Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S features vs. the competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry - I'm not an S driver and don't come often to this forum so maybe this has already been discussed - but I didn't see it.

I'm looking at the new S being released and honestly am not impressed with the comfort features. Did they actually look at Mercedes, BMW, etc. and try to provide competing feature set? I once compared S and 3 and bought the 3 even though I'd rather buy upmarket model. Looking at the new S - I think I'd do the same again. So it has the amazing performance, some comforts - but it looks basically to be a souped up 3. You can play games and it has gaming controller - like that's what's important. Where is the HUD ?? Where is the top-camera?? Particularly for a $130K car. My 7-year old BMW has better comfort - and apparently paying double the Model 3 price still doesn't get me there. Sure now there are ventilated seats - a feature I never use on my BMW (and the BMW has massage too). There is an instrument cluster - but nothing important on it. The way you need to engage drive/reverse seems pretty ridiculous to me (a lot more inconvenient sliding on a screen). The yoke is a joke, I'd never buy a car with that. I was looking at the reviews and videos to see whether the updated S can be my next car - and honestly don't see that.

Some people like vanilla ice cream while others like chocolate chip-----we couldn't get rid of our BMW's fast enough. Most uncomfortable cars I have ever ridden in over the last seven decades.

Seriously? Guess you did not have comfort seats. BMW is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned. Hard for Model S seats to be Bimmer comfort seats. Currently own a 2021 5 Series and X5.

Ordered a Tesla Model S LR, but know that it won’t compare to my loaded 5 series in features, like the OP said above. I feel like I am overpaying for the Model S, but would really like to try a Model S.

Did they actually look at Mercedes, BMW, etc. and try to provide competing feature set?

Probably not .. they are re-inventing the wheel (into a Yoke it would appear) .. Tesla does reduction engineering in that they look for ways to remove/simplify. Likely you'll never see as plush of an interior as the high end BMWs or Mercedes but that doesn't mean that the Model S isn't comfortable, it's very comfortable and reports coming in about the Plaid seats are that it's even more so.

Teslas are insanely fun to own and drive, especially the Model S.

Attention isn't my thing ... but bring your highest end BMW and Tesla Model S into a parking lot full of people, you'll see a big crowd forming around the Tesla and a lonely BMW ;)

Probably not .. they are re-inventing the wheel (into a Yoke it would appear) .. Tesla does reduction engineering in that they look for ways to remove/simplify. Likely you'll never see as plush of an interior as the high end BMWs or Mercedes but that doesn't mean that the Model S isn't comfortable, it's very comfortable and reports coming in about the Plaid seats are that it's even more so.

Attention isn't my thing ... but bring your highest end BMW and Tesla Model S into a parking lot full of people, you'll see a big crowd forming around the Tesla and a lonely BMW ;)
especially if the crowd is composed of the next generation...pre teens to say, 25 year olds (the demo that many advertisers lust after)..they will flat out ignore BMW/Mercedes at Cars and Coffee and fawn over Teslas. I've literally seen them ignore very high end AMG's and go straight to a Model Y performance.

especially if the crowd is composed of the next generation...pre teens to say, 25 year olds (the demo that many advertisers lust after)..they will flat out ignore BMW/Mercedes at Cars and Coffee and fawn over Teslas. I've literally seen them ignore very high end AMG's and go straight to a Model Y performance.

No doubt about kids and Model Y’s … they just glaze over my S and go straight to the wife’s Y. I don’t get it.

Did they actually look at Mercedes, BMW, etc. and try to provide competing feature set?
No. Because they frankly don’t care and I imagine don’t see themselves competing on those merits.

If your priorities are burled manzanita sapling trim, triple contrast race-inspired stitching, and 61-way adjustable seats plus selectable Swedish, Thai, or Deep Tissue massage with optional reacharound function, you’re looking at the wrong car.

Sorry - I'm not an S driver and don't come often to this forum so maybe this has already been discussed - but I didn't see it.

I'm looking at the new S being released and honestly am not impressed with the comfort features. Did they actually look at Mercedes, BMW, etc. and try to provide competing feature set? I once compared S and 3 and bought the 3 even though I'd rather buy upmarket model. Looking at the new S - I think I'd do the same again. So it has the amazing performance, some comforts - but it looks basically to be a souped up 3. You can play games and it has gaming controller - like that's what's important. Where is the HUD ?? Where is the top-camera?? Particularly for a $130K car. My 7-year old BMW has better comfort - and apparently paying double the Model 3 price still doesn't get me there. Sure now there are ventilated seats - a feature I never use on my BMW (and the BMW has massage too). There is an instrument cluster - but nothing important on it. The way you need to engage drive/reverse seems pretty ridiculous to me (a lot more inconvenient sliding on a screen). The yoke is a joke, I'd never buy a car with that. I was looking at the reviews and videos to see whether the updated S can be my next car - and honestly don't see that.
You're not wrong about this. Tesla just doesn't prioritize luxury. They put most of their effort into technology and evolving their product line. Don't forget, just a few short years ago they were struggling to survive. I also think part of the reason they don't introduce the luxury of a BMW or Maserati is cost. They'd have a really hard time selling the base MS around the 80k price point.

Moments of genius in the Tesla that other cars just don't offer.
  • I love pulling up to my house and having the garage door open automatically.
  • Having a continuously recording 4 camera dash cam was important to me as was 4 camera security monitoring with the included Sentry Mode.
  • Have a business or area that the car bottom might scrape on? Just set the car to raise once and remember, and the car will always raise up to your chosen height at that location, and then lower when leaving.
  • You can set the seat and steering wheel settings to the best position for you to exit the car, and it automatically goes to this position for entry/exit.
  • Waiting for someone -- your car will keep you comfortable with AC or heat.
  • You can leave your dog in the car in heat or cold, and the "Dog Mode" will keep the pet comfortable while you are away, allowing you to monitor the car interior with your phone.
  • Camp in your car and it will keep your temperature comfortable overnight.

No. Because they frankly don’t care and I imagine don’t see themselves competing on those merits.

If your priorities are burled manzanita sapling trim, triple contrast race-inspired stitching, and 61-way adjustable seats plus selectable Swedish, Thai, or Deep Tissue massage with optional reacharound function, you’re looking at the wrong car.
Lol and I agree 💯 😊. Tesla’s not for everyone 👍

I own a Model 3 and a 5 series BMW. I am very well aware how fun Teslas are to drive. Yet every time I sit in my Tesla - there are things I'm missing, and I wish I was in the BMW. I can understand that for Model 3 - it's more economy-level car (relatively speaking) so no room for some features. In a newly redesigned Model S though - particularly in price range north of $100K - that is kind of unforgivable.

My priorities are NOT comfort and nothing else. What I'm saying is when I buy a high-end sedan - I expect that don't need to feel like it's missing basic stuff. I'm not asking for the sky here - but seriously, no top camera (in this price range) ?? No HUD ?? But they did spend (I bet) inordinate amount of resources to produce the ridiculous yoke. I can't help but feel disappointed. When I first bought my BMW - I felt the car is perfect, and I was very happy for a few years. I've never felt that way about a Tesla - no matter how great it is in some respects - it's always missing some basic and important stuff. Just feels like a missed opportunity.

My priorities are NOT comfort and nothing else. What I'm saying is when I buy a high-end sedan - I expect that don't need to feel like it's missing basic stuff. I'm not asking for the sky here - but seriously, no top camera (in this price range) ?? No HUD ?? But they did spend (I bet) inordinate amount of resources to produce the ridiculous yoke. I can't help but feel disappointed. When I first bought my BMW - I felt the car is perfect, and I was very happy for a few years. I've never felt that way about a Tesla - no matter how great it is in some respects - it's always missing some basic and important stuff. Just feels like a missed opportunity.
The 360 cam is apparently coming (albeit on Elon Time, so you know, maybe never) and I agree this one is an oversight that should be presumably easy to fix.

I find HUDs to be stupid and they're obviously out of alignment with Tesla's "the car will drive itself" ambition (setting aside for a moment their ability to actually deliver on that), so no surprise on that feature being omitted.

The yoke is a joke and a great example of what happens when 20-something software engineers are put in charge of designing cars.

The Taycan definitely has better build quality an better interior materials. Hands down.
But at a higher price, less range, slower acceleration, no supercharging network.

All depends on priorities.

The 360 cam is apparently coming (albeit on Elon Time, so you know, maybe never) and I agree this one is an oversight that should be presumably easy to fix.

I find HUDs to be stupid and they're obviously out of alignment with Tesla's "the car will drive itself" ambition (setting aside for a moment their ability to actually deliver on that), so no surprise on that feature being omitted.

The yoke is a joke and a great example of what happens when 20-something software engineers are put in charge of designing cars.
Well - it's good news about the top cam, at least there is hope.

The HUD is not stupid at all. I'm guessing you've never owned a car with a HUD. It is easily one of the most functional features - and an amazing experience.

I find the argument that "it doesn't fit Tesla vision for self-driving" somewhat lame (and that is not directed at you - I've heard that many times). The reality is 90% of the time I drive the car myself, and that is not going to change no matter how good FSD becomes. Sure I use it on highways and what not - but it's not like we will never drive ourselves. Not even talking about how unlikely it is we will have fully-functional FSD that you can disengage from in the next 5 years. I guess with Tesla it's an ideological thing - "we don't do HUD, period". Like Samsung doesn't have Dolby Vision on their TVs - regardless of how it doesn't make any sense. They take a stand and that's it. I'm disappointed as a consumer. I think higher priced Tesla should offer these features - maybe not the $80K model S, but the next step up (5-10K+ for features).

Reactions: Maxpilot