Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Referral Program (March 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure you use the lastest code which will give you 5000 miles of free supercharging instead of the 1000 which ends on 5/28/19

5000 miles Free Supercharger Miles or kevin73933 if doing a phone or in-store order

Thanks! I just used this...do you get any notification on your end? Want to make sure I did this correctly (I actually had a previous order that they are cancelling for me so I can get this credit.)

Thanks again!

Reactions: MrBoylan
OK, am I the first person to ask this? Because I feel like I shouldn't be. But, um, what the hell does "1,000 miles of free supercharging" even mean as far as actual kWH of charge?

If you take it at face value, then the actual value of this is different depending on which car you buy. For a Model 3 LR RWD with an EPA rating of 29kWH/100 miles, you'd get 290 free kWH to travel 1000 miles, Model S 100D (33kWH/100 mi) you get 330 kWH of free charging and a Model X 100D (39 kWh/100 mi) 390 kWh of credit. But I don't think Tesla would make things this complicated.

For a while, buyers of the S and X got a 400 kWh credit per year, which Tesla also referred to as "1,000 miles of free supercharging." So maybe this is the same? 400 kWh of supercharging credit, regardless of which car you buy?

And now with the 5X bonus, that would be 2,000 kWh of free supercharging? Does that seem right?

Can anyone find any details as to what this credit amounts to in the real world? Do any recent buyers have the credits available in their "My Tesla" accounts? And if so, what does that look like?

OK, am I the first person to ask this? Because I feel like I shouldn't be. But, um, what the hell does "1,000 miles of free supercharging" even mean as far as actual kWH of charge?

If you take it at face value, then the actual value of this is different depending on which car you buy. For a Model 3 LR RWD with an EPA rating of 29kWH/100 miles, you'd get 290 free kWH to travel 1000 miles, Model S 100D (33kWH/100 mi) you get 330 kWH of free charging and a Model X 100D (39 kWh/100 mi) 390 kWh of credit. But I don't think Tesla would make things this complicated.

For a while, buyers of the S and X got a 400 kWh credit per year, which Tesla also referred to as "1,000 miles of free supercharging." So maybe this is the same? 400 kWh of supercharging credit, regardless of which car you buy?

And now with the 5X bonus, that would be 2,000 kWh of free supercharging? Does that seem right?

Can anyone find any details as to what this credit amounts to in the real world? Do any recent buyers have the credits available in their "My Tesla" accounts? And if so, what does that look like?
When you supercharge, you can toggle the settings to show how many mile your car has “gained” in a charge session. I’m sure that Tesla uses this number to add up all the miles until you reach 5000 then start charging your CC after that.

When you supercharge, you can toggle the settings to show how many mile your car has “gained” in a charge session. I’m sure that Tesla uses this number to add up all the miles until you reach 5000 then start charging your CC after that.

That would be one way to do it, and probably the most accurate. But is that how they are *actually* doing it? Because when I look at my account history, for supercharging usage, it says nothing about miles gained per session:

Here's one sample charging session from last year:

Energy 55 kWh @ $0.24/kWh $13.20
Tax included $0.86

I sent an e-mail to the referral folks at Tesla about it too, but they've been kind of hit or miss with responses.

But if any recent owners got their cars via a referral link and got the 1,000 mile referral credit, there should be some indication of this in their account online. And I'd love to see what this looks like.

That would be one way to do it, and probably the most accurate. But is that how they are *actually* doing it? Because when I look at my account history, for supercharging usage, it says nothing about miles gained per session:

Here's one sample charging session from last year:

Energy 55 kWh @ $0.24/kWh $13.20
Tax included $0.86

I sent an e-mail to the referral folks at Tesla about it too, but they've been kind of hit or miss with responses.

But if any recent owners got their cars via a referral link and got the 1,000 mile referral credit, there should be some indication of this in their account online. And I'd love to see what this looks like.
That is true. Perhaps it’s still in kwh (averaged out) but 5000 miles sounds a lot more appealing ;)

5,000 miles does sound appealing, but if they're doing a flat kWH credit for all vehicles then it could actually end up being *more* than 5,000 miles depending on which car you get. And that would be even more appealing. :)
Yup, but it’s still easier to explain 5000 miles than 1500kwh. But I’d love to know how they figure their out as well.

Damn... your bonus miles showed up in less than 24 hours? I thought they didn't show up until after the person took delivery of the car at least. Do you just see the miles in your app in the loot box? Or did you get some kind of email confirmation saying "John Smith just used your referral code!"

Yeah when the person use the 5000 miles free supercharging referral code: 5000 Miles Free Supercharger Miles or KEVIN73933. There is notification pop up in my loot box and referral account about it, once it is delivered the miles will get added

Yeah when the person use the 5000 miles free supercharging referral code: 5000 Miles Free Supercharger Miles or KEVIN73933. There is notification pop up in my loot box and referral account about it, once it is delivered the miles will get added

Interesting... I know for a fact 2 people used my code during this 5000 mile bonus and I never got notified of anything. They haven't taken delivery yet, so I'm gonna wait and see before I reach out to Tesla support (which will probably be quite a long process itself)

Thanks! I just used this...do you get any notification on your end? Want to make sure I did this correctly (I actually had a previous order that they are cancelling for me so I can get this credit.)

Thanks again!
In a different thread, I described my mistake in not using the code properly in making my order.
I considered cancelling my order so that I could re-initiate it with the code, but Tesla raised the price of FSD by $1,000 and to cancel and restart would mean I would have to pay $1,000 more...not an option.

I wrote to their referral program email [email protected] but they have not replied yet (other than an automatic reply).
I am hoping they will realize that not everyone understands precisely how to apply the code, and that they take pity on us.

Anyway, I hope that you got it work right this time!
--H

Please consider using my code: Free Supercharger Miles
Thank you.

hblink93, I did the same as you, I reserved april 2016 and was worried I would lose the $1000 deposit if I used a referral link.
I emailed tesla referral also, and got the same auto reply.
I don't know if I will get the km's, or not, the site doesn't explain it too well.

here is my referral code if anyone needs it for 5000 miles(7500)kms,
I would appreciate it.
Free 5000 miles/7500kms

5,000 free Supercharger miles on a new Tesla using a referral code (kui53722) or the link here before 5/28. 1000 Miles free supercharger afterwards.

For new car owner in California, assembly bill 516 requires all vehicles sold on or after January 1, 2019 to have temporary full size license plates. If you purchased your car last year and are still driving around without license plates, please be aware of the risk of a traffic citation.