Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New rear space design (end of hope for cargo cover?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at some of the original Model X signature editions - some came with a parcel shelf that attached to those holes you mentioned and also to the top of the under-side of the hatch.

Model X parcel shelf
It's an interesting trade-off. I can see how the redesign is more comfortable for the third row passengers and for cargo capacity. But the parcel shelf I have is very nice when we are in the 4 seat configuration (I have the 6 seat version).

On road trips I'll install the parcel shelf and we put luggage on the rear area floor with the 3rd row in the stowed position and put the kids backpacks, coats and other things on the parcel shelf.

But given the widening of the rear of the car and the extra elbow room of the new config I'd be ok giving up my parcel shelf for the benefits of the new design.

Also I do think the shelf improves the bass response a bit, but the new 5 band eq helps mitigate that particular issue.

By the time they got to my car (made 1/16, delivered 3/16) there was no parcel shelf. Designing out those traps for little fingers was inevitable.
I had to chuckle because I ran into just that problem at the dealer. While I was pointing out the differences to the sales manager I ran my fingers along the rail and even pushed a finger tip into that covered hole and somehow as I pulled away it grabbed and pinched my finger as if to say "I'll make you not want me after all!"

On road trips I'll install the parcel shelf and we put luggage on the rear area floor with the 3rd row in the stowed position and put the kids backpacks, coats and other things on the parcel shelf.
Hope those backpacks are empty so they won't pose any danger in case of sudden deceleration.

Seems like my 235XX MX (October build) also came with the redesigned rear space. Feeling so blessed with the timing! :)

Can confirm the new redesign of the rear seats for the 6 seater. We replaced our 7 seater Model X with a 6 seater Model X and love the treatment to the rear seats, ever so slightly more comfortable. Here are some comparisons:

New space for elbow in redesign on left side (behind driver) in 3rd row.
IMG_1703.JPG

Old space actually impacted your arms/elbows prior to redesign in 3rd row.
IMG_1700.JPG