Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New removable front plate holder (Snapplate). Anybody try it yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Saw this recently, wonder how it stacks up vs the bandit/the law. I myself have the super cheap "drill eye bolts through the provided plastic " but would consider getting something like this just because it installs so damn easily.

But will the plastic hold up vs the metal of the other designs?
You’re in San Diego, just get a License Wrap.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

Fred

Reactions: liuping
DMV & Chp approved

10402D91-D61C-4F79-A531-9446F3257713.jpeg

Reactions: follow.johnny
I received mine. Definitely well made and packaged. I own the same 3d printer they use and can attest to its general quality, but Living Tesla has got the print quality dialed in to a God Mode level. The action on the switch is satisfying, and although I don’t have a VIN yet (8/12 order, W/W Performance in Colorado) I have no doubt this will work well and last. The big part with the switch is chunky and bomber. The plate mount part is thinner and more prone to breakage but once the plate is connected it is likely substantially stronger. In any case I wish they’d offer up the print file for that part so I could replace it myself if it ever cracks.

Is it worth $100+? No way. It’s probably about $5 - $10 in PETG filament at most. Printer is a $750 unit. 20 mins of assembly and packaging per unit at most. A bit of printer setup and reset between each unit, though you’d likely batch print the parts that make up the assembly. Engineering is smart but not worth that kind of markup. In my opinion this should be a $35 - $45 part. At that price it would feel like a real value. At $100+ I feel a bit fleeced. Really good guys and I’m glad to support the innovation but this feels a little extreme. $60 - $70 would be the right early adopter price in my opinion.

It’s the law so no choice, I have a Bandit I no longer use.

Fred
It's the law, but one that is only enforced in some areas. Plus you can leave the SnapPlate on full time if you want to comply 100% of the time and still have the ability to remove for a nice photo or wash.

I'm curious what the bumper will look like after years of sun fading except for the sticker area too...

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone anticipate any meaningful change in aerodynamics with a plate that sticks out in front of the bumper a few inches vs something attached to it (or even stuck on like the wrap posted above) ?

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone anticipate any meaningful change in aerodynamics with a plate that sticks out in front of the bumper a few inches vs something attached to it (or even stuck on like the wrap posted above) ?
Surely there's aerodynamic change from having a front plate, whether it's the factory mount or aftermarket mount. Meaningful though, unlikely.

Anyone have free access to a wind tunnel? :)

Hehe, if the SnapPlate is overpriced for just a few pieces of 3D printed plastic, how about $55 for a vinyl decal of a license plate? I'm not knocking the License Plate Wrap... I had considered getting it myself and felt it was worth the price. However, this just goes to show that there's more to the value of a product than just the cost of materials.

Hehe, if the SnapPlate is overpriced for just a few pieces of 3D printed plastic, how about $55 for a vinyl decal of a license plate? I'm not knocking the License Plate Wrap... I had considered getting it myself and felt it was worth the price. However, this just goes to show that there's more to the value of a product than just the cost of materials.
Agreed. Value is relative and often arbitrary. How does the value of water change when you are on a lake as opposed to the desert? In this case, to me, this product isn’t worth over a hundred dollars. To you, it might be worth double that.

Saw this recently, wonder how it stacks up vs the bandit/the law. I myself have the super cheap "drill eye bolts through the provided plastic " but would consider getting something like this just because it installs so damn easily.

But will the plastic hold up vs the metal of the other designs?

I know that PETG can handle higher temps but I have serious concerns about how it will hold up to UV. PLA and PETG tend to degrade fairly quickly when exposed to sunlight for any length of time. The plate will likely shield the plastic quite a bit, but UV will find a way.

PETG is UV stable. If anything, just the color will fade. But the structure itself will not degrade.
My experience (making flower pots and such) has been that it gets brittle over time. The color does fade as well. Since then I've been using UV protecting paint on them which would be an option for this device as well. Seems to solve the issue as long as you keep it in good shape.