Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New removable front plate holder (Snapplate). Anybody try it yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Saw this recently, wonder how it stacks up vs the bandit/the law. I myself have the super cheap "drill eye bolts through the provided plastic " but would consider getting something like this just because it installs so damn easily.

But will the plastic hold up vs the metal of the other designs?

Just ordered one and will report back. I can attest to the strength of the PETG plastic they use, it is stout and the 3d printed extruder has to run at about 230 degrees F to melt it, so it can handle some serious heat. It also doesn’t get brittle in the cold, and it has a little flex in general so it bends rather than shattering catastrophically. I also have the same Prusa MK3s printer they use and can attest to its quality. It is excellent and extremely consistent. In messaging back and forth with LivingTesla, sounds like they’ve got their printers carefully calibrated too, so I expect an impressive print.

They’ve been instant in their comms responses and are really nice and provide great customer support. This is the time of innovative spirit I’m eager to support.

Reactions: Kbra
Yeah, it's too overpriced for a 3D print.

upload_2019-8-30_20-10-45.png

It’s 3D printed. Just wait for it to be on thingiverse and everyone can avoid paying such a premium on 3D printed stuff...

Yea, but I also want to reward people who create products that benefit me. It's a $50k to $60k car. I dont really care about a $50 vs $100 product, I care that someone put engineering effort in. I would prefer to reward the creator over somebody who rips their product off

I have to say it’s a clever design and shouldn’t warp the grill slats like some other designs have.

I stuck (rimshot) with the stock bracket because it was free and it just sticks to the PPF, so not a big deal to remove if I decide that I’m missing my police interactions.

Just received my SnapPlate today and I must say it's an impressive piece of engineering. It clamps onto all four horizontal slats and the center vertical slat, so it's very secure. The oval-shaped release switch is obscure enough to thwart a casual thief from unlatching the frame, but once an owner gets the hang of it, it can be released very quickly. Also, there's a Torx security bolt that can be used prevent the switch from being actuated.

I know some are dismissive of the fact that this unit is all plastic, but if you bump into something and the license plate bends backwards and comes into contact with your bumper, it's plastic, rather than metal, that makes contact.

The beauty of this compared to other quick release license plate mounts is that nothing needs to be preinstalled on the bumper to receive the plate and, when you remove the plate, nothing is left behind on the car.

The hardest part of the entire installation process is screwing the license plate onto the frame using the provided Torx bolts. They are a very snug fit and require quite a bit of torque to screw in all the way. It may be helpful to wrap something thick around the handle of the provided Torx screwdriver to make it easier to turn. On the plus side, this snugness makes it difficult for someone to unscrew and steal your clever personalized license plate.

Also, the frame is very well packed to reduce the risk of shipping damage.

For anyone looking for a quick-release front plate mount, the SnapPlate is a very attractive option. It's priced similarly to other units of this genre and has some very unique features that make it a standout.

Last edited: