TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New S 100D or CPO / Used AP1 Refresh P90D?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by OBX John, Apr 13, 2017.

1. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

Going to test drive a 100D tomorrow here in Raleigh NC on the tail end of our first road trip in my Dec.2016 S 60. I shared the story behind this trip in "Tesla Moments" but basically my wife tried my S 60 and now wants to give up her Suburban for it, so I get to buy another Tesla.

A new MS 100D would be around 10K more than the used 2016 P90Ds with under 10K miles I've seen, but not really a factor.

I want to go faster than my S 60, which both choices would do. The 335 mile range would be awesome, but not really required as we seem to get along pretty well with the 60 - then again, with superchargers starting to get crowded and some destinations simply not practical still for lesser batteries, the 100D makes a lot of sense.

I'm tempted by the maturity of AP1, the thrills of a P90D, and the likelihood that the seller has already XPELed the exterior and handled any production issues like the warped windshield in my 60.

On the other hand... the AP2 will keep getting better, hopefully surpassing AP1.

With a $115K budget, what would you do?

2. St Charles

St Charles Member

If it were my money, I would go with the new 100D. AP2 is very close to feature parity to AP1 with enough potential to push that front over the edge. Also the additional range of the 100kWh battery since it's actually 100kWh rather than the ~84kWh of the P90D option.

Also, IMO the performance of the P90D without Ludicrous isn't enough over the 100D. Additionally, if the CPO is a P90DL then the power draw from the motors at maximum acceleration is enough to damage the battery over time. Several P90DL owners are now working with Tesla on reduced performance and needing replacement batteries after less than 10,000 miles.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

I would go this route:
    Model S 100D 5YJSA1E29HF185085 | Tesla

You are a bit under budget, you get the tax break, so you can xpel tint etc with that money.

Just my .02 listening to what you said about range, and not really needing the P...

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

What about an Inventory P90D with AP2(FSD) for $127k, less the fed tax credit=$120k?

Only a little more than your budget, you get AP2/FSD, free supercharging, and the performance model.

Model S P90D 5YJSA1E42GF168208 | Tesla

Don't know if the colors/interior are to your liking, though.

• Like x 3
  5. OBX John

Great points - don't want to get a car that might only have 4000 miles, but which were all used impressing friends.

6. OBX John

That is interesting! Another wrinkle to consider.

7. OBX John

That makes a lot of sense. Love the white interior, not sure about blue exterior.

8. tpham07

tpham07 Member

get the 100D. If i were spending $100k+ on a car i would not buy used.

9. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Also, I forgot the $1k additional referral credit, and you might be able to talk Tesla into removing the FSD option for $3k, although some people have said they stopped doing that. Unless it's the end of the quarter, then you might be able to make a deal. So you could be looking at $116k at the end of the day.

10. OBX John

I'm starting to lean in that direction. Then I could get exactly what I want - thinking of getting another white one so the wife and I have a matching pair... :rolleyes:

11. OBX John

I'm struggling with the FSD. I have it on the 60, and I want it... but I know the software has a long way to go. I'd just like some kind of indication of when there will be a single difference between cars with and without it.

We are test driving a P100D - perhaps they'll want to move it before the end of the quarter?

• Like x 1
  12. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

• Like x 1
  13. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

i thought it would be a great combo.. I rode in a white interior car and loved. That blue is my favorite exterior too..

14. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

You should see the blue after an application of CQuartz Finest! Wow! I can't imagine any other color...but then I really love blue!

• Like x 1
  15. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

We've had our S 100D for a month now (may have been one of the first delivered after the EPA hold was released).

Compared to our S P85, the range difference is significant, and will reduce our supercharger use considerably for most of our road trips (which are usually 175 or 290 miles one way). With our P85 we had to stop for 5-10 minutes of charging on the 175 mile trip and had to stop twice for charging (about 10 minutes each stop) for the 290 mile trip.

With the S 100D, we were able to make the 175 mile trip without stopping - and had around 100 miles of range left at our destination. We haven't done the 290 mile trip yet, but expect we'll be able to skip the first supercharger stop.

Another surprise is that the published EPA rated range of 335 is less than what owners are measuring at 100% - 344 miles.

Musk may be right - with the 100 battery pack, we may now have enough range with our S 100D, that we shouldn't need any additional range for our normal driving.

With the long delay in introducing the S 100D, I did closely look at buying an S P100D instead, but decided the extra $$$ for the 2.x second acceleration wasn't worth giving up 20-30 miles of range. Plus, with our S P85's 4.2 0-60 acceleration (the same as the S 100D), we really can't even use that acceleration much under typical driving conditions anyway...

Our recommendation - go with the S 100D - performance is better than most cars on the road and the longer range is worth it (at 90%, we're seeing 307-308 miles!).

• Like x 1
  16. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Owning a 100D for several weeks now, I would 100% recommend it over any 90. performance and mileage per charge is amazing.

One thing I haven't seen compared yet is the charge rate which may also be significant. A 100D to 90% is still ~6 more kWh or about 14% more energy than a 90D 100% charged. What I would like to see if how fast the 100D could charge to 84% (equivalent to a 100% 90D charge). The tapering alone may be SIGNIFICANT in traveling. \i/

• Like x 1
  17. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

One thing that you should consider getting is the High Amperage Charger option. Why? When I got my Tesla last year, it wasn't a consideration in my mind. What changed my mind was going someplace a little too far from a Supercharger but there were nearby destination chargers that could do 80 amps - it would have been great to be able to charge at a faster rate so time wasn't inadvertently spent standing around. This also will work because with the upcoming Model 3, you may be able to negotiate priority charging since it won't take as long should you be in a similar situation. Since you're looking at 2 vehicles, it may make sense to do it so both cars can be charged on a single charger if necessary.

I elected to get a 100D (replacing a written off 90D) in order to maximize range and to potentially avoid line ups while traveling.

Hopefully, things will improve over the next few years as more Supercharging , destination and independent charging stations come online, although certainly Superchargers make a big difference.

• Like x 1
  18. OBX John

Took a test drive of the p100d today and honestly the acceleration is just too much! It was fun and felt under control but 4.2 seconds is really all I want.

So we put an order in on an S 100d... my wife really likes the look of the 21-inch wheels so we got that too; does anyone have them and know what the true range reduction is?

Driving a 2013 P85 right now while our S.60 getting checked out by service. Actually really like it, feels like the front seat goes back further which is great for my 6' 7" frame, but couldn't live without autopilot.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Good choice! I just took delivery of a 100D and could not be happier with it. I've been driving a 70D for 17,000 miles and rarely found a situation where the acceleration was not adequate, so the 100D is simply icing on the cake....

I also test drove a P90DL and while Sport and Ludicrous launches were both extremely expensive, it was too much. Cool party trick, but not $30,000 cool.

• Like x 2
  20. OBX John

Exactly - it is just a party trick for me too, I could not see a practical use... even showing off for clients, the regular car seems to be plenty. The 2.5 0 to 60 is almost nauseating.

What size wheels did you get? I like the look of the 21s, just trying to convince myself it's not a stupid choice.

Also going back and forth between sunroof and all glass roof - it seemed a little dark but I liked how big it was.