Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster 4.0 Battery developement with Model S cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome, indeed! Once the cells are acquired, how will the purchase & install process work? I'm thinking the best would be to put an order through Medlock or Gruber...

Also, since you're working with Tesla on this, can we presume that other Tesla service items won't be denied? They've been rather annoying in this regard in the past (e.g. with the JdeMO adapter).

I see. Tony Williams is starting the Jdemo conversions again, based on a recent Facebook post. Now he’s putting the DC port behind the rear license plate which is pretty sick.
When I got his original kit, I managed to get it mounted behind the license plate. It took a little of my trunk away, but not much. Looking at his diagrams, it looks like he found a way to design it for that space without taking trunk space. Having said that, the last set of Roadster owners that did a group buy said he took their money and didn't provide product. I hope that isn't true or, if so, has gotten resolved. I saw Tony was also considering a CSS connector for a future version, and if (a) that becomes more common here and (b) my car keeps running, I might love to add that as well!

how would it be possible for USA owners to perform this upgrade or new battery? Would we have to send our battery to you from USA to Germany? 900lb, let alone anyone except a select few that knows how to remove the pack?

I'm assuming anyone from USA would have a difficult time receiving this upgrade if at all?

Hi guys!
I would be possibly be interested in swaping a dead 3.0 battery with this new 4.0 battery, does anybody have some more details and price for this upgrade? I do not see much details Over internet.
I am located 3 hours from Frankfurt.
It is great to see we have roadster experts in Europe :)

Thanks for your help!

Hi guys!
I would be possibly be interested in swaping a dead 3.0 battery with this new 4.0 battery, does anybody have some more details and price for this upgrade? I do not see much details Over internet.
I am located 3 hours from Frankfurt.
It is great to see we have roadster experts in Europe :)

Thanks for your help!
this will never see the light of day

I've said b4Band 'pollogies to repeat here ..
It would be relatively easy to buy, use and get alternative bms and other battery modules eg LG etc eg Modules | Fellten BUT integrating these with the rest of the roadster system (especially its 5 canbus circuits) is THE issue... @chrisro have you sniffed / cracked these code ? Anyone else ??

It would be way easier to rip out all the Roadsters motor / battery / VDU and replace with alternative battery modules and BMS (eg Orion / or smpBMS) plus a Model 3 motor (and integrated PEM), open source or other control software, eg openinverter.org wiki
There are plenty of examples of this approach eg > VX220 with Tesla SDU Model3 motor/pem cost from $1-2K

BUT would that still be a Tesla Roadster ???

BUT would that still be a Tesla Roadster ???
Good point, as without Battery, PEM, VDS, and motor, what's left over is basically the glider as sent to Menlo Park from Lotus in England.

But, a Roadster with a water-cooled Model 3 motor/PEM sounds pretty enticing to me and would probably hold up fairly well in the resale market if it works the same as on-brand mods in the ICE world work. That the knowledge for maintaining such a beast is still relatively rare (unlike engine swaps in ICE), however, may limit its appeal.