Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster in 2019ish? (With Maximum Plaid)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aptly put.

My reference in my earlier post to the next gen roadster sitting higher is an implication that the next gen roadster will never have the same low center of gravity and lateral handling that this generation of roadster has.

T

I gotta believe the nextgen roadster will have a lower CG, with the battery pack in the floor vs behind the seats

I don't mean on sale
I'm just wondering when we get to see the prototype
Okay, then based on the fact that Tesla showed the S and X prototypes years before the cars went into production, we could conceivably see the next Roadster in prototype form in 2018. But really, who knows. The Model 3 needs to get launched and it seems possible it could launch in sedan and CUV form simultaneously, and many times Elon has said he is interested in making a truck, so Tesla has a lot on its plate.

Here are some of my own rambling thoughts about the next-gen Roadster. . .

Will it even be a "roadster" in either name or form? That we got an open-top 2-seater the first time around seems almost as much a matter of circumstance as choice, since the Lotus Elise was the starting point. Could it go 2+2? Could it be designed from the start as a hard-top? Will it be a true, dedicated sports car or more of a high-performance pony car? One can imagine that the latter might reach a wider audience -- but some might see as impure and compromised.

It *should* be built on top of the Model 3 skateboard. That's just the sensible, efficient way to do it, and is the kind of thing the skateboard concept was originally intended for.

The skateboard layout, AWD (I presume), Supercharger access and economies of scale should combine to make it a much better-specified, more attractive and more cost-effective car than the Roadster. Cost-effective doesn't necessarily mean cheaper, though. It depends on how Tesla position it in the market. Personally, I hope they try to keep the price within the bounds of the original Roadster (if not a bit lower) rather than go for the "exclusive supercar" gold ring. Less Lamborghini, more Corvette. Teslavette?

They have promised "Maximum Plaid" which I assume means quicker than Ludicrous. So, less than 2.8s 0-60 time.
I suspect that will require some light weight exotic materials. Back to carbon fiber for the body?
Model 3 was said to maybe use steel (for cost savings)?, so there is that conflict about the intent of the "skateboard" (low end starter Tesla, vs quickest Tesla in the lineup.)

... or more of a high-performance pony car?

This would be the Model 3 PxQL and not the Roadster. :)

They are talking about a new Roadster. And that tells me that it will be open-top. They may get away with an open 2+2 - and that will make sense if they are using the Gen-III skateboard - it would be a long 2 seater if all guesses on the relative longer wheelbase on the Gen-III platform is right.

It *should* be built on top of the Model 3 skateboard. That's just the sensible, efficient way to do it, and is the kind of thing the skateboard concept was originally intended for.
While that would be the most cost effective approach, my concern is that is an excessively long wheelbase for a two-seater, which is my preference. I would prefer to see the next Roadster be much smaller and shorter than the Model 3 so that it is much lighter even without the use of exotic and expensive body panel materials. Of course than the challenge is getting a high enough capacity battery into the floor of a small car.

I think we are a LONG way off. Elon promised the Model X more than a year ago and I have yet to of someone who had driven one. The Roadsters owners were promised a 400 mile upgrade that has been down rated to 330 miles and we find there is NO option for the first 500 or 20% cars. New technology is hard and Tesla is still a very new company. They also promised Ranger service for $100 and now that has changed.

I think we are a LONG way off. Elon promised the Model X more than a year ago and I have yet to of someone who had driven one. The Roadsters owners were promised a 400 mile upgrade that has been down rated to 330 miles and we find there is NO option for the first 500 or 20% cars. New technology is hard and Tesla is still a very new company. They also promised Ranger service for $100 and now that has changed.

but at this point for Tesla its not really new technology, at this stage we can assume that they are getting better at the process of designing and building new cars

but at this point for Tesla its not really new technology, at this stage we can assume that they are getting better at the process of designing and building new cars

Do you mean like the timely and rapid roll out of the Model X? After more than a year of delays a friend canceled his Model X and purchased a Lexus hybrid. It really pained me but I could understand his pain and frustration.

Last edited:
The model X uses only 30% of the parts as the model S, IIRC. This is a negative indicator of Tesla having the discipline and skill to build multiple cars on one platform. It doesn't seem that Musk would build a new roadster on the model 3 chassis.

I think a two door high end sports car/GT, like Jaguar is currently building, would sell better than another roadster. I think this type of car fits better with Tesla's core buyer too. With Tesla's tiny market share I don't know why they would be building another two seater. Or even a seven seater MX.