Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster: Don't Need 250 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vern Padgett

Proud and Grinning Model S90D owners
Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2006
Whittier, California
I have the money to buy a Roadster. I bought two Model S90Ds last year.

I love to use Summon in the parking lot at my job every day. I am the local sales rep for Tesla.

I could continue this with a Roadster 2.

But I can't go 250 mph. I can't even go 125 mph. I maybe can go 62.5 mph, sometimes.

So-- I would like to buy a Roadster 2 that might not be able to go 250 mph or have 620 miles of range (we live 3 miles from my work, and we have two 240 volt 40 amp connectors in our garage).

Can Tesla offer me, and others like me, a Roadster 2 that meets my lesser needs, and doesn't cost a quarter of a million dollars?

Unfortunately a Halo car is expected to do Halo things and the figures you quote are for the base model apparently.
So any options will only make the situation worse from your perspective - quicker acceleration and higher top speeds.

I'm guessing that this is a re-run of the discussion you had when buying your current Teslas - why pay more for the Performance version when the Standard is plenty?

Tesla aren't going to offer an equivalent "S" version of the Roadster. That car is all about the P.

I think you made that last one up, RS :) Here was the plan:

1. Create a low volume car, which would necessarily be expensive
  2. Use that money to develop a medium volume car at a lower price
  3. Use that money to create an affordable, high volume car
  4. Provide solar power. No kidding, this has literally been on our website for 10 years.

Then Part Deux:
  1. Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage
  2. Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments
  3. Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning
  4. Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it

I think you made that last one up, RS :) Here was the plan:

4. Provide solar power. No kidding, this has literally been on our website for 10 years.

Then Part Deux:
  1. Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage
  2. Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments
  3. Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning
  4. Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it

So it is:
  5. Use that money to again build a low volume car, no kidding we came up with this after watching the lion king.
It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
From anywhere between 5.6 to 1.9 seconds to sixty
Our main mission is creating fast cars
We mean sustainable transportaaaaation
In the Circle
The Circle of Life

Didn't they openly announce their 4. point master plan?

Well yeah, but that was eleven years ago with an update last year

I think Elon was expecting that the first Roadster and the S were going to encourage Big Auto to go full EV rather than drag their heels with hybrids. Hence the, ahem, change of plan with another Roadster appearing sooner than expected.

Last edited:
Well yeah, but that was eleven years ago with an update last year

I think Elon was expecting that the first Roadster and the S were going to encourage Big Auto to go full EV rather than drag their heels with hybrids. Hence the, ahem, change of plan with another Roadster appearing sooner than expected.

So the super low volume car promised for 2020 will change the big OEMs minds more than the Model 3?

I mean they might sometimes behave like they are, but they aren’t literally 7 year old boys. At least Barra is a girl!

The numbers needed to change the mindset of the last remaining automotive CEOs aren’t 0-60 figures and no also not quarter mile. Pretty sure whoever runs Ford right now didn’t change the plans for electrification there, because of the Roadster.

So the super low volume car promised for 2020 will change the big OEMs minds more than the Model 3?

I mean they might sometimes behave like they are, but they aren’t literally 7 year old boys. At least Berra is a girl!

The numbers needed to change the mindset of the last remaining automotive CEOs aren’t 0-60 figures and no also not quarter mile. Pretty sure whoever runs Ford right now didn’t change the plans for electrification there, because of the Roadster.
Pretty sure Tesla has this nailed. Not that many years ago, Big Auto was laughing at Tesla, calling them a niche player and EVs a niche market. Now they're all bringing out their own EVs (some exclusively), countries are declaring that ICE is dead, and EVs are here to stay.

Supercars weren't introduced to change the minds of OEMs. This isn't about that. It's about dreams and realizing you don't have to give anything up to go electric.

Tesla has done a pretty good job of that so far. With people second-guessing them every step of the way.

Can Tesla offer me, and others like me, a Roadster 2 that meets my lesser needs, and doesn't cost a quarter of a million dollars?

Model 3, Performance version. Corvette performance at Corvette prices (with better safety, cheaper fuel & maintenance, and better for the environment). And it’ll be here before the Roadster.

The Roadster is (better than) Ferrari performance at a tiny fraction of Ferrari prices. But not everyone wants a Ferrari, even if they can afford it. So enjoy the Model 3 Performance in a year or so.

Pretty sure Tesla has this nailed. Not that many years ago, Big Auto was laughing at Tesla, calling them a niche player and EVs a niche market. Now they're all bringing out their own EVs (some exclusively), countries are declaring that ICE is dead, and EVs are here to stay.

Supercars weren't introduced to change the minds of OEMs. This isn't about that. It's about dreams and realizing you don't have to give anything up to go electric.

Tesla has done a pretty good job of that so far. With people second-guessing them every step of the way.

Not sure what you’re argument is here? Tesla has done a good job convincing them, but not a good enough?

Look, I’m not arguing that the Model 3 hasn’t changed a lot. Just that building this Roadster was kind of unnecessary. Not that it would be a bad idea, but just rather pointless.

Other than R&D time/resources, I don't think the Roadster will cost them anything. They're pricing it to bring in around $250M. And in typical Tesla fashion, it's already bringing in gobs of free advertising for the brand and it's reputation. They've knocked it out of the park being known for making luxury, efficient, high-tech features, and now with the 3, mainstream. The new Roadster reminds people that they are really good at performance, too. And like I said, it probably isn't costing them anything as I bet they priced it to approximate their costs on it. I don't see a downside. They're probably working on 2-3 other models right now we haven't seen yet. A smaller SUV, a pickup truck, and maybe a full-size SUV, too.

I love to use Summon in the parking lot at my job every day. I am the local sales rep for Tesla.

But I can't go 250 mph. I can't even go 125 mph. I maybe can go 62.5 mph, sometimes.

So-- I would like to buy a Roadster 2 that might not be able to go 250 mph or have 620 miles of range (we live 3 miles from my work, and we have two 240 volt 40 amp connectors in our garage).

Maybe. But the general answer would be no.

It'll be a halo car that serves as a development platform, particularly for powertrain development:
- charging
- transmission
- battery
- performance

Not sure what you’re argument is here? Tesla has done a good job convincing them, but not a good enough?

Look, I’m not arguing that the Model 3 hasn’t changed a lot. Just that building this Roadster was kind of unnecessary. Not that it would be a bad idea, but just rather pointless.
Quite simple: You appear to think the new Roadster is a waste of resources & not necessary. My position is they know what they're doing, as proven by outcome-to-date.

Sure it is called the first generation Roadster and there are several fine ones for sale. Still very quick, with head turning style.

I mean they might sometimes behave like they are, but they aren’t literally 7 year old boys. At least Barra is a girl!

It's not a matter of volume. The Volt exists because of the original Roadster, of which only 2,450 ever existed. Ask Bob Lutz.

Tea leaves and speculation. Here’s my 2 cents:

The new Roadster is a flagship. Even if you drive a basic 3, you’re driving a vehicle made by a company who’s proven that battery cars are faster, cheaper to own and cool. Yeah, having the bloodline of the fastest production car is COOL. People love cool cars, people buy cool cars. When enough people buy cool cars, THEN the CEO’s from the dinosaur cars will need batteries for their new, cool, on-the-drawing-board cars. Where do you think they will get them?

Reactions: Vern Padgett