Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New rear space design (end of hope for cargo cover?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

flar

Apr 20, 2013
A few people have noticed that the design of the rear cargo area was different on some of the pictures of the 5 seaters posted here, but so far I haven't seen any confirmation of whether the same design changes were made to the 6/7 seaters.

When I was at the Walnut Creek Store last Monday they had just taken delivery of a new 6 seater and I noticed that it had the same cargo area design elements, but I forgot to take pictures. So, when I was at the Burlingame Store today I asked again and they had just received a brand new 7 seater and so I was able to get them to pop the trunk and take pictures. Things to note in this picture:

- more space by the elbows for the 3rd row passengers
- there is no longer a horizontal rail along the window line to support a potential cargo cover

So, those wondering if Tesla might eventually release a cargo cover/parcel shelf for the rear as they did for the S, it is starting to look doubtful. :(

20170106_164322.jpg

Interesting - I never thought about the parcel shelf. In all of my SUVs I've ever owned I always took it out day one and never used one but in my Model S I used it all the time - it helped with noise reduction which was the main reason. I never even noticed the X doesn't have a parcel shelf.

I wonder if there were components that used to be in the sides of the car that got moved somewhere else. When I was taking the original picture the sales manager lifted the floor, but I didn't look closely to see if there is less room under there now. I'm mostly done with the ordering process, but if I'm at a dealer soon I'll take a look. Alternatively, if someone else is more familiar with the trunk-well configuration could look at a new car that would be helpful. I believe that the premium audio adds a subwoofer down in that area, but perhaps they moved the charger and/or rear-seat A/C as well now?

Here is a highlighted version. Things to note:

A - vertical profile of the trim panel just under the window line is smoother, no horizontal surface to lay a parcel shelf on.
B - sidewall area near the elbows of the 3rd row passengers is scooped out more.
C - 12v charge port relocated.

Compare those features to the picture of the older Model X cargo area.

Near A, the old design had horizontal rails about an inch wide that looked like they would support a parcel shelf accessory. Near B there is a bit of padding that encroaches on the elbow room of the 3rd row, the profile of the sidewall there is esentially even with the pillar by the thighs of the 3rd row passengers. The charge port now at C is closer to the B circle, on the sidewall just behind the seat backs when they are upright, but facing towards the rear of the car.

New Model X cargo space markup.jpg

A - vertical profile of the trim panel just under the window line is smoother, no horizontal surface to lay a parcel shelf on.
B - sidewall area near the elbows of the 3rd row passengers is scooped out more.

Near A, the old design had horizontal rails about an inch wide that looked like they would support a parcel shelf accessory. Near B there is a bit of padding that encroaches on the elbow room of the 3rd row, the profile of the sidewall there is esentially even with the pillar by the thighs of the 3rd row passengers. The charge port now at C is closer to the B circle, on the sidewall just behind the seat backs when they are upright, but facing towards the rear of the car.

View attachment 209755
Thanks, I was comparing two pictures of the old design :/

Is it possible the new design leaves less space where the power outlet is?

Now I'm wondering if we got the new trunk layout. We just took delivery of a X on Friday, but it was manufactured in early November. The only thing I can remember right now (my wife has the car at the moment) is that the 12V is located in the back left like on these pictures.

View attachment 209755
I took delivery on 12/2. I have the new configuration. I was also one of first ones out of production with AP 2.0. So it might be related to that. Vin# 25xxx.

View attachment 209755
Is the above picture of the old or new design?
Now I'm wondering if we got the new trunk layout. We just took delivery of a X on Friday, but it was manufactured in early November. The only thing I can remember right now (my wife has the car at the moment) is that the 12V is located in the back left like on these pictures.

same here, we took delivery yesterday it was built somewhere after 5th December and the charge port is located as it is in the picture, is that old or new design, not sure.