TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New removable front plate holder (Snapplate). Anybody try it yet?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Lunares, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Lunares

Lunares Member

Saw this recently, wonder how it stacks up vs the bandit/the law. I myself have the super cheap "drill eye bolts through the provided plastic " but would consider getting something like this just because it installs so damn easily.

But will the plastic hold up vs the metal of the other designs?

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Here’s the direct link for anyone interested:
    SnapPlate by LivingTesla

I actually like it a lot. It’s very nice that it’s an all in one integrated solution. If I didn’t already have the magnetic OttoSteer front plate mount I would seriously consider getting this one.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. JPP

JPP Active Member

4. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

The benefit of the snapplate is that it is designed to be easily removable.

I really like the form factor but will wait for a decrease in price or a knock off that's cheaper.

• Like x 1
  5. puckpurnell

puckpurnell Supporting Member

Very cool. I have The Bandit but would definitively get this if I didn’t well done!

• Like x 1
  6. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

I like the design and functionality of Snapplate but I agree the price is overpriced and will wait for a sale to pick one up. I haven't got a ticket for my front plate yet (knock on wood) but if I do need one I most likely will be getting a Snapplate.

7. 640k

640k Member

i guess the question is - is the gimmick of the snapplate worth the price you'd pay for a ticket if you got one?

8. Jeffers0n

Jeffers0n Member

Just curious why everyone saying this is overpriced? It seems similar to the other competing front license plate frames and better designed. I just ordered one.

• Like x 5
  9. OutofThyme

OutofThyme Member

Probably because it is 3D printed, with no idea of infill% or top layers. It's a good design though.

10. molder101

molder101 Member

I agree the design is decent, but 120 is just silly. Once china buys one and copies it, it will be 10. Perhaps he's just banking on being first to market with this design.

That said, props to him for coming up with another mousetrap - hope he makes a couple bucks on it.

• Like x 2
  11. 640k

640k Member

in for chinese knock off. send me the amazon/alibaba/ebay link once posted. k thx.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  12. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#12 BluestarE3, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Yeah, the price is in keeping with others such as the OttoSteer, The Bandit or The Law. I guess one can make the argument that all these front license plate brackets are overpriced compared to the included stick-on plastic bracket.

What's attractive about the SnapPlate is that you don't need to install any type of "receiver" on the bumper and when you detach the license plate, you don't leave anything behind on the car. If I eventually decide to install a front license plate, I'll keep this unit in mind.

• Love x 1
  13. puckpurnell

puckpurnell Supporting Member

If you can afford the car, you can afford the license plate mount. Come on...

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  14. JumbleEV

JumbleEV Member

Really...a "knockoff"?

15. boriszima

boriszima Member

Do people buy these so not to use screws or double tape on the front bumper? Assuming Tesla gave front mounting frame?

16. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Yes.
    Yes.

17. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

If it's half the price or cheaper, heck yeah I'll go with a knockoff.

• Like x 3
  18. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

That's one way to think about. Another way to think about it is I was able to afford the car because I bought a lot of knockoff products and saved a lot of money. :D

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  19. sroh

sroh Member

The Ottosteer one is even quicker to install and remove (once you have installed the magnetic piece behind the grill). Literally less than one second to install and/or remove. It's also a bit less expensive and there is more to it.

This looks like a good idea, but there isn't much to it; I agree it's overpriced and only a matter of time before cheaper knock-offs become available.

20. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

If you don’t install the security screw. I don’t care how strong the magnets are on the OttoSteer, I totally see it flying off of my car one day, so that’s why mine has the security screw installed.

• Like x 1