Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New red CA HOV Decal last until January 1, 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw the wording here, not sure if it's recently updated since I've been reading that it'll expire 1/1/2019
Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

In March 2018, the department began issuing a new single-color red decal for qualifying vehicles pursuant to CVC §§5205.5 and 21655.9. The new red decal will be valid until January 1, 2022, and are issued to vehicles that meet California's super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard, as well as vehicles that meet the state’s enhanced advanced technology partial zero-emission (enhanced AT PZEV) vehicles or transitional zero emission vehicle (TZEV) standard. Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and compressed natural gas (CNG) fueled vehicles may also qualify. Visit ARB's website at www.arb.ca.gov for additional information on vehicle eligibility.

Note: White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Eligible vehicles issued a white decal in 2017 or 2018 are eligible to apply for a red decal in 2019 granting them access to HOV lanes until January 1, 2022.

Last edited:
Yeah they updated that. It was always a little confusing why everyone's stickers expired at that time. Good to see us red stickers don't have to reapply.

Also nice to see they are getting *everyone* on the red sticker and retiring the green as well as the white one.

Dunno I just got my red ones ..they are going in glove box like my old white ones ..my expiration shows exactly one year from when I applied so shows 5/18 - 5/19 :( validity

What sticker will you get if you are first applying in Jan 2019 is what I want to know. Supposed to get you 4 years applying in Jan for the first time.
Red. And probably get a “registration” proof paper to show its valid till 2023.

Not sure how they will distinguish it.

Unless in 2019 everyone will get purple. And those expire 2023.

Then change colors every year.

Yah I probably should have waited but I thought was getting a White for remainder of year than was going to reapply in Jan for 4 years

I thought about waiting till Jan 2019 to apply too but it’s only July. You still have half a year to enjoy it. Now that I’m in the carpool lane and FasTrak I’m glad I didn’t wait till 2019. It’s fine. Worry about it in 2023 lol.

I thought about waiting till Jan 2019 to apply too but it’s only July. You still have half a year to enjoy it. Now that I’m in the carpool lane and FasTrak I’m glad I didn’t wait till 2019. It’s fine. Worry about it in 2023 lol.

I drive in carpool regardless for last 4years lol my stickers have always been in glove box ;)

Since I have only 1 of the required 4 applied, I would really like to know your placement, story and exactly what the cop said! CHP I assume?
he wanted to see the third missing decal and ask me to install it since it's was next to a tall on the bay bridge, He stopped me because " You were driving alone in HOV lane without properly installed identification marks that allow you to do so"

Yeah they updated that. It was always a little confusing why everyone's stickers expired at that time. Good to see us red stickers don't have to reapply.

Also nice to see they are getting *everyone* on the red sticker and retiring the green as well as the white one.
It was very confusing. One site said they will start issuing red stickers in 2019, while another said all stickers no matter what color would expire in 2019 Jan. In fact I was corrected when I said red stickers would stay valid.

Then I read another article last month that was a clarification of the new policies and it both said red sticker in 2019 followed by all stickers regardless of color will be invalidated. Yea thanks, clear as mud!

I'm going to hold off until January to submit mine, otherwise I guess you only get 2 years if you apply at the end of the year? In other words, yo don't want to get your sticker in December. I was just reading about a guy that got his car registered into the program at the end of 2016 in December, and now his car will no longer have a valid sticker come January.

Well, my 2015 white decal is valid, and expires on Jan 1. But I still cannot apply for the red one.
2015's will no longer be eligible unless something changes in the law between now and then. Actually it's not the model year, but when the car was first enrolled in the program, so if you didn't enroll until 2017 you will be able to get accepted for red stickers.

So this is DMVs new way to reduce traffic in the HOV lanes? Only allow 3 years of carpool access?
Yes. The carpool lanes are getting pretty crowded these day. Also it's supposed to incentivize people to buy EVs. What would be the point of extending the expiration for people who have already purchased EVs? Better to make it more valuable to people who are thinking about buying EVs.

Reactions: Pkmmte and David99