Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New rear seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm comparing my experience to the test drive in a Model S with a flat bench back seat. I could put the two kids next to each other while I sat at the window. The new seat design is much harder to work with.

Sorry, my bad, misinterpreted your comment.

It shows that people will never be happy:
  • sell one of the only large premium sedan / SUV with 3 "comfortable" seat (without armrest) on the market and you will find people unhappy
  • revamp the flat rear bench, criticized at length as not being luxury enough to much better formed and designed seats and some people complained that it creates some problem
What I mean is that you cannot please anyone. I think that offering 3 real seats is a clear big differentiator for Tesla and this is why they are selling those 2 optional sits in thr trunk as there are many people that prefer driving a sedan but have 3 kids or more (my case).

I think that the new redesigned seats look way better than the previous bench and should be more comfortable for children / adults sitting on them but I obviously keep my initial opinion for when I will have my S75 delivered early October.

But I totally understand that for baby seats, it may be less convenient...

Given that this seat HAD to be designed after the Model 3's rear seat-- which has a fold down armrest-- how the HELL did Tesla manage yet another revision without including what nearly every budget car since the 1980s has had?

I mean, seriously-- how hard is it to make a fold down freakin' armrest?? Certainly can't cost more than a couple bucks a car. Oh-- and here's an idea: drill two holes in it for a cupholder!

CR-Cars-Gallery-2017-Tesla-Model-3-back-seat-07-17
Could also serve as a ski trap at the same time.

Could also serve as a ski trap at the same time.
Ski trap is not really useful. Once it is open, it condemns anyway the central position. So if you have 1/3 - 2/3 foldable seats, you fold the 1/3 portion and you can still sit 2 persons and have your trap ski.

I am maybe in minority here but the reason why I was holding on purchasing the Model 3 and finally purchased a S is because the second I saw the 3 having an armrest like EVERY other car in production, it disqualified it for me automatically.
I am glad that Tesla is not always trying to follow every one for the sake of it as I do not see an armrest as something automatically better.

Ski trap is not really useful. Once it is open, it condemns anyway the central position. So if you have 1/3 - 2/3 foldable seats, you fold the 1/3 portion and you can still sit 2 persons and have your trap ski.(...°
You're right if you want to seat five people on long trips all the time. But if you want to do a long trip with four, an armrest seems good. If you want to do a ski vacation with four, folding down 1/3 and having the two rear passengers share the remaining 2/3 is far less comfortable than having a ski-trap/armrest in the middle. Just depends on the situation. Two 'comfortable' rear seats with, in the middle, an "armrest/ski trap/occasional rear seat" is what I think a lot of people would like. I would in any case :)

Reactions: Nda721
You're right if you want to seat five people on long trips all the time. But if you want to do a long trip with four, an armrest seems good. If you want to do a ski vacation with four, folding down 1/3 and having the two rear passengers share the remaining 2/3 is far less comfortable than having a ski-trap/armrest in the middle. Just depends on the situation. Two 'comfortable' rear seats with, in the middle, an "armrest/ski trap/occasional rear seat" is what I think a lot of people would like. I would in any case :)
Good point. It is basically the entire scope of available car in the market available right now but the Model S.

Coming from an Audi A6, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that the Model S has this configuration because I cannot think of any other nice car to drive that would allow my 3 children to sit comfortably.

The best would be an option to choose between a bench like today or a 2 rear seats configuration with armrest. Best of both world.

One thing that I noticed about my new Model S' rear seats, and I'm surprised nobody has commented on, is that they seem very low to sit in. I'm by no means tall, and it felt like my legs were coming up more than in any car I've owned before.

It's not by any means a big deal to me, as like others, I prefer driving in the front driver's seat ;), but I still found it surprising. I guess judging from the lack of comments, I'm alone in this thinking.