Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New red CA HOV Decal last until January 1, 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. The carpool lanes are getting pretty crowded these day. Also it's supposed to incentivize people to buy EVs. What would be the point of extending the expiration for people who have already purchased EVs? Better to make it more valuable to people who are thinking about buying EVs.
Most people have fast passes here, I see more fast pass single drivers than EV's...

Which, here is some food for thought on that one.... How do the cops tell if you have a fast pass and why don't they have to sick 4 giant huge ugly paint peeling stickers on their cars to inform officers of their fast passes?

Most people have fast passes here, I see more fast pass single drivers than EV's...

Which, here is some food for thought on that one.... How do the cops tell if you have a fast pass and why don't they have to sick 4 giant huge ugly paint peeling stickers on their cars to inform officers of their fast passes?
The Fastpasses basically turn the carpool lane into a toll road. I think they are photo enforced. They'll probably get rid of them soon and go to pure photo billing like they have on the toll road in Orange County (they just bill by license plate number).

Did you ask about those who apply for the first time in 2019? How they will distinguish them? Those stickers expire 2023

I put this off because I saw it expired in 2019 early on. Now that it's extended till 2022, I am applying for it. I think once you have the red decal, it's good till 2022. Their toll free rep is very helpful. You can call them and ask specific to your situation. 1-800-242-4450
Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

who knows what color it will be comes 2019.

I put this off because I saw it expired in 2019 early on. Now that it's extended till 2022, I am applying for it. I think once you have the red decal, it's good till 2022. Their toll free rep is very helpful. You can call them and ask specific to your situation. 1-800-242-4450
Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

who knows what color it will be comes 2019.
I really want to get this but I also really don't want to have to put it on my car.

Reactions: insaneoctane
I still don't understand this line:

"CAV decals issued on or after January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance."

So if I wait another 5 months and first apply in 2019, does that get me HOV access until January 1, 2023?

Sounds like it to me ..and probably reason why my reds applied for this year only shows one year validity ..I should have waited :( ...

I still don't understand this line:

"CAV decals issued on or after January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance."

So if I wait another 5 months and first apply in 2019, does that get me HOV access until January 1, 2023?

Yes that’s the new duration now. Rest of the current year that you applied plus three years.

If you applied in 2017 or 2018. Then you get those years plus 3 years. Hence 2019 2020 and 2021. Expiring Jan 1 2022.

Sounds like it to me ..and probably reason why my reds applied for this year only shows one year validity ..I should have waited :( ...
OMG! They will still be valid till Jan 1 2022

When you got your stickers he DMV was still working out the details on what will happen after Jan 1 2019. But they always said you can reapply to get an extension to 2022.

Now they came out to tell everyone that Red will be valid till 2022! You will either get a new expiration card or they will ask you to request one to be mailed to you.

No real reason to wait till 2019 to apply.

If you apply in 2019 you will get “rest of” 2019 plus three years.
We’re only half way through 2018. So you get “rest of 2018” plus three years.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet