that the changes include a new rear drive unit, which is the primary motor for all Tesla vehicles, because the affected vehicles carry a new part number. Dual-motor Teslas feature a smaller motor on the front axle, as well, but that one hasn't changed.

Can someone find out the new part number in hopes of getting the performance boost that everyone is talking about?

Maybe this can be retrofitted for the older Model X or S.
IMHO, highly unlikely. It is difficult and time consuming to retrofit old car. If they charge too much, no one will retrofit. If they charge too little, not worth the effort

In fact, they rather have you buy a new car

IMHO, highly unlikely. It is difficult and time consuming to retrofit old car. If they charge too much, no one will retrofit. If they charge too little, not worth the effort

In fact, they rather have you buy a new car
Not necessary, by offering retrofitting to existing cars, they can use the old motors as a refurbished unit on future warranty or repairs. If the dollar makes sense, and Tesla is willing to do this.

They replaced my old S85 drive unit 3 times, it was a piece of cake to them.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not necessary, by offering retrofitting to existing cars, they can use the old motors as a refurbished unit on future warranty or repairs. If the dollar makes sense, and Tesla is willing to do this.

Your situation was different. It was a repair. They had no choice

I do hope you are right because I can benefit from it in the future too

I'm pretty sure that by law, they are required to use new parts for warranty repairs. I would definitely not want a refurbished anything in my 150k+ car.

If there is an issue with your existing rear drive unit, I would hope/expect them to replace it with the new models. Otherwise, I agree with what has been posted above, I can't see Tesla replacing perfectly good rear drive units, just for the upgrade.

I think they're using that same approach with the new FWD switches.