Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't want to mention anything until I received the unit back but and successfully hooked back up but I sent my 400v controller off to Switzerland to get upgraded from gs-technology.

My car has been gutted and disabled for 5-6 days now and will probably be another week maybe more before I receive the package; on a crazy note my package was delivered to Switzerland in 3 day period through FedEx.

This is not for the faint hearted at all; even I am nervous hoping the controller successfully gets back here.

Not sure if anyone from USA has done or if i'm the only crazy one?

While in the front I also cleaned everything up.

EN:
we had this issue of defective Eberspächer's HVAC very often, especially the last 2 years.
The newly developed version from us has the following advantages compared to the original Tesla (Eberspächer) version:

internal separated Precharge
-> this means that the vehicle is always ready to drive, regardless with or without PTC heating
-> if the PTC heater really fails, it is guaranteed that you can still drive and charge.
Light pipe instead of the LED in the housing
-> Known problems of the HVAC are "BSM Isolation Faults" after washing the vehicle
-> our new version has an optical fiber connection and is electrically separated from the housing
new power devices in SMT Technology
- > the new power semiconductors are all integrated on the circuit board (PCB), no risk of insulation faults to the housing
-> the semiconductors have much better electrical and thermal characteristics
Left / right hand drive compatible
-> the differences left- / right-hand drive are only in the vehicle position / bracket
-> the new HVAC fits both versions (LHD, RHD)

VG / Best Regards eMG

ba981e48de994a1012346b9f11889dd464acb501_2_666x500.jpeg

IMG_9085.JPG
IMG_8943 (3).JPG

Last edited:
I have received the 400v controller upgrade from GS Technology and everything works perfect; I tested the heat, cool ac, and took for a spin and car is charging perfectly.

As I am the first person from the USA to do this I wanted to share information in order to make this process a little more simple for other people. The process took about 3 weeks to ship off and get the package in return; I literally grew 2 new grey hairs but i'll leave that photo out. :eek:

Discussing with other members of the community one of the main issues with the roadsters is the 400v controllers fail after some time. It's been realized that the current HVAC controller board they created for the Tesla Roadster is no good; I wouldn't say no good as it's still working and I had no issues with mine; however, no one thought these cars would still be operable 10 years in time and here we are.

400v Controller upgrade - GS Technology

61764062265__AAC10C58-6A40-4268-BBB0-22523425BFBF.JPG
61763697477__48F2A78A-23A8-4BD8-86B5-8F20EA7D9DF7.JPG

• Love
Reactions: drewski and Bunnak
I have received the 400v controller upgrade from GS Technology and everything works perfect; I tested the heat, cool ac, and took for a spin and car is charging perfectly.

As I am the first person from the USA to do this I wanted to share information in order to make this process a little more simple for other people. The process took about 3 weeks to ship off and get the package in return; I literally grew 2 new grey hairs but i'll leave that photo out. :eek:

Discussing with other members of the community one of the main issues with the roadsters is the 400v controllers fail after some time. It's been realized that the current HVAC controller board they created for the Tesla Roadster is no good; I wouldn't say no good as it's still working and I had no issues with mine; however, no one thought these cars would still be operable 10 years in time and here we are.

400v Controller upgrade - GS Technology

View attachment 569903 View attachment 569904
Did you have problems with yours or was it preventive? Any place to reference for pricing for the upgrade/repair and shipping?

Did you have problems with yours or was it preventive? Any place to reference for pricing for the upgrade/repair and shipping?

Everything seemed to be working fine, this was for preventive for the future to come. I did get 283 and 286 error codes "BSM: Isolation Fault" and "BSM: Isolation Fault while contactors closed" so I was told the upgrade should prevent this from happening.

This is the most of the reason on why I upgraded - you can see how I received those errors here - BSM Fault errors

Few things I did while waiting for the 400v controller to arrive. The side bolt on the PEM was corroding or just built up really bad dirt over the years so cleaned it up with a q-tip but still dirty so I used a dry tooth brush to get the rest all cleaned up and re-applied more dielectric grease.

I saw MarkEV use Glow tape on his charging cable which is a good idea imo for safety.

1.JPG
2.jpg
3.JPG
IMG_9271.JPG
IMG_9274.JPG
61782360053__19A6BAAC-0874-4F38-9F04-0912E7B06285.JPG

So you can turn this on and cool the battery down for say 10 minutes or longer instead of the avg 1:45-2:00 minute cycles it does while charging?

While you're charging, you can also use OVMS command line and issue: "charge cooldown"
This will do the 'toggling' for you between range & standard charge to trigger one cooldown cycle.
Rinse & repeat until temperature is down to your liking...
Not as 'automatic' as flipping a switch but it stops on its own if you forget about it...like I certianly would! :)

(really nice write up for the 400V converter!)

Out of idle curiosity, do you think they would repair a broken one as a way to start having one core unit to ship? or maybe we could sort out a loaner unit to pass around while new ones are being made. They are so simple to swap it would make sense. I would like to know I would not be without a car for 4 weeks, at that point I would have to replace mine at tesla and send them my defective one.

Reactions: DeedWest and ra88it
Out of idle curiosity, do you think they would repair a broken one as a way to start having one core unit to ship? or maybe we could sort out a loaner unit to pass around while new ones are being made. They are so simple to swap it would make sense. I would like to know I would not be without a car for 4 weeks, at that point I would have to replace mine at tesla and send them my defective one.

no need; some good news is coming for the USA owners for the 400v controllers. You will hear it soon.