Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S P100d owner with warranty about to expire.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Plood

Plood, not Plaid?
Feb 12, 2022
Plano, TX
I’m buying a 2018 P100d in the bright silver color from my across the street neighbor who had it since new, his third, with new S Plaid incoming. Very good price at what broker offered him.

85k miles so it’s past warranty on the “earlier of” rule, so maybe the March 4 year anniversary is irrelevant. I drove very little so might put 1000 miles a year on. After a few years a high 80s mileage 2018 will be more normal and marketable.

Is there anything I should rush to push a warranty claim the seller might not have bothered with? Probably too late due to miles.

He didn’t mind the yellow screen border, which I plan to have UV treated and replace and upgrade unit if unsatisfied. I’ll also plan to replace a few interior scratched items like console lid when practical. Maybe pedals. Needs floor mats. Will check with service on items I can freshen up with parts replacements.

There are probably sources here but I’ll be checking when delivered on what computer hardware etc it has, to consider any upgrades. Has the advanced driving control (not up on terminology yet) and Ludicrous+ in place.

The deal is so good and friendly that I’m not worried about advice to check for a feature before I buy. Just what to think about shopping for when I own it.

Also will explore here for other upgrades and accessories to consider. Love the color so don’t need wrap. Illuminated sills are a “why not?” Unless there’s some reason not to.

Paying $40k+ under new base model, getting my favorite color and nice wheels, so I can afford a few upgrades where sensible.

Thanks for any thoughts, and apologies if this is duplicative.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and SilverGS
The main thing you’ll want to look for on a March 2018 car is whether you have the old Nvidia Tegra infotainment computer (MCU1) or the newer Intel unit (MCU2). March 2018 is the month they made the switch.

If you don’t have MCU2, it’s a very worthwhile upgrade for $2k, will make the car feel new again.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
@Plood congrats on the new car, sounds like you got a good deal you’re happy with. I’d not bother to engage with Glide, all he really does here is piss in peoples’ cheerios and spread misinformation.
That's OK. Without the irrationally risk averse I'd have spent much more for all the cars I've owned in the last 30 years.
$40K under new base model means nothing. They are two completely different vehicles.

A 2015 P85D can be had for $100K under original sticker! So what?

My advice: don’t buy ANY Tesla outside the warranty period.
Wow. You must get invited to all the best parties.

This tells you all that you need to know about Glide, along with his arbitrary disagree downvotes on my factual posts. 😆

He mad. Mostly at himself it seems because he vehemently hates Tesla but keeps buying new ones.

8FB5FA42-3153-4646-BA44-E1E23831DCB0.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Jpandes and GWord
Before starting a new thread, am I safe to assume that all of a used car's past history of service is open to the buyer, and not kept confidential to the seller? I have a friendly seller who would share anything, but wonder on the small chance if he will lose access and I won't get access?

Before starting a new thread, am I safe to assume that all of a used car's past history of service is open to the buyer, and not kept confidential to the seller? I have a friendly seller who would share anything, but wonder on the small chance if he will lose access and I won't get access?
tesla wont give you *sugar* on the history of the car.

Also don't worry about the warranty expiring, if something craps out buy a new part and move on. no matter what breaks its still cheaper than buying a new car. My warranty expires in Dec this year and if the battery takes a *sugar* after that then ill buy a new pack for whatever the price is ($22k last i heard someone mention) that is a lot cheaper than spending another $100k on a car like i did when i got this one.

Reactions: Plood
Interesting. What should I ask my friend the seller to provide me that he will lose access to upon transfer? Something he can dump into an email? Hopefully easier than phone screenshots.
The entire service history for the current vehicle owner is available in the service section of the app.

If this is a multiple-owner situation you will not be able to view past records.

Reactions: Jpandes