Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S Plaid HP/trap/technical discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

byeLT4

Feb 16, 2017
Texas
I know not everyone is concerned with performance but this thread is for those who are! I am really scratching my head over the trap speed (155) and trying to break the numbers down in my head. I thought peak power happens on a P100D around 45 MPH, and that it was limited to battery output. I understand Plaid will have much more power but from where? With range being similar (any chance of software limiting?) are they just dumping way more amps? Can we assume voltage is the same? Are the motors really THAT much more efficient making power? I just can't wrap my head around the current needed to run a 155 quarter mile, even if it is only 9.23 seconds at a time LOL!

Reactions: SmartElectric
Where are you seeing the 155 trap speed published?
Image-1.jpeg
Image-1 2.jpeg

I know not everyone is concerned with performance but this thread is for those who are! I am really scratching my head over the trap speed (155) and trying to break the numbers down in my head. I thought peak power happens on a P100D around 45 MPH, and that it was limited to battery output. I understand Plaid will have much more power but from where? With range being similar (any chance of software limiting?) are they just dumping way more amps? Can we assume voltage is the same? Are the motors really THAT much more efficient making power? I just can't wrap my head around the current needed to run a 155 quarter mile, even if it is only 9.23 seconds at a time LOL!

I think the slide from battery day describe it.

Each 4680 cell has 5x the energy, 6x the power and 16% more range. Density wise, he's probably putting in less cells in the same volume pack, but I'm guessing the energy/power gains are more than the physical loss of sell due to the larger size.

Just a thought.
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 2.57.28 PM.png

I think the slide from battery day describe it.

Each 4680 cell has 5x the energy, 6x the power and 16% more range. Density wise, he's probably putting in less cells in the same volume pack, but I'm guessing the energy/power gains are more than the physical loss of sell due to the larger size.

Just a thought.
View attachment 631392

LR and Plaid still use 18650s... But their specs say new carbon sleeved rotors in the motors allow them to keep peak power all the way to the top speed.

I really want to see one run at the track. I'm all giddy that it will basically be trapping what the top speed of the current Ludicrous is.....

Will these even be allowed to run at the track. Last time I was into this was a few years ago and IIRC modded cars trapping 150+ needed a chute, or was it a cage? This is crazy stupid fast, I want one soooo bad :D

I really want to see one run at the track. I'm all giddy that it will basically be trapping what the top speed of the current Ludicrous is.....

Will these even be allowed to run at the track. Last time I was into this was a few years ago and IIRC modded cars trapping 150+ needed a chute, or was it a cage? This is crazy stupid fast, I want one soooo bad :D

Brooks from DragTimes will have plenty of vids next month :cool:

It says carbon sleeved, not carbon-fiber sleeved... And is very specifically about the motors:

View attachment 631442
What's the "*" for in the 1.99s? Placeholder for future fine print? Perhaps "going downhill with rocket boosters on Mars", or "on you very first launch after delivery before we limit the performance to save your battery from damaging itself", or "coming via OTA update soon"? ;)

It wouldn't be the first fine print to Tesla advertised performance specifications added years later. I still have the 691hp (yea right) P85D they sold me, only to fine print it 2 years later to "limited by battery to 463hp" - it also came with a promised "high-speed passing-power OTA upgrade" which 6 years later is still not here.

Whoa!! No way, I was thinking that the "Yoke" steering wheel would be reserved to the Plaid+, but not, even the LR will have it !!!!

Scratching my head, still so many questions:

1. I wonder why the Plaid+ will be only available only "Late 2021" (?)

2. Does this mean December 2021?

3. Why so much delay since the Plaid (thee-motor) will be available in March 2021? (even with Torque Vectoring)

4. Could this delay explain the use of 4680 Cells for the Plaid+ ?

5. Would a Track Mode be available in the future, to get the Nürburgring fastest EV time !!!

5. What could be the Plaid+ battery size to explain the 520 Miles+ instead of 390 Miles?

5. Would the European Model S have the CCS 2 port like the Model 3/Y to get access to fast chargers?

6. Don't Elon talked about a 7 Seat Plaid in the past?

7. Could an even faster Plaid++ would be possible in 3 to 5 years?

8. Would a two speed gearbox would be added in the future?

9. I wonder what kind of menu will be available for the 3rd display? (Heating rear seats and whole car AC/Heat ?)

Last edited:
Whoa!! No way, I was thinking that the "Yoke" steering wheel would be reserved to the Plaid+, but not, even the LR will have it !!!!

Scratching my head, still so many questions:

1. I wonder why the Plaid+ will be only available only "Late 2021" (?)

2. Does this mean December 2021?

3. Why so much delay since the Plaid (thee-motor) will be available in March 2021? (even with Torque Vectoring)

4. Could this delay explain the use of 4680 Cells for the Plaid+ ?

5. Would a Track Mode be available in the future, to get the Nürburgring fastest EV time !!!

5. What could be the Plaid+ battery size to explain the 520 Miles+ instead of 390 Miles?

5. Would the European Model S have the CCS 2 port like the Model 3/Y to get access to fast chargers?

6. Don't Elon talked about a 7 Seat Plaid in the past?

7. Could an even faster Plaid++ would be possible in 3 to 5 years?

8. Would a two speed gearbox would be added in the future?

9. I wonder what kind of menu will be available for the 3rd display? (Heating rear seats and whole car AC/Heat ?)
Plaid + is clearly going to use 4680 cells. They simply are not ready to produce those in volume. Higher energy density and discharge rate for the 4680 will be the reason Plaid + has much more range and quickness respectively.