Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster in showroom?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone on the Tesla Model 3 Facebook group has said the new Roadster is in their local showroom. No photos provided. I rather tersely suggested they were full of it. The geotag on their post did suggest they were in Fremont.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? It does sound unlikely that they would put a non production version of a vehicle that was over two years away from release in a sales area?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: AEdennis
Someone on the Tesla Model 3 Facebook group has said the new Roadster is in their local showroom. No photos provided. I rather tersely suggested they were full of it. The geotag on their post did suggest they were in Fremont.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? It does sound unlikely that they would put a non production version of a vehicle that was over two years away from release in a sales area?
It's very possible that it's an original Roadster and they're confused, thinking it's the 2020 Roadster. Fremont has some original Roadsters around & they always catch the eye. I don't know that they put one in the showroom there, but they could have.

I doubt that the 2020 Roadster is on display. But don't know that.

Update: It appears the person is a Tesla employee and so can't post photos - which is weird because wouldn't the showroom be a public area?

From Google Street View it seems the showroom is pretty small? Only one car in there at the moment?

If anyone is visiting the Fremont factory, feel free to pop in to the store and take photos!

It is possible that it is the "roller" model (dark gray) which doesn't actually have a drivetrain. They showed that at the reveal event.

Edit: Nope - looks like the actual fully drivable red prototype !

Last edited:
Reactions: ggr
Pics at Electrek:
3lewp71oreg011-e1518719457521.jpg

Tesla brings new Roadster prototype to the Bay Area

I am going to guess some things with wild speculations:

#1: Electronics, battery, & drivetrain developed by engineers at that Palo Alto HQ
#2: Components sent to LA to be turned into the hand build prototype with body panels crafted by the LA design studio.
#3: Completed vehicle returns to Palo Alto so the engineers can see the resulting package that holds the fruit of their efforts.

I am guessing that the car is not really open to the public for display. Maybe just employees & guests invited to the HQ for business reasons get to check it out?

Update: It appears the person is a Tesla employee and so can't post photos - which is weird because wouldn't the showroom be a public area?
My guess is that the photo was taken inside the Fremont factory or inside Tesla HQ in Palo Alto.

The new Roadster is certainly not being shown at this time in any public Tesla showroom or someone would have posted about it.