TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New removable front plate holder (Snapplate). Anybody try it yet?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Lunares, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

You’re in San Diego, just get a License Wrap.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

Fred

2. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

DMV & Chp approved

10402D91-D61C-4F79-A531-9446F3257713.jpeg

• Like x 1
  3. superfunk

superfunk Member

I received mine. Definitely well made and packaged. I own the same 3d printer they use and can attest to its general quality, but Living Tesla has got the print quality dialed in to a God Mode level. The action on the switch is satisfying, and although I don’t have a VIN yet (8/12 order, W/W Performance in Colorado) I have no doubt this will work well and last. The big part with the switch is chunky and bomber. The plate mount part is thinner and more prone to breakage but once the plate is connected it is likely substantially stronger. In any case I wish they’d offer up the print file for that part so I could replace it myself if it ever cracks.

Is it worth $100+? No way. It’s probably about $5 - $10 in PETG filament at most. Printer is a $750 unit. 20 mins of assembly and packaging per unit at most. A bit of printer setup and reset between each unit, though you’d likely batch print the parts that make up the assembly. Engineering is smart but not worth that kind of markup. In my opinion this should be a $35 - $45 part. At that price it would feel like a real value. At $100+ I feel a bit fleeced. Really good guys and I’m glad to support the innovation but this feels a little extreme. $60 - $70 would be the right early adopter price in my opinion.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Lunares

Lunares Member

Screw that. I like the front of my car being clean (PPF + ceramic coat as well makes the wrap not as nice)

The point is to not have anything permanent

• Like x 3
  5. Wennfred

Wennfred Member

It’s the law so no choice, I have a Bandit I no longer use.

Fred

6. Kbra

Kbra Member

It's the law, but one that is only enforced in some areas. Plus you can leave the SnapPlate on full time if you want to comply 100% of the time and still have the ability to remove for a nice photo or wash.

I'm curious what the bumper will look like after years of sun fading except for the sticker area too...

7. Shadnic

Shadnic Member

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone anticipate any meaningful change in aerodynamics with a plate that sticks out in front of the bumper a few inches vs something attached to it (or even stuck on like the wrap posted above) ?

8. Kbra

Kbra Member

Surely there's aerodynamic change from having a front plate, whether it's the factory mount or aftermarket mount. Meaningful though, unlikely.

Anyone have free access to a wind tunnel? :)

9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Hehe, if the SnapPlate is overpriced for just a few pieces of 3D printed plastic, how about $55 for a vinyl decal of a license plate? I'm not knocking the License Plate Wrap... I had considered getting it myself and felt it was worth the price. However, this just goes to show that there's more to the value of a product than just the cost of materials.

• Like x 3
  10. rraghu78

rraghu78 Member

I see one in Aliexpress already .. here is the link

• Disagree x 1
  11. rlb4

rlb4 Member

That is a different one. It's the Slipstream.

• Like x 1
  12. superfunk

superfunk Member

Agreed. Value is relative and often arbitrary. How does the value of water change when you are on a lake as opposed to the desert? In this case, to me, this product isn’t worth over a hundred dollars. To you, it might be worth double that.

13. Kbra

Kbra Member

It's in line if not cheaper than the other options.

14. MJP.P3D-

MJP.P3D- Member

Installed mine today. Easy. Secure. No-touchy on my new PFF and ceramic coating. Low profile outcome is perfect. Couldn’t be happier.

• Informative x 1
  15. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Nice. Can't wait for mine to show up.

16. ibGeek

ibGeek Member

I know that PETG can handle higher temps but I have serious concerns about how it will hold up to UV. PLA and PETG tend to degrade fairly quickly when exposed to sunlight for any length of time. The plate will likely shield the plastic quite a bit, but UV will find a way.