TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New red CA HOV Decal last until January 1, 2022?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Slimwallet, Jul 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Most people have fast passes here, I see more fast pass single drivers than EV's...

Which, here is some food for thought on that one.... How do the cops tell if you have a fast pass and why don't they have to sick 4 giant huge ugly paint peeling stickers on their cars to inform officers of their fast passes?

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

The Fastpasses basically turn the carpool lane into a toll road. I think they are photo enforced. They'll probably get rid of them soon and go to pure photo billing like they have on the toll road in Orange County (they just bill by license plate number).

3. WallyP

WallyP Member

I mounted my red HOV stickers using XPEL tape, so when they expire in a few years its easy to remove and replace.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Where do you park? I want to come steal it

• Funny x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

^^^^ another good reason to keep in glove box :eek::oops:

• Funny x 1
  6. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Is it possible to reapply the XPEL tape if you take it off and want to put it back on?

7. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

I called to confirm. Yes it's extended to 2022

8. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Did you ask about those who apply for the first time in 2019? How they will distinguish them? Those stickers expire 2023

9. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

I put this off because I saw it expired in 2019 early on. Now that it's extended till 2022, I am applying for it. I think once you have the red decal, it's good till 2022. Their toll free rep is very helpful. You can call them and ask specific to your situation. 1-800-242-4450
    Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

who knows what color it will be comes 2019.

10. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I really want to get this but I also really don't want to have to put it on my car.

• Like x 1
  11. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

My card says 2019 and I just got sticker so unless they change something ??? I would wait ..most cops in CA know Tesla’s can drive in HOV and don’t even bother as long as driving speed limit

12. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I think they will mail you a new card when it gets closer to 2019. Or you can request for a new card to be mailed.

• Informative x 1
  13. robski

robski Member

I still don't understand this line:

"CAV decals issued on or after January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance."

So if I wait another 5 months and first apply in 2019, does that get me HOV access until January 1, 2023?

• Like x 1
  14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Sounds like it to me ..and probably reason why my reds applied for this year only shows one year validity ..I should have waited :( ...

15. robski

robski Member

Does it matter to you though? They'll just be sitting in your glove box :)

16. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Yes that’s the new duration now. Rest of the current year that you applied plus three years.

If you applied in 2017 or 2018. Then you get those years plus 3 years. Hence 2019 2020 and 2021. Expiring Jan 1 2022.

17. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

OMG! They will still be valid till Jan 1 2022

When you got your stickers he DMV was still working out the details on what will happen after Jan 1 2019. But they always said you can reapply to get an extension to 2022.

Now they came out to tell everyone that Red will be valid till 2022! You will either get a new expiration card or they will ask you to request one to be mailed to you.

No real reason to wait till 2019 to apply.

If you apply in 2019 you will get “rest of” 2019 plus three years.
    We’re only half way through 2018. So you get “rest of 2018” plus three years.

• Like x 1
  18. Quickstart88

Quickstart88 Member

Dude you want this but you don't want it on your car. They should come out with a magnetic sticker.
    I don't want to put up my front plate.

19. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Don’t encourage law breaking.

That’s prob why there’s so many SOV (single occupancy vehicle) violators out there. Because they see you being single and no sticker and driving in the carpool lane so they do it too

• Like x 4
  20. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Yeah I don't want to put on my front plates either. I'm still using my temporary license even though I've received my license plates.