Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Owner - Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibcs

Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
I would like a recommendation on winter tires for Roadster 1196 - 2.5 Non Sport. I currently have the Advan Neova 175/55/r16 in the front and Neova Advan 225/45/17 in the rear. I live near Dayton, Ohio and I currently have few questions...

• What is the preferred winter tires (Front and rear)?
    Do I need to have Tesla Install them? (Columbus in 65 miles away and no way to transport in roadster)
    How does it affect the tire pressure sensor system?
    Do most people buy another set of rims?
    Can the rims be purchased third party or what are the advantages of using Tesla?

I know after installing the tires you have to set the system for new tires. Any other procedures that I'm missing would be great to be discussed.

Thank you in advance as I've only had the roadster since 9/27/13. Tried reading through the tire thread and got more confused after reading it.

What is the preferred winter tires (Front and rear)?

The options I am aware of are:

Hankook W300 Icebear
195/50/16 front
225/45/17 rear

Pirelli
225/45/R17 94V Pirelli Sottozero 240
195/50/R16 Pirelli Snowsport 210

I've driven on the Pirellis and they worked okay.

Do I need to have Tesla Install them? (Columbus in 65 miles away and no way to transport in roadster)

No, any competent tire shop can do it. But I would take them to a good shop.

How does it affect the tire pressure sensor system?

You would need to get TPMS sensors and have them programmed with a Tesla-specific tool. Tesla used to sell the tools (not cheap) but they have also been known to lend them.

Personally I don't bother - when I put my other set of wheels on I just live with the TMPS errors. But I'm in Canada and they aren't mandated here... and I regularly check my pressures manually.

Do most people buy another set of rims?

Very good idea. Swapping the tires on the rims is not good for them, especially with the stiff sidewalls on the summer tires.

Can the rims be purchased third party or what are the advantages of using Tesla?

Options are extremely limited because the Roadster has a unique bolt pattern (Lotus uses 4 bolts, Tesla 5). No one makes these except on special order.

The options I am aware of are:

Hankook W300 Icebear
195/50/16 front
225/45/17 rear

Pirelli
225/45/R17 94V Pirelli Sottozero 240
195/50/R16 Pirelli Snowsport 210

I've driven on the Pirellis and they worked okay.

No, any competent tire shop can do it. But I would take them to a good shop.

You would need to get TPMS sensors and have them programmed with a Tesla-specific tool. Tesla used to sell the tools (not cheap) but they have also been known to lend them.

Personally I don't bother - when I put my other set of wheels on I just live with the TMPS errors. But I'm in Canada and they aren't mandated here... and I regularly check my pressures manually.

Very good idea. Swapping the tires on the rims is not good for them, especially with the stiff sidewalls on the summer tires.

Options are extremely limited because the Roadster has a unique bolt pattern (Lotus uses 4 bolts, Tesla 5). No one makes these except on special order.

Thanks Doug,

I really appreciate you taking the time to walk a first time owner through the process. Sounds like I need to order the rims from Tesla as soon as possible. Not looking for anything fancy for Winter, so I'll look at my options and then find the Hankook or Pirelli's in my local area.

---Kent

I have used Continental Extreme Contact DWS and in our snow of last year I passed many cars stuck at the bottom of the hills. They also last 2.5X longer than the Yokohama's

Do you just ignore the Tire Pressure warning system? I like the idea of the Continental for tire life and relatively easy to find locally.
Did you order rims from Tesla?