Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Goodies for 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyway they could allow Supercharging at a lower power (with modifications) for less money or would it be so expensive it wouldn't matter and you should just go for the 135kw speed?0

The Superchargers can charge your car at any rate they want. If they sense a Roadster, for example, it would simply supply power at an appropriate level. The PEM is bypassed for DC. Even if they replaced the contactor in the ESS which is designed only for AC, you would have to charge at a much lower rate than the Model S unless they replace the cells with current technology. The ESS cooling system is unlikely to be able to transfer heat fast enough to handle DC charging much higher than 30 kW. The Roadster chemistry can't handle as much heat as the Model S cells. Having said that, 30kW would be pretty nice!

In any case, wiztecy is probably right in that we're getting a little too far ahead of ourselves from a couple of blurry pics.

Time to revive WHAT IS THE BIG 2014 SURPRISE FOR THE ROADSTER????

I'd be thrilled with 30kW for the Roadster. If they could do that with a very low cost upgrade (not a new battery pack at this point) people would be thrilled. It it were designed so that when you did upgrade to a new battery pack years from now and get even more powe , even better.

My prediction: They will overhaul the charging system with software updates and hardware exchanges. Including changing the socket of the Roadster to the Model S. I bet it will be a package costing about $5000+ and will include:
Supercharging (at 40kw) (Software and hardware bypass= $1500)
Twin Chargers 20kw (european charger model) ($2000)
Roadster to Model S HPWC connector (included in cost) ($750)(Compatible with model S charger too
New mobile connected and adapters ($750)
Charging rates:
HPWC's:
Roadster: 16.8kw (56 mph)
Model S: 20kw (72 mph)(speed curve matched) Real power charged per hour: 15.6kwh
Supercharging:
Limited to 40kw (156 mph) (speed curve matched) Real power charged per hour: 34kwh

Elon already said emphatically that Roadster is not compatible with Supercharging. So, I rather doubt this speculation is accurate.

I tend to agree that Supercharging would require quite a large hardware change that will be hard to 'justify' cost wise.
On the other hand, TEG speculation is much less involved and provides good bang for the buck!
Especially if they do add overflow capabilities to supercharger station that roadster can now leverage by adding HPC2...
This overflow will benefit all Model S & futur Model X...not just us!!!
Much easier to justify than adding a roadster charger...

Sounds like a nice 'future proof' type of enhancements for us roadster owners!

SC Roadsters

Elon already said emphatically that Roadster is not compatible with Supercharging. So, I rather doubt this speculation is accurate.

Clearly we don't really know what we are talking about, but everyone "could" be right. The Roadster is not CURRENTLY compatible with Supercharging, but back in August 2011, after I had my Roadster I had gone to a Roadster demonstration event in Stowe, VT to put my car out there with the ones Tesla brought to demo. I was commenting to the Tesla rep how nice it would be for the Roadsters to have SC capability since the upcoming Model S would have this. The Tesla rep said to me that Tesla heard this all the time from Roadster owners and that he wouldn't be surprised, wink, wink, nudge nudge, if there wasn't a small side project with the engineering team to see if there was a way to bring that fruition. That was years ago, so perhaps it was just a thought and not really an comment based on insider knowledge, but if it were a small side project, I could certainly see it taking back seat to the really important projects of launching Model S and X, leading to delays. I will just have to hope...

I'd be thrilled with 30kW for the Roadster. If they could do that with a very low cost upgrade (not a new battery pack at this point) people would be thrilled. ...

You're dreaming. Minimum $15k for this. Nothing for the Roadster will ever be "very low cost."

My prediction: They will overhaul the charging system with software updates and hardware exchanges. Including changing the socket of the Roadster to the Model S. I bet it will be a package costing about $5000+ and will include:
Supercharging (at 40kw) (Software and hardware bypass= $1500)
Twin Chargers 20kw (european charger model) ($2000)
Roadster to Model S HPWC connector (included in cost) ($750)(Compatible with model S charger too
New mobile connected and adapters ($750)

You're dreaming too. Think $20k +. And "twin chargers" makes no sense when the Roadster already charges at 70A. The mods to the existing charger/PEM would be minimal compared to the changes to the ESS required for DC charging.

Time to revive WHAT IS THE BIG 2014 SURPRISE FOR THE ROADSTER????

You're dreaming. Minimum $15k for this. Nothing for the Roadster will ever be "very low cost."

For the Roadster that would be 'low cost':). Other rumored or wished for upgrades people were talking about were up to $80k for Supercharging and a new battery.

If Tesla were to do something special for Roadster owners, they hopefully wouldn't go after their usual margins. They wouldn't need to make this small program a major profit center. More of a PR move and thank you to the owners who helped bring them along. I'm not saying they should give it away however.

Elon said in the last conference call that they had to draw resources away from the Model X program to work on Model S issues. So engineering resources are already scarce enough to delay The Next Big Thing. How many people do you think they have spare to work on Roadster projects? I expect any Roadster treats will be well delayed into 2015, after Model X production ramps.

As a current Model S owner, I tell everyone who listens that the success of the Model S was due to the trials and tribulations the Roadster owners put up with. Without the Roadster the Model S rollout could not have been nearly a successful as it was!

Also, I did see a comment earlier about wanting 70 amp Roadster chargers at each Supercharging location - I think that would be awesome! But I suspect the Roadster owners will have to fork over the money for those stations (as each Model S owner who got the Supercharging capability enabled has had to do for the Superchargers)

Clearly we don't really know what we are talking about, but everyone "could" be right. The Roadster is not CURRENTLY compatible with Supercharging, but back in August 2011, after I had my Roadster I had gone to a Roadster demonstration event in Stowe, VT to put my car out there with the ones Tesla brought to demo. I was commenting to the Tesla rep how nice it would be for the Roadsters to have SC capability since the upcoming Model S would have this. The Tesla rep said to me that Tesla heard this all the time from Roadster owners and that he wouldn't be surprised, wink, wink, nudge nudge, if there wasn't a small side project with the engineering team to see if there was a way to bring that fruition. That was years ago, so perhaps it was just a thought and not really an comment based on insider knowledge, but if it were a small side project, I could certainly see it taking back seat to the really important projects of launching Model S and X, leading to delays. I will just have to hope...

That is exactly what Elon was dismissing - that there would be any chance of modifying the Roadster to be SC compatible.

If Elon promises something we might question whether it will happen on time, but if he dismisses something I think we can be very certain it's not gonna happen.

Who you gonna believe, some random Tesla rep several years ago, or Elon last year?

Also, I did see a comment earlier about wanting 70 amp Roadster chargers at each Supercharging location - I think that would be awesome! But I suspect the Roadster owners will have to fork over the money for those stations (as each Model S owner who got the Supercharging capability enabled has had to do for the Superchargers)

I would be happy to foot the bill for a couple of these. If each Roadster owner did one, we could have all of the SuperCharger locations covered pretty quickly.

In the mean time, I'm sponsoring a few Sun Country Highway CS-100 stations so we can have something for Roadsters on the east coast.

Very cool. Exactly what TEG was talking about. Did you get any clearer pictures?
No, unfortunately. It was around 10PM and I didn't want to get stopped for suspicious activity.

Hopefully its an adapter for the Roadster. The Roadster charge port is basically glued on and many of us have a UMC, 120v Connector and HPC. It would be nice to be able to use all of these still while also being able to use the Model S HPWC.
@jbadger, Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe that's an adapter. That's much more likely to be a Tesla II inlet to replace the native Roadster inlet. @markwj, They may also be working on a European version which they should have done years ago.
It definitely did not appear to be an adapter, it looked more as if they removed the Roadster port completely and replaced it with a Model S port.

Could we be over analyzing this due to the long awaited surprise that's keeping everyone on their toes. To me it looks like an engineer who had an extra free model-S charge port and stuck that into his Roadster. Possibly he has a Model-S too and got tired of having multiple chargers at home. I wouldn't doubt that Tesla DeerPark office didn't already or will soon pull down all the HPC Roadster chargers (like Santana Row) and hence another reason for an employee to do the charge port upgrade.
I posted it just for discussion and that I thought it was neat. I agree that it's most likely an engineer playing around because he can. The car had other mods as well like LED side markers.