Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...has anyone received any information that these seats are signature only and the regular seats may still fold down?
Nothing in spec sheet indicates any "Signature Seat". The Signature items are clearly indicated and X Tracker has posted the Signature only items as well.

Maybe the company that makes the seats for Tesla Motors should consider a 3rd party upgrade! http://futurisgroup.com/about/our-customers

I don't know how to create a poll.

Would someone please create a poll on owners' decisions based on what we now know about Model X cargo capacity: Second row cannot be folded flat but it can slide forward toward the first row.

If Model X cargo capacity is pretty much comparable to Model S although its depth may be a little bit shorter (may be a little bit longer more on width and height,) what would you do with your reservation:

1) I'll keep my reservation because the cargo space is comparable to Model S.
2) I'll cancel my reservation because I expected a little bit more of cargo space in depth.
3) I am undecided.

Way more bag space with 3 rows up. (not even counting the frunk. Other SUV/CUV's lose almost all cargo space with third row.

Also, wider access via Falcon doors to add cargo. (Bjorn's gonna have a delivery overdose!)

Nigel, where did you get the 76" to fixed console measurement?

X has a real middle seat in the second row instead of the "Kid" seat.

There was a directive almost a decade ago pushing for shoulder belts even in the middle seat. I suspect if Tesla made the entire second row lap belt only, they would not get a 5 star crash rating.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/statusreport/article/40/2/6

Are there any examples of foldable 2nd row seats that has a shoulder belt for all three seats that are not mounted on the side pillars (but rather on the seat itself)? I know there are plenty of examples of center shoulder belts mounted to seat, but not for the sides.

Yeah. I'm aware that all seats have to have shoulder belts...and I've been in vans that have shoulder belts for all seats and the belts were not attached to the outside frame.

Here are a few examples I found. Some might be concept. Others are obviously from vans, etc. or don't fold down independently. Obviously it is possible and some solutions look better than others. I'm just trying to point out that just because the seats fold does NOT mean they can't have a seat belt attached.

volvo_childseat11.jpg

lowroof04.jpg

excel_standard.jpg

674971f60a0d02b7007cdc58331572fd.jpg

Of course there's this example that shows the seat belts in the seats (but the seats don't fold for some reason):
JHBaAo4.png

I can't figure out how to remove the attached image. The seat probably can't fold flat but it's another example of the seat belt only being attached to the seat.

Attachments

• GO_ES_Web_Spotlight_copy.png
    GO_ES_Web_Spotlight_copy.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,088
Last edited:
As a Signature X holder I've been antsy from the start regarding the X, cargo space, comfort, seating choices, even though Tesla has made a lot of choices for me it is hard to decide sight unseen. Having said that I can't wait to purchase it and experience this phenomenal car. I agree that Tesla hasn't given traditional/ideal solutions to resolving the cargo space issue but there seem to be options, especially when it comes to bicycles. It seems to me that and this is a question more than a statement as I don't have a bike rack or bring bikes in the car generally, but isn't a bike rack attached to the back of the car more comfortable than having to place the bike inside the car and take up all the space? There are times during this ordering/waiting process that Tesla seems to ask for a lot of compromises from its customers, poor communication during process, changing items mid stream(7 seats became optional instead of standard), the appearance of less utility than a car in its class should have, but at the end of the day it's a truly unique car that is changing the way the world looks at cars and we get to be in on the ground floor as Tesla owners spreading the word. It's a special position to be in. I imagine how frustrating it must be some of the issues Tesla is making us put up with but are they really deal-breakers or are there some workarounds even if they might not be the most practical of solutions? Good luck with your orders hope you get your X's (or S's) soon!

I've taken some pictures of my road bike in the back of my 1994 Toyota Landcruiser for everyone to get a comparison. You can see how the 2nd row seats fold up against the back of the front row seats. From the folded 2nd row seat to the tail gate I measure 65". I can fit a ton of stuff in the back of this vehicle with this configuration even with the 3rd row seats folded up against the side windows as pictured. The one thing I can't tell is if the 2nd row seat in the Model X is pulled forward or not in the picture. This Landcruiser is a big vehicle, built like a tank and gets an amazing 8-10 mpg in town. For the poster that asked how to mount fork mounts for 2 bikes to stand up in the back, mount the fork mounts to a 2x4. The 2x4 does not need to be attached to anything, it will supply lateral stability due to it's length.

Never posted pics, hope this works. Sorry for the filthy vehicle, it only see's dog transport duty these days:

ModelXbike.jpg
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0174.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg

Thanks for the pics sub. Anyone else notice the indents where the saddle is in the X pic. The width between the 2 either side is less than the height of the bike as the bikes wheel is positioned nearer the door in order to fit. They must be well above the wheel arches so it can't be for that. It looks a good foot and a half of structure either side.

ModelXbike.jpg

It seems there are differing requirements and, certainly opinions. I guess we will have to wait until the 29th or longer to know (assuming the Founders aren't going to measure their vehicles). If there are Signatures delivered on the 29th, then there is some hope of resolving in 2 weeks.

I measured my Audi Q7. With the third row stored flat and the second row passengers comfortable leg room, the storage space is 45 inches x 45 inches. Since I have the front and rear air handlers, the space side-to-side is slightly less than a single air conditioning Q7. That holds four sets of golf clubs (drivers diagonal), with four passengers. That is my requirement. I sometime use the Q7 to transport larger items requiring the folding of the second row seats. That give the Q7 45"x80" cargo floor.

If the Models X can accommodate four sets of clubs and bags and golfers (frunk and rear), then I am good. If the space with the 2nd row moved, twisted, ducked, raised, spooned or otherwise moved, revealing close to 80", I am good as well. My expectation with any vehicle is equal to or better than my existing. I will give Tesla slack to have a Environmentally responsible vehicle. The few times I need to move 4x8 stuff, I'll rent a Home Depot truck for $19 bucks.

I guess if Tesla is trying to impress us with the bike stowed in the back of a Model X, then they have failed. Here his my road bike in the back of my Model S:

Bike in Back of Model S.JPG

There is about 2" clearance on the back and about 6” clearance in the front of the bike. The seats have been left in my normal driving position.

Yeah. I'm aware that all seats have to have shoulder belts...and I've been in vans that have shoulder belts for all seats and the belts were not attached to the outside frame.

Here are a few examples I found. Some might be concept. Others are obviously from vans, etc. or don't fold down independently. Obviously it is possible and some solutions look better than others. I'm just trying to point out that just because the seats fold does NOT mean they can't have a seat belt attached.

Of course there's this example that shows the seat belts in the seats (but the seats don't fold for some reason):

I can't figure out how to remove the attached image. The seat probably can't fold flat but it's another example of the seat belt only being attached to the seat.
Well, the main issue obviously is that the belts are mounted on the seat AND the seats must be able to fold. If the seats can't fold, then it is the same problem as the Model X and may suggest that is a requirement for such belts (at least for the sides).

Signature Series Trim and Second Row Series

Nothing in spec sheet indicates any "Signature Seat". The Signature items are clearly indicated and X Tracker has posted the Signature only items as well.

Maybe the company that makes the seats for Tesla Motors should consider a 3rd party upgrade! http://futurisgroup.com/about/our-customers

Hate to wade into this -- although I do enjoy the rampant speculation -- but I think this perception needs re-correcting (I'm sure it's been corrected before, but it keeps being repeated).

It is abundantly clear to me that the seats we are seeing in the Signature Series are an upgrade. Take a look at the special "series of features to optimize your Model X experience." This is from the Configure your Model X thread...

In other words, these "Independently operable, 3-adult second row seats" are an upgrade. We are getting a different second row in the non-Signature model (with an option to upgrade to the Signature second row seats).

As an aside, we're obviously also going to have to pay for the 3rd row seats (although, TM made that clear a few years ago).

4069549267.jpg

Attachments

• TlePl8Z.png
    TlePl8Z.png
    393.2 KB · Views: 1,018
  • BkXb9D0.png
    BkXb9D0.png
    463.7 KB · Views: 1,016
Hate to wade into this -- although I do enjoy the rampant speculation -- but I think this perception needs re-correcting (I'm sure it's been corrected before, but it keeps being repeated).

It is abundantly clear to me that the seats we are seeing in the Signature Series are an upgrade. Take a look at the special "series of features to optimize your Model X experience." This is from the Configure your Model X thread...

In other words, these "Independently operable, 3-adult second row seats" are an upgrade. We are getting a different second row in the non-Signature model (with an option to upgrade to the Signature second row seats).

Mark_Z's comment was related to the 2nd row ability to fold flat. There's been more than a few indications that the seats do not fold flat even in general production cars, on that we wait and see.

Well, the main issue obviously is that the belts are mounted on the seat AND the seats must be able to fold. If the seats can't fold, then it is the same problem as the Model X and may suggest that is a requirement for such belts (at least for the sides).

Previous generation Toyota Sienna has one of the 2nd row seats with built-in seat belt, and yes, it can fold down and the whole seat flipped forward. And it can slide forward/backward, it has variable position for seat back angle, isofix anchor for child seat and has a lever to flip seat forward for 3rd row access. You can also remove the whole seat.
used-2006-toyota-sienna-xle-12124-13864922-8-640.jpg

I simply can't see how having a seat belt would prevent the ability to fold.

Last edited:
Mark_Z's comment was related to the 2nd row ability to fold flat. There's been more than a few indications that the seats do not fold flat even in general production cars, on that we wait and see.

I guess I mis-read Mark_Z's comment.

Mark_Z was responding to a question from simplejack asking "has any received any information that these seats are signature only and the regular seats may still fold down?"

My own answer to simplejack's first question is "yes." We definitively know that these seats are Signature only.

What we don't know is whether the GP seats will fold down. Lots of speculation, rumor and hearsay on that front, but nothing from Tesla.

I am surprised at some of the animosity in this thread. I haven't seen anyone posting that I wouldn't call a Tesla fan. I am not in the market for the X but I do hope it is flexible enough to have broad appeal. I started worrying a long time ago when the Falcon Wing doors were first shown. If you ski or surf that might eliminate the X. My interest is in the X being a vehicle which will sell 50K+ units per year on an ongoing basis. That will fit the announced volumes Tesla is planning on and take revenue where it needs to be for Tesla to take the next step. The Roadster was fine as a first car. The S has been a triumph. However, Tesla is no longer a small company with just a few engineers. The X represents their first effort as a "real" car company with cars already in volume production. I want the Model S type of success to happen again and again.