Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New removable front plate holder (Snapplate). Anybody try it yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how it would have help up to the tire tread that hit the front of my car. It bent my plate and 1/2 detached teh stock plate holder, but it seems to have saved my front bumper.

I guess I should remove it the rest of the way and find some fresh tape (it isn't sticking back down).

I wonder how it would have help up to the tire tread that hit the front of my car. It bent my plate and 1/2 detached teh stock plate holder, but it seems to have saved my front bumper.

I guess I should remove it the rest of the way and find some fresh tape (it isn't sticking back down).
Honestly getting smashed with a large chunk of tire would probably brake the plate free. But that's also intentional. Other removable plates would transfer that load rigidly to the radiator grill and likely break those instead. Much more costly than replacing the top bracket with two screws.

Honestly getting smashed with a large chunk of tire would probably brake the plate free. But that's also intentional. Other removable plates would transfer that load rigidly to the radiator grill and likely break those instead. Much more costly than replacing the top bracket with two screws.

Craig's custom brackets just uses an auto grade 3M adhesive pad to attach the mounting base to the car's bumper cover. The plate bracket then screws onto that and can be removed in about 30 seconds.

If you were to rear end someone or hit something there could be some bumper damage but I'm pretty sure that the base would also shear off and spare your bumper the worst of it.

Craig's bracket was about $70 with shipping, no way I can justify spending $120 on a plate bracket.

Craig's custom brackets just uses an auto grade 3M adhesive pad to attach the mounting base to the car's bumper cover. The plate bracket then screws onto that and can be removed in about 30 seconds.

If you were to rear end someone or hit something there could be some bumper damage but I'm pretty sure that the base would also shear off and spare your bumper the worst of it.

Craig's bracket was about $70 with shipping, no way I can justify spending $120 on a plate bracket.
Very different solution. SnapPlate is a quick on off vs a tape on solution

You're leaving hardware behind on the car though.

That’s true, but realistically it’s a tiny black metal base and a post tucked under the bumper lip, not really noticeable.

The flip side of the snap plate is it is snapping onto the bumper in a way that it seems that the bumper could be potentially damaged if something happens at low speed to the plate. Haven’t really looked into it so I could be wrong on that one.

At the end of the day my point is that the Craig’s Custom solution is about $50 less and does pretty much the same thing.

That’s true, but realistically it’s a tiny black metal base and a post tucked under the bumper lip, not really noticeable.

The flip side of the snap plate is it is snapping onto the bumper in a way that it seems that the bumper could be potentially damaged if something happens at low speed to the plate. Haven’t really looked into it so I could be wrong on that one.

At the end of the day my point is that the Craig’s Custom solution is about $50 less and does pretty much the same thing.

Yeah SnapPlate will break before your bumper will, intentionally. You're right that is a flaw with some of the more rigid mounts.

Yeah, it's too overpriced for a 3D print.

View attachment 448602

This is exactly why I don't want to consider plastic license plate holder. Many people has argued that metal would break the front plastic grill in extreme conditions. However, it is depended on the plate holder frame structure. For a rigid frame like this one it could potentially be a risk to the front grill if the frame come into impact with something. Something like a slipstream bracket would not have this issue since the arm is designed as a shock dampener.

Another issue with plastic is they wear down very quickly around metal. That means the security screw should not be used and taken out very often, otherwise the screw threads in the plastic frame will quickly become stripped. (maybe using a nylon screw could help)

I have never held this plate holder in person but I think it is very easy to break off the plate from the frame, just like the picture posted by OutofThyme shows. It may make very little difference whether you use the security screw or not if anyone can just snap the plate off of its arm.

Not to bash on someone else's innovation, regardless whether you buy it or not, ideas like this will improve the aftermarket accessory market and even Tesla.

Also, I just want to say this ahead of knock-offs start flooding the market, please please please protect your design. Unless you want someone else to get rich using your design. You know it is inevitable

Ouch, this was a stupid mistake. I'm so used to "normal" plates that I completely forgot about the snap plate being unique. Just noticed today that my front plate was missing and it appears to have broke right below the point where the plate mounts to the arm. Then I remembered that I went through a touchless automatic car wash on Saturday night! THEN I remembered this is about the third time I've used a touchless automatic since getting my snap plate! I've totally forgotten to remove it each time... so I guess on the plus side is that it's lived past at least two touchless automatic car washes... but on the down side, I'm certainly out a $120 license plate holder and now I have a missing front license plate. I'm going to swing by the car wash just for the heck of it today after work and see if the plate is still hanging around somewhere on the ground but short of that now I need to figure out if I can request another license plate from the state of Washington... or if I need a new set... and how much that's going to cost me.

Boy do I feel stupid... I'm not sure if I'm going to buy snap plate again or not. I loved the idea of it and how easy it was to mount (literally took 30 seconds and didn't require ANY drilling of the mount, car, or plate) but at the same time if I DO forget again, I'm not sure I want something that breaks so easy when it's so expensive. The 3D printing was a cool idea and apparently held decently at highway speeds and wind pressure but absolutely didn't have the strength to withstand a touchless wash more then a couple times.(Temperature might have played a factor too since it was about 34F out at the time)

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
Ouch, this was a stupid mistake. I'm so used to "normal" plates that I completely forgot about the snap plate being unique. Just noticed today that my front plate was missing and it appears to have broke right below the point where the plate mounts to the arm. Then I remembered that I went through a touchless automatic car wash on Saturday night! THEN I remembered this is about the third time I've used a touchless automatic since getting my snap plate! I've totally forgotten to remove it each time... so I guess on the plus side is that it's lived past at least two touchless automatic car washes... but on the down side, I'm certainly out a $120 license plate holder and now I have a missing front license plate. I'm going to swing by the car wash just for the heck of it today after work and see if the plate is still hanging around somewhere on the ground but short of that now I need to figure out if I can request another license plate from the state of Washington... or if I need a new set... and how much that's going to cost me.

Boy do I feel stupid... I'm not sure if I'm going to buy snap plate again or not. I loved the idea of it and how easy it was to mount (literally took 30 seconds and didn't require ANY drilling of the mount, car, or plate) but at the same time if I DO forget again, I'm not sure I want something that breaks so easy when it's so expensive. The 3D printing was a cool idea and apparently held decently at highway speeds and wind pressure but absolutely didn't have the strength to withstand a touchless wash more then a couple times.(Temperature might have played a factor too since it was about 34F out at the time)

If they switch from PETG to ASA filament it might hold up a bit better. It would be nice if they included the 3D print files with purchase, so if one broke, we could re-print out own replacement. (But I understand why they don't do that)

If they switch from PETG to ASA filament it might hold up a bit better. It would be nice if they included the 3D print files with purchase, so if one broke, we could re-print out own replacement. (But I understand why they don't do that)

I have to say, as much as I'm annoyed that I'm out $120 + whatever hassle it will be with notarized documents to get the plate replaced (and apparently $37 to the state) I DO NOT want the grill to take damage... so I wish the holder was stronger, but I'm glad the plate holder broke rather then the grill area that it mounts to...

I have reached out to them to suggest they change the wording on their web site (currently it says a touchless automatic "sound be fine" but they still suggest taking the plate off) to stress more that it should be removed and a touchless may break the plate off and to see if they'll extend any kind of good will discount to me if I decide to replace it with another snap plate...

Update to my issue. LivingTesla guys responded to my emails on Monday really quick (and even a couple at 8pm at night!) and sent out a replacement top portion and a couple screws and a little accessory bag. I was initially told it would be $20 to cover shipping and stuff but was never charged. I would be fine paying $20 to have a replacement part, especially since this was basically my fault by not taking the plate off first. Customer service with them was fantastic and I would buy from them again!

State of Washington was able to issue me new plates in about 5 minutes after I submitted some paperwork and they verified my ID... and paid $37.

Hopefully I don't do this again.... Is there anyway to create a GPS based calendar event or note with the Tesla so it'll pop up on the screen that I can use as a reminder to remove the plate?

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
Update to my issue. LivingTesla guys responded to my emails on Monday really quick (and even a couple at 8pm at night!) and sent out a replacement top portion and a couple screws and a little accessory bag. I was initially told it would be $20 to cover shipping and stuff but was never charged. I would be fine paying $20 to have a replacement part, especially since this was basically my fault by not taking the plate off first. Customer service with them was fantastic and I would buy from them again!

State of Washington was able to issue me new plates in about 5 minutes after I submitted some paperwork and they verified my ID... and paid $37.

Hopefully I don't do this again.... Is there anyway to create a GPS based calendar event or note with the Tesla so it'll pop up on the screen that I can use as a reminder to remove the plate?
Could maybe add a GPS trigger for homelink to pop up on the screen as a reminder...

Add it to your mental car wash check list.

1. Remove front plate
2. Turn off auto wipers
3. Put car in N

now you won’t forget.