TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by NigelM, Sep 15, 2015.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The Model S has 76" (193cm) from inside the tailgate to the fixed center armrest. Suggests the X has less depth but more height; lots of things in the U.S. come in 6' lengths so hopefully your 71" guess is a little off.

2. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

3. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I don't think anyone should assume it will have a huge amount more cargo space than a Model S. It's built on the same platform, and Tesla doesn't currently have Tardis technology. It won't be like an Escalade or a Suburban -- those are like giant houses on wheels, the mere sight of which frightens anyone not from the Supersize McDonalds midwest.

I am curious to see the frunk. Some potential to impress there maybe. And I think there are still secrets to be revealed. Given what they have shown, the 2nd row seats look kind of "meh, okay", and they have always talked them up more than that, so while I'm not going to expect more, I wouldn't be surprised to see more when everything is finally revealed.

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

#84 goneskiian, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Yes we do. That is a road bike with 700c wheels. The ones in my garage measure ~67cm (because there is a hub and spokes in the way it's hard to get the tape measure straight across) or ~26.5" in diameter.

Nigel - Did you get any indication as to whether there is room below that back floor hatch still? Hopefully it's removable.

I have been hoping to be able to get a couple bikes upright facing backward with the front wheels removed in the back behind the 2nd row. To do that, with my 58cm Specialized road bikes I'll need a space that is 64" X 40" X 26"(at the very back with hatch closed). Oh yeah, and something I can mount 2 fork mounts to.

5. callmesam

callmesam Member

Is everyone certain that these seats are the ONLY seats that will EVENTUALLY be available?

It makes more sense to put a "standard" fold flat 2nd row in the lower end version, not the Signature.

6. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

Go buy something else like a pickup or an 18 wheeler or whatever if the space is not enough for you. Problem solved. Tesla is not the only auto company in the world and it does not make cars for everyone. I'm serious.

Callmesam, I agree. People are beating a dead horse that is not even there.

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

And we also don't know how far the second row seats are pushed forward since we can't see that in the bicycle image. Only the box image gives you information.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

No. I see what looks like a latch (check out the bicycle pic) so that suggests there is access to more space underneath?

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

TxqHrWu.png

Folks are only going on the information available to them when they plunked down cash.

I'd like to calmly ask that folks stop dismissing the concerns of others by simply telling them to go buy something else. If it's not a concern to you, that's fine, but don't immediately think it's not a concern to others who actually have skin (money) in the game.

If you tire of the discussion, simply stop reading the thread(s). Problem solved.

10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

True. Hopefully not all the way. Somehow I think they are though.

Looks like it should be close for me with my 2 bikes upright plan. Bonus would be for those 2nd row to actually fit people. Won't be holding my breath though.

11. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

+1 Thank you for writing this; I promise you're not alone in this thought!

12. jbabb

jbabb Member

I bet you can fit the front wheels in the fronk if that hatch cover doesn't remove.

13. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

+ 1

14. 1208

1208 Active Member

Just want to point out I am not buying the X but I support Tesla and EVs and want them to succeed.

The failings of no roof storage and no fold down 2nd row seats on a Sports UTILITY Vehicle make me lose faith in Tesla's ability to reason, its astonishingly thick. It will also have a negative impact on the publics perception of Tesla and EVs, in the same way the silly cartoon designs of other EV's have had a negative impact on the adoption of EV's.

I still hope the X succeeds, I like the design and the windscreen.

15. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

So if I understand the two of you correctly, this forum is only for people who are of the same opinion as you and others need to apply?
    I suggest unsubscribing from threads that annoy you - many of us have what we consider serious concerns and we'd like to discuss them somewhere.

16. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Exactly! Especially with how much room it sounds like there will be up there.

Although, I was mostly thinking of being able to drop the fork mounts a bit into that space at the back if the space wasn't tall enough. If it is I can put my bag of gear and/or helmets, shoes, etc under there.

With these recent musings on the size back there my hopes that the X will work for my lifestyle are certainly buoyed!

On that note, time for a ride! ;-)

Cheers!

Edit: Just remembered that the 3rd row should be an option, so there should be even more space back there without those 3rd row seats. Nice!

17. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

The confusion is much of this is already (wing for sure, seats 9X%) set in stone so your post give off a different tone/feel than "discussion".

18. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Why would you want to store something on the roof of a CUV EV? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the standard accessories hitch on the back?

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

If you're going to tow or do ANYTHING you can expect a range hit, but if you can accept that, then why WOULDN'T you?

2009_audi_q5_134_1024x768.jpg

Especially when the Model S has roof racks.

20. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

It's not problem solved if half the Model X reservation holders cancel, the car gets bad reviews and the stock tanks. If it's fine for you, great, but the poll in the other thread indicated that a majority of people do not agree with you.