Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roof Style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never opened the roof, except for demos or to confirm it still works. Too noisy, too windy.

But I like the headroom and the light - so I am all for a solid glass roof.
While I do not have Tesla (yet) my experience from our BMW's is I only open it fully maybe 2-3 times a year, at night. I am follically challenged and would have to wear a hat during the day. I do tip it up for ventilation frequently, several dozen times per year. However I can see a MPG drop when it's opened and in most cases, is more energy efficient to leave it closed and use the HVAC for cooling.

I'm wondering if they aren't planning to make the glass roof standard and eliminate the metal roof entirely. A lot of their changes lately have been driven by reducing differences. It'd eliminate 3 different parts for the headliner (2 alcantara coverings and the cloth covering). Might have impacts on the paint shop setup too.

I would be less likely to buy another Tesla Model S if forced to accept a pano roof. The bulges on the side (inside) for motors and rails are not acceptable.

I would be less likely to buy another Tesla Model S if forced to accept a pano roof. The bulges on the side (inside) for motors and rails are not acceptable.

Just note that the thought line is not for the pano to become the default option, but a fixed glass top without motors and rails would become the default (or at least an option in addition to the metal and pano roofs). So even if the metal roof gets dropped, you would not be forced to get the pano (at least, that is the general thought in this thread).

While I do not have Tesla (yet) my experience from our BMW's is I only open it fully maybe 2-3 times a year, at night. I am follically challenged and would have to wear a hat during the day. I do tip it up for ventilation frequently, several dozen times per year. However I can see a MPG drop when it's opened and in most cases, is more energy efficient to leave it closed and use the HVAC for cooling.

follically challenge -LOL, my favorite line in the entire thread.

I would definitely prefer a fixed glass roof over the other options, with all its benefits stated above.