TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New Rear Drive Unit

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Pilot Steve, Jul 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Member

www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-bumps-model-s-model-x-performance-with-hardware-software-tweaks/

A Tesla spokesperson confirmed the changes via email, although the company did not provide specifics regarding the updated hardware and software. Electrek believes that the changes include a new rear drive unit, which is the primary motor for all Tesla vehicles, because the affected vehicles carry a new part number. Dual-motor Teslas feature a smaller motor on the front axle, as well, but that one hasn't changed.

Can someone find out the new part number in hopes of getting the performance boost that everyone is talking about?

Maybe this can be retrofitted for the older Model X or S.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. dark

dark Member

I believe it can be easily retrofitted, but rather Tesla will offer this to existing owners or not. It's another story.

I think it is about time Tesla should take care of existing owners by offering retrofitting option this time.

3. outie

outie Active Member

They are taking care of existing owners - fixing all the fit and finish issues with X and their FWDs.

• Like x 1
  4. dark

dark Member

Oh shoot.. you are right.

5. Doctt

Doctt Member

IMHO, highly unlikely. It is difficult and time consuming to retrofit old car. If they charge too much, no one will retrofit. If they charge too little, not worth the effort

In fact, they rather have you buy a new car

• Funny x 1
  6. dark

dark Member

Not necessary, by offering retrofitting to existing cars, they can use the old motors as a refurbished unit on future warranty or repairs. If the dollar makes sense, and Tesla is willing to do this.

They replaced my old S85 drive unit 3 times, it was a piece of cake to them.

• Funny x 1
  7. Doctt

Doctt Member

Your situation was different. It was a repair. They had no choice

I do hope you are right because I can benefit from it in the future too

8. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

I'm pretty sure that by law, they are required to use new parts for warranty repairs. I would definitely not want a refurbished anything in my 150k+ car.

9. dark

dark Member

All the drive units been using for replacements are not brand new... They are refurbished somehow from somewhere.

10. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Based on what? Maybe some states allow it, as far as I know in Ontario they must be new.

11. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

If there is an issue with your existing rear drive unit, I would hope/expect them to replace it with the new models. Otherwise, I agree with what has been posted above, I can't see Tesla replacing perfectly good rear drive units, just for the upgrade.

I think they're using that same approach with the new FWD switches.

12. dark

dark Member

Based on what you believe they will give you a brand new unit? It has always been refurbished, refurbished is good as new.

13. number12

number12 Active Member

I wonder if your du fails if they will replace it with old one or new one?