TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Rotors - what to do with the old ones?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by gregd, Feb 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gregd

gregd Active Member

So I've got the new custom rotors and pads installed (Now Shipping: Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors), and saved the old set. What do I now do with the old ones? Turns out that the rear pads were almost done anyway, but rotors are fine. Do I:

A. Keep them for some buyer down the road (have no intention to ever sell the car, however)
    B. Try to sell the set to another Roadster owner (but see note below on weight)
    C. Toss / Recycle somehow

The old parts are WAAY heavier than the new, btw, so shipping is not advised. I could barely lift the box out of the car when I got home. This may be the biggest advantage of the custom rotors...

Thoughts?

2. Tesla 940

Tesla 940 Member

Total weight savings for all 4 rotors was/is 10 lbs.

I kept mine just in case I need them in the future.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I vote for the recycle.

4. RedOctober

RedOctober Member

I usually take my old ones to a scrap metal business. I held onto a set once for 5 years or so and never used the them. Same may happen with yours.

5. Hall-Morin

Hall-Morin Member

Commission someone to make garage clocks... ;-)

• Funny x 2
  6. gregd

gregd Active Member

Or, maybe in the spirit of these two weeks, a winter Olympics discus throw?

7. Tex EV

Tex EV Member

Ebay?
    ORIGINAL TESLA ROADSTER BRAKE ROTORS FALCON HEAVY ELON MUSK SPACEX FIRST IN SPACE BID NOW!

People are bidding Hot Wheels Roadsters above $100 right now... worth a shot? :p

• Funny x 1
  8. twiersum

twiersum Member

Can anyone grab a few measurements frim your stock rotors for me?

How thick is the face plate where studs go through. How wide is the back of the rotor hat where it goes over hub?

Thx

9. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

I save rotors for welding projects. Feet/bases for lawn art. Seats for contraptions.