TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New rear view camera? (TM selects Omnivision)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Discoducky, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

So, what is being used today and I wonder when they'll incorporate these into the assembly line?

OmniVision's OV10630 Selected by Tesla Motors to Enable Advanced Rear-View Camera Application - Yahoo! Finance

Sounds like this would be a great camera with HDR and great low light abilities. Big aperture or great software or both!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like it might already be the camera every Model S has, but it's not crystal clear that is the case from this statement

2. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

Yes, most likely it is a camera used from day one on every production car (might not be the case for prototypes). Suppliers tend to release press releases sometimes long after product started to be manufactured...

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Also shows that perhaps there is a big value difference between the standard and HD cam in the tech package (and maybe not just a software tweak)

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I was amazed by the quality of the HD camera. But I was shocked by the low light/night capabilities!
    I strongly suspect this is the camera already in use.

5. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

Shocked in a bad way I assume?

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

In a good way. I believe in Cinergi's videos (see other thread) he mentioned the excellent low-light capabilities of the back-up camera.

7. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

Great. I thought the "shocked" part was meant in a bad way as the post began with "I was amazed" to be followed with "But I was shocked". My bad :)

I just assumed the need for low-light capabilities was reduced by using powerful reverse lights :) But would still prefer sensors.

8. earthling

earthling Iam Notdesi

That's understandable. I mean, well it is an "electric" car.:wink:

Cheers =)

9. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

Another supplier just released information...

Now we know we can use 10 fingers for multi-touch experience on the screen! :cool:

Tesla Motors Inc : Tesla Selects Cypress's TrueTouch® Solution to Implement World's First Fully-Integrated Touchscreen Infotainment System in Model S | 4-Traders

My point, would it be useful to open special thread where we will track such information? It could give some insight about technologies used by Tesla...

PS. If first post of such hypothetical thread would be wiki, I will be adding info to it...

10. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S1364-->X769

Could you please point me to this other thread you are referencing? I can't seem to find anything else specifically about the Model S - Rear Back-Up Camera. :confused:

11. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

It was somewhere in these videos I believe: http://www.youtube.com/user/goodwinb99/videos?view=0. Sorry, don't have time to search for the comment right now.

12. DrTaras

Thanx Todd.
    The rear view camera does not have those 'runway' overlay guides that ALL my past rear back-up cameras have had both OEM and aftermarket.
    Again, seems like a rather simple fix that the supplier should have. My 2 cents! :cursing:

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

It's coming. I know someone who got an email from Tesla on the subject.

I would guess that the lines come on in rev and go off in forward.

14. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Yup I heard that too. Think the lines could turn with the wheel? Or does that need something that is missing?

15. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

The camera definitely needs lines. But what it needs even more than that is a wiper blade :)
    My camera is useless when covered in rain or mud, and the back section of the car seems to attract dirt like flies to ....

16. DrTaras

Did they give an ETA?

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Nope. The list of things coming includes things people want and things that they don't know they want.

GB did say firmware upgrades would be every ten weeks and sometimes minor ones every eight weeks. Seems as if they are coming faster than that.