Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it's about that time to tackle the stereo and dynamat the firewall behind the seats.

I am going all out and upgrading the Stereo components and speakers; my experience and knowledge with audio allows me to tackle this project.

I am attempting to change the 4" speakers to the 5.25" speakers in the front and in the rears; we will see how this goes. I received the 3d printed files and found someone local in the area to print them; hopefully we can figure this out and make some modifications in order to make them fit. If anyone would like the 5.25" rings to to upgrade from the 4" speakers they are $50 for the set of four.

The Clarion 2510 amp is a 5 channel compact lightweight amp which powers 4 x 50w for the fronts and rears and 200w rms for the sub combined all in one so you don't need a second amp solely for a the sub.

Also going to upgrade the subwoofer in the existing location; just need to figure out how to mount a new one into the existing location. Hopefully i'll post pictures when everything is completed.

I went with the top of the line everything for the years to come; they have stronger or more expensive focal speakers but these are absolutely perfect for staying in the 50w max as the others output more such as 60w-80w

Sound difference - Video

Can't really tell in video but definitely an improvement; also applying 1/4 layer of dynaliner to the back wall over the dynamat so once the carpet is back on should greatly improve.

IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG

Last edited:
How do you remove the plastic B pillar thing that covers the seat belt spool and is the mount for the rear speaker?

The back plastic trim that runs along the back windshield picks up with a wedge tool held down by 3 of those push in tabs insert screw things; this requires little force as these are really wedged in there. We used a plyer to hold the insert then used a screwdriver underneath the plyer to wedge it up.

Once plastic piece is removed you can remove the carpet liner; underneath the carpet liner there is another tiny screw holding the far side of the b-pillar attaching to the far side of the rear speaker on each side. Also there is a screw underneath both of the rear speakers so the speakers need to come out as well.

once the back trim piece is removed; speaker removed; screw underneath speakers removed; and screw underneath carpet liner on far side of each rear speaker mounts the Plastic B-pillar thing trim snaps off with a little force.

Last edited:
Took me three weeks to find someone to come to the house to do the stereo installation and it's such a mission I don't even want to get into it; I'll just say what Medlockandsons does with the stereo upgrade is worth every single penny because this is not worth it for someone to attempt on your roadster.

Got the 5.25" speakers in the OEM existing ring so looks like nothing has changed.

Almost done; I will post video when everything is put back together.

Rear Speaker Test - Video

IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG

Last edited:
I'm back, and car is complete!

Car has been on lock down since little before Christmas and finally put back together. This was by far the most defeating task I have ever done in any car.

I believe I am the first person to achieve the 5.25" speakers in the rears while retaining the OEM speaker rings so everything looks factory. Extremely difficult as you need to shave the inner ring to the most outer edge to the point it's not even worth it; once you start you can't go back.

I had issues with radio guy and reversed polarity for couple weeks straight before I could figure out the issues. Then when putting the car back together the speaker rings in the rears hit the woofer so had to figure out the alignment and more shaving.

OEM subwoofer box needs shaving to put the new 200w rms subwoofer in; everything was a mission.

My setup:

Radio - Alpine INE-W987HD Digital media navigation receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield
Front Speakers and tweeters - Focal ES 100K K2 Power Series 4" component speaker system at Crutchfield
Rear Speakers - Focal Performance 130AS Access Series 5-1/4" 2-way component speaker system at Crutchfield I didn't use the tweeters or crossovers.
4 Channel Amp - Focal FDS 4.350 Compact 4-channel car amplifier — 58 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield
Subwoofer Amp - Focal FDS 1.350 Compact mono subwoofer amplifier — 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield
Rear Camera - Alpine HCE-C2100RD Surface-mount, multi-view backup camera — designed for Alpine video receivers at Crutchfield

IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG
63660390727__0F087160-74F4-40E0-84DC-119065781672.JPG
IMG_0940.JPG
IMG_0941.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    601.8 KB · Views: 58
Changed the ipod connector out for "Car Play" and now have easy access to update FW of alpine radio and or Splash Screen whenever needed through the glove box usb extender.

Also Ran the "ACC Radio Wire" and the "Speed Sensor" and channeled down to the rocker panel for easy access incase these wires are ever needed such as adding another "amp" or "sound fx unit".

Splash Screen - video

IMG_1231.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1218.JPG

Received the CF spoiler from @CM_007 - This one was a bitch to put on; not sure if I stripped the screws or what not on the left hand side but thank god he included longer screws; maybe the thread did need the longer screws I have no clue. Took me 3 hours to figure out.. ugh.

Overall came out great; also received the Carbon fiber side ducts which will be installed when we finally receive the correct brake pads in a few days; titaniumdave said something must of happened or error with the carbotech 1521 pads; Sure enough I contacts knsbrakes.com and they did mess up. They contacted carbotech and they sent me a return label which they received today, fixed, and already sending back. I should received those in a few days; that's when I can install the side ducts.

The next project is the Headlight buckets / internal housing done in carbon fiber; @drewski recommended the "Silver" color cf which would make the headlights POP and I kinda love the idea so I think I am going with it as the original CF look might be too dark underneath the lens of the headlight.

View attachment 547079 View attachment 547080 View attachment 547081 View attachment 547082
Jason is it two or three screws to install the carbon fiber side ducts. I see two with a flash light with the trunk up.

CarboTech fixed the issue with the pad thickness and shipped the front pads back now have finally installed all the Custom Rotors from @titaniumdave

Also did the Carbon Fiber side ducts from @CM_007 which were tricky to install at first until understood how to do them. The driver side Bass tube is in the way so it's not possible to get to the screw where my finger is pointed. The Bass tube or Bass Enclosure needed to be removed in order to access the screw but managed and figured it out.

Florida weather is really crappy; been raining all week so can't take the car out for a spin or test drive with the new rotors or to begin the embed process; hopefully it's a nice day tomorrow.

View attachment 548106 View attachment 548107 View attachment 548108 View attachment 548109 View attachment 548110
Drivers side bass enclosure? Where can i see details of this?