TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NEW Roadster seats: need advice

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by PokerBroker, Jan 17, 2014.

1. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I purchased a CPO 1.5 Roadster in August which needed replacement seats. Getting new seats has been a big problem as they have been trying to custom order the exact seats. After 5 months I am getting increasingly frustrated and they have now offered to replace my seats with new seats from a 2.5 Roadster. Any thoughts on how this might affect the value of my Roadster? Will being an incorrect year affect the value? Are their any differences in the seats in comfort or anything else? Personally, I like the tesla badge on the 1.5 seats better than the TESLA on the newer seats.

Current seats:
    oldseats.jpg

Proposed seats:
    newseats.jpeg

2. ibcs

ibcs Member

I'm very happy with my 2.5 seats. I don't think it will hurt the value of your car at all. If you add the double din your 1.5 is going to look like a 2.5 interior except for the shifter.

---Kent

3. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

The 2.5 seats are a bit more comfortable than the 1.5/2.0 seats. They have a bit more side support but are also about 1.5" higher. So if you are a tall person you might find that you now have less headroom.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I don't think anyone will care what version of seat you have. My 2.0 came with 2.5 seats, and I prefer them.

5. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

Won't affect the value of your car because Tesla almost does whatever they want with very little reasoning. That's why you'll see 1.5, unofficial 1.75 and 2.25's running out there.

Same goes for the Model S. Early sig's can't do the 120kw supercharging, then they changed the nose grill from early models, then they added various options (heated seats, etc). At the same time, they're all called Model S (model year won't help you, and they're not 1.0 or 2.0 or anything). That's just what I know about the Model S, which is very little.

But to get back to your question, 2.5 seats are more comfy and offer slightly improved lateral support. As DrComputer said, you'll lose a bit of headroom. They also have microfiber option which I really like.

6. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

Poker, i'd gladly exchange my grey/silver 1.5/2.0 seats for your new 2.5 seats ;)

7. Vip

Vip Member

PokerBroker, glad to see that you finally got the seats!

8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#8 wiztecy, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    How tall are you? You're going to sit higher in the 2.5 seats and I didn't like sitting higher. I actually want to sit a little lower than what the 1.5 seats are set at. Also the 2.5 seats don't have the lumbar pump that the 1.5's and some 2.0's came with. You'll have to buy the lumbar adjustment pads which cost extra. I do think you can shim the sides where you butt sits as well at the base. I'm 6' tall and had a loaner with the newer seats and personally didn't like them all that much. I did like how it gripped your sides better but that was about it, it does have more padding for your butt so there's a comfort thing there. For me, the 1.5 seats are more comfy on long trips, the grippy sides get annoying on long journeys unless you're in twisties. After returning the loaner with the 2.5 seats I found my torso sloshing around in turns, but I typically push pretty hard there.

If you like the 1.5 seats then just have them re-upholstered and ask for the $ credit difference for what the replacement would be. As for an impact for value, I don't think that'll be that much of an issue. If you weren't driving it and saving the Roadster as a trophy in time, maybe so, but otherwise don't worry people won't care or even like it even better. Seats can be a thing of opinion and personal preference. I'm searching for Lotus Elise Exige seats to swap mine out with. They're grippy on the sides, lower, and I can put my original Roadster seats in storage to preserve them.

9. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Don't bother buying the lumbar support pads. They're just pieces of foam that slide into the Velcro pockets in the seat back. Any foam will do.

10. Warrenbonz

Warrenbonz Member

When I initially considered buying a Roadster I was advised by a very knowledgable Tesla employee to wait as they were coming out with much improved seats. He was referring to the seats in the 2.5. I haven't spent a large enough amount of time in pre 2.5 seats to offer a meaningful comparison but I can say that I am very pleased with the seats in my 2.5.

11. bart513

bart513 Member

I loved my 1.5 seats with the lumbar support but didn't like sliding around on turns. My 2.5 seats are more supportive and comfy on longer drives. I do miss the 2 tone seats on my 1.5 as well:(

12. tomsax

tomsax Member

There was an issue with some 2.x seats rocking.

If your 2.5 seats don't do that, I don't think it will have any impact on the value of your car unless it is otherwise in perfect, original factory condition. As mentioned previously, even "original factory condition" is a moving target as all sorts of things changed within version numbers.

13. duquerr

duquerr New Member

Folks, I need t upgrade my 1.5 seats as the seams are giving up. The Tesla service center in San Rafael has been less than helpful... it took me several weeks to get a list of seats, but I can't even get pictures of the colors...

Any recommendations on doing this more efficiently?

Also, has anyone installed these T2 seats (Tecnocraft T3 Dry Carbon Fiber Seat
    ) ?

Thank you!

14. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

I have 2.5 seats (and double DIN) in my 1.5. I like them much better than my old ones. Partly they are more comfortable (I'm short) and partly I like the color scheme better.

I wouldn't hesitate.

In the long run, every Roadster will have a new battery - so none will be a pristine antique. For the next 25 years, the value will be based on fun, not rarity anyway.

15. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I went with new 1.5 seats and they are being installed this week along with a number of other cosmetic fixes! Looking forward to picking up my newly equipped roadster Saturday!

16. bart513

bart513 Member

Mazel PokerBroker!

17. ibcs

ibcs Member

Post pictures after you pick up your updated roadster!

---Kent

18. DeedWest

DeedWest 2011 Roadster 2.5 Sport #1438

Andrew, do you mind me asking how much it set you back to install 2.5 seats and double DIN? This is one of the options I'm considering in my hunt for a Roadster.

19. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Way too much..... Probably $8-10K total.

Also - I don't think service centers are doing these customizations right now.