Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's activity was to get to the Headlights to start work on the headlight modifications and to remove the calipers so they can get sanded and repainted. I chose a High Gloss silver finish which retains the original look of of the calipers and will add the "T E S L A" lettering on the front calipers in "Black" coloring.

Everything was a success!! I found someone on the "Roadster owners club" group on facebook here in West Palm Beach area that owns 3 lotus Elise's so he knew what he was doing blind-folded and in flip flops lol; I have found my new local technician!

Removing the headlights sounded daunting but it was much easier then expected; just like in this video from Guber Power we followed the steps and managed to slide down the front bumper a little to get the headlights out no issue - Flawless!

IMG_7713.JPG
IMG_7731.JPG
IMG_7730.JPG
IMG_7727.JPG
IMG_7726.JPG
IMG_7725.JPG
IMG_7724.JPG
IMG_7720.JPG
IMG_7719.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7729.JPG
    IMG_7729.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: augkuo and drewski
I need to flush the brakes when I re-install the re-painted calipers; can anyone tell me the proper brake fluid and type to use? I'm on the brembo product page now and they have different dot 4, dot 4 LV, and dot 5.1

Which do I use or choose?

I need to flush the brakes when I re-install the re-painted calipers; can anyone tell me the proper brake fluid and type to use? I'm on the brembo product page now and they have different dot 4, dot 4 LV, and dot 5.1

Which do I use or choose?

DOT 4 & 5.1 are compatible with each other. 5.1 has higher Min Boiling point standards, but you can find DOT 4 fluids with higher boiling points than some 5.1 fluids. Avoid DOT 5 (no ".1" (yes, confusing))

I'm partial to Motul, but that's probably a subject of strong opinions and debate.

The Motul fluids are an example of the DOT 4 fluids (RBF 6*0) with higher boiling point than the Motul 5.1

Last edited:
DOT 3 and 4 are compatible. They are ethylene-glycol derivatives. They scavenge water from your system. They need to be changed every other year at a minimum as they get old due to heat and water absorption. DOT 4 boils higher than DOT 3.

DOT 5 is hydrophobic. It will not scavenge water. My HMMWV uses it. It is NOT compatible with DOT 3 or 4

DOT 5.1 is also an ethylene-glycol derivative and can mix with DOT 3 and 4. DOT 5.1 boils even higher than DOT 3 and 4.

You should go ahead and use DOT 4 in a Roadster.

nice! my car comes with a instructional ever lasting video!!

This is my car in the video and Currentautomotive.com dealership I purchased from.

This is how I feel right now

That review was the best one I have seen. Your roadster is in excellent shape. High quality purchase - well done.

He mentions they (Current Auto) had the car serviced by Tesla - any detailed list of what services were performed? How much? Whenever I land a roadster, I would like to know what the Tesla Service actually services.

Reactions: jason.tv
That review was the best one I have seen. Your roadster is in excellent shape. High quality purchase - well done.

He mentions they (Current Auto) had the car serviced by Tesla - any detailed list of what services were performed? How much? Whenever I land a roadster, I would like to know what the Tesla Service actually services.

Just the standard maintenance; They put 4 new oem original yokahama tires, brake fluid flush, new coolant, and checked few other minimal things which prob took them 10 minutes, nothing major.

The annual service is where they are supposed to perform the entire checklist of the car including PEM cleaning which cost $650+ plus labor or more I don't know the exact cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: kwellmey
I really don't drive the car much; prob a weekend car, Should I be charging or having the car in storage mode instead of standard mode which is currently set.

I'd say I take the car out once every other week. For example this week the car is just sitting till the 18th or 20th and has been sitting for four days already until the headlights are completed and calipers are painted.

In my case what should I be doing? Is standard mode ok to charge in; of course I am taking the car out time to time but it's not like it's my daily driver so wondering to preserve the battery life for longest I can should I be charging in storage or am I fine in standard.

I really don't drive the car much; prob a weekend car, Should I be charging or having the car in storage mode instead of standard mode which is currently set.

I'd say I take the car out once every other week. For example this week the car is just sitting till the 18th or 20th and has been sitting for four days already until the headlights are completed and calipers are painted.

In my case what should I be doing? Is standard mode ok to charge in; of course I am taking the car out time to time but it's not like it's my daily driver so wondering to preserve the battery life for longest I can should I be charging in storage or am I fine in standard.

the consensus is leaving it plugged in Standard is AOK, even long term.

• Love
Reactions: jason.tv

Keeping it plugged in on Standard Mode is going to be the best for the battery as a weekend car. It’ll happily balance itself every 24 hours when it wakes up, which will improve the accuracy of your CAC over time as well.

Even when I used to leave for 3 - 6 weeks at a time (before quarantine days), I never used Storage Mode once.

Reactions: drewski
Keeping it plugged in on Standard Mode is going to be the best for the battery as a weekend car. It’ll happily balance itself every 24 hours when it wakes up, which will improve the accuracy of your CAC over time as well.

Even when I used to leave for 3 - 6 weeks at a time (before quarantine days), I never used Storage Mode once.

Thanks homie!

Maybe I'll get a second one to drive as my daily lol.

Mine have been kept in Standard mode for 10 years from previous owner. Very seldom driven during the years, only 7450miles. Live in cold Sweden and still have roughly 97% capacity in the original battery. Have CAC 155,51 and get roughly 187 miles range in Standard charge. So I would say judging from my car keep it in Standard mode.

img_7720-jpg.530371

Please take note:

Unless this picture is not showing the complete story.....I can't imagine you jacking up your car in a more unsafe fashion. Not only can you do damage to it, you do not have a secondary brace to keep it from coming down on your arm. I recently operated on someone for his open fracture of his forearm because he did exactly what you are doing. There are established ways of jacking up a Tesla roadster and established ways to place secondary jack-stands to keep the car from falling down on top of you. I suggested look these things up immediately. I would hate to see you get injured.

T