Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster in 2019ish? (With Maximum Plaid)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The percentage of all Porsche owners who ever take their car to the track is likely <1%. Negligible. Anyone who wants a sports car for track use can continue to buy an ICE. Everyone else will switch to EVs.

And there lies the problem with Porsche. There's a reason few people take them to the track. They have turned their formerly good track cars into luxo-mobiles for people who want a softer, heavier feel with all manner of useless clutter inside the cabin. That's one of the greatest qualities of a Tesla Roadster. It's simple and focused on being light weight. You get in a Roadster and breathe a sigh of relief "This is where I belong." You get in a new 911 and begin to fall asleep.

Thanks Henry, your post made me chuckle in agreement. [emoji3]
The next Tesla Roadster doesn't have to be "track capable" to make ICE sports cars like Porsches obsolete because very few modern sports car drivers take their cars to the track, ever. So while it is true that EVs cannot run at near maximum output for nearly as long as high performance ICE's can, it doesn't matter. Porsche can keep trying to associate their vehicles with the company's racing history but that strategy will not save them in the long run. The next Tesla Roadster will be a superior car for less money than a modern 911 unless Porsche goes electric. Not hybrid, electric. High performance hybrid sports cars are too complex, too costly, and have no room for anything but two people.

And there lies the problem with Porsche. There's a reason few people take them to the track. They have turned their formerly good track cars into luxo-mobiles for people who want a softer, heavier feel with all manner of useless clutter inside the cabin. That's one of the greatest qualities of a Tesla Roadster. It's simple and focused on being light weight. You get in a Roadster and breathe a sigh of relief "This is where I belong." You get in a new 911 and begin to fall asleep.

Aptly put.

A roadster should be simple, fast, Spartan. The most important luxury item should be a firm yet comfortable seat. The next most important is leg and head room. After that forward visibility.

The Porsche has become a joke, and has been a joke in my humble opinion since they ended the air cooled engines. (Others will disagree).

My reference in my earlier post to the next gen roadster sitting higher is an implication that the next gen roadster will never have the same low center of gravity and lateral handling that this generation of roadster has.

I worry that the next gen roadster will be a bit watered down with too many amenities in expense of handling and true roadster feel. (I hope I'm wrong).

MHO. Your mileage may vary.

Best,

T

...My reference in my earlier post to the next gen roadster sitting higher is an implication that the next gen roadster will never have the same low center of gravity and lateral handling that this generation of roadster has. ...

I don't think you should assume the next gen Roadster will have a higher center of gravity. Tesla's way of doing things now is to put the batteries on the bottom, lower than they are in the current Roadster. The passengers might have to sit 6" higher but I wouldn't put it past Tesla to design a solution that keeps the passengers as low as the current Roadster, while still locating most of the batteries on the bottom.

And it will have a "real world" 450 mile range.
All ICE sports cars will obsolete. Porsche, are you paying attention?

+1
It will roll out in 2019, as Elon likes to have the sharpest harpoon for the biggest fish/whale.

Nothing like having a premium top-level car as the best sports car on the planet as part of your Marque.
Unless they start some serious full EV development now, Porsche and others will be neutered.

Aptly put.

A roadster should be simple, fast, Spartan. The most important luxury item should be a firm yet comfortable seat. The next most important is leg and head room. After that forward visibilty.
T
Agreed for the most part. I experimented with both ends of the spectrum-a Lotus Elise, then an SL55. I'd like something electric in the middle or closer to Elsie-like but in a size "medium/large".

If the roof was on the Elsie, I had to put my hands on the pavement to crawl out on occasion. Fine with the roof off, step in and slide down. But then winter comes, and that drove me to the SL. Funny thing is they both had 0-60 times of 4.4, now bested by my 85D. But neither was optimum.

So if Tesla makes a roadster with the attributes you describe that goes to plaid and can use the superchargers, I'm in.

No question in my mind the new Roadster will handily out-perform the best of the competition on all major bragging rights.If so that means something like:
285 mph top speed beating the Henessy venom at only 270 mph
0-100kph in 1.9 seconds beating the Lamborghini Aventador LP1600 at only 2.1 seconds
Overall handling to exceed the McLaren P1
CG will be better than the S, not all that hard to do with four years to play with. I'll wager this one will have supercar pricing and possibly other restrictions simply because the chance of people killing themselves will be too high for mass production.

After all Maximum Plaid is predefined as an effectively an "infinitely improbable" speed, quoting from another Elon Musk favored author.

I'll wager this one will have supercar pricing and possibly other restrictions simply because the chance of people killing themselves will be too high for mass production.

After all Maximum Plaid is predefined as an effectively an "infinitely improbable" speed, quoting from another Elon Musk favored author.

I hope there are a few levels to it, so those who need and can afford the worlds fastest can get the supercar P version. I'd settle for sub 4 second times in a drop-top 2 seater with great handling and looks if the price point was below supercar levels.

I hope there are a few levels to it, so those who need and can afford the worlds fastest can get the supercar P version. I'd settle for sub 4 second times in a drop-top 2 seater with great handling and looks if the price point was below supercar levels.

I'm expecting we'll see something along these more reasonable levels on the Model 3 platform reasonably soonish - maybe not day 1 of release, but a convertible on that platform is an obvious extension, and the car will have all kinds of handling and acceleration available.

The supercar to trump all supercars is further out. 2022 sounds reasonable, knowing that as we approach 22, it'll become more like 25 or 28 :)

Agreed. The next Roadster should be able to achieve outstanding handling and performance (1G on the skid pad, under 4 second 0-60 time, 11 second 1/4 mile, under .24 CD) with 300 miles of real world range at a base price of under $70K for a RWD version with a solid list of standard features similar to what the S has now. With the Gigafactory in full production my SWAG is that base price should be achievable and still give a comfortable profit margin.
Options like Dual Motor AWD, a significantly higher performance rear motor for 3 second 0-60, Ludicrous Mode for 2.5 second 0-60, Autopilot, air suspension, fancier seats, upgraded sound, track suspension with extra cooling for track use, would take the price over $110K and fully loaded the car would be classed with the best ICE super cars (and of course it would be better in many ways!) while costing far less.
But I don't want it more than 10% larger dimensionally than the "old" Roadster. A bigger trunk would be nice.
It's fun to dream. But Elon will make it happen.

Last edited:
My current, 5 year old Roadster can pull over 1g on a skid pad, and do a sub 4 second 0-60...whilst I don't want a new Roadster to have:scared: a "supercar" price, I see absolutely no reason why Tesla would tone down the specs of their "performance" vehicle to less than that of a Model S, X, or Gen III....it makes no sense imo...

My current, 5 year old Roadster can pull over 1g on a skid pad, and do a sub 4 second 0-60...whilst I don't want a new Roadster to have:scared: a "supercar" price, I see absolutely no reason why Tesla would tone down the specs of their "performance" vehicle to less than that of a Model S, X, or Gen III....it makes no sense imo...

Agreed. A roadster in Tesla speak should always be a halo car and needs to have better performance in a straight line AND on a sineous road, and preferably also on a track, than any other of their models. This will inherently also comande a higher price, such as the original roadster.

And my 2009 Roadster will do the same. Sorry, I wasn't intending to promote the idea that the next Roadster in its base version would be a worse car that the original Roadster (nor was I intending to give precise specs for the next Roadster). My intent was to promote the idea that the next Roadster, in its base form, could be as good or better performance/handling/features wise than the original Roadster but cost much much less, and that the next Roadster could offer options that would take it into Supercar performance territory while still costing less than the original Roadster and far far less than the Supercars it would be compared to.